Lenormand; when did it become 36 cards?

Le Fanu

I think I've kind of found an answer to this question...

The only known deck published after Mme Lenormand's death was that weirdly indecipherable Grand Jeu Lenormand deck. It bears no relationship to the so-called Lenormand decks with rings and foxes and clouds etc

The Lenormand deck which we are familiar with seems to be traceable to (don't be shocked) Germany (see A Wicked Pack of Cards p 141). The iconography is more similar to German decks than French decks. Detlef Hoftman has shown that their prototype can be clearly traced back to "a lovely pack of fancy cards" called das Spiel der Hofnung published in Nurenberg, Germany (was it Prussia then?) in 1800 and is actually a racing game using "36 illuminated cards."

The cards are arranged in a square in numerical order (6 X 6 cards?), dice are thrown and you move the counters and try to reach the 36th card. Some "squares/cards" are lucky, some unlucky. A bit like Snakes & Ladders. Landing on flowers would be good, landing on the coffin would be bad (kind of thing.) Instructions to the game bear the line "with the same cards one can also undertake an entertaining fortune telling game." But weirdly, only 32 cards are used (to tell fortunes; 8 rows of four). The symbols and numbers are exactly the same as the "petit lenormands".

Basically, there is no evidence that these kinds of cards were used by Mme Lenormand or indeed that they derive from French packs. Accounts of her reading with cards are very non-specific. Later writers have talked of the "Bezique" deck or the "Piquet" deck (both containing 32 cards) and these cards with the familiar symbols are seemingly not French at all. They have more in common with German/Bavarian decks and - of course - are much more available in Germany nowadays than any other country. No coincidence perhaps. No deck of this type was produced in France until the end of the 19th Century when it was erroneously marketed as a "Lenormand" deck.

cardlady22

}) So I can muck about with them and get strange. :p
Everyone else has!

Thank you, Le Fanu!

And please drop more info when you find it, Laura!

Laura Borealis

This isn't the page I was thinking of, but it might be helpful:
http://autorbis.net/marie-anne-adelaide-lenormand

Lenormand cards are the name of some divination decks, which appeared after the death of Anne-Marie Lenormand - others authors used the well-known name for their own interests:

The "Grand jeu de Mlle Lenormand" appeared 2 years after her death in the year 1845 and was offered together with a collection of 5 books...

The deck had 54 Karten including a female and a male card presenting the consultant. The content of the 5 books included themes of astrology, chiromanty and other forms of divination. The pictures of the deck showed scenes of Greek mythology, star pictures, geomantic symbols, 22 letters (Kabbala), 7 talismans, playing cards and flowers. Variations of the cards (now with 55 cards) were produced ca. 1850 in Germany by the publisher J.F. Aug. Reiff with the name "Wahrsage-Karten der berühmten Mlle Le Normand".

The "Petit Lenormand" with 36 cards was published also ca. 1850... A connected divination system with cards only used 32 of the 36 symbols.

Laura Borealis

The question remains, why did the 36 card pack become the "legit" one? :confused:

Le Fanu

The question remains, why did the 36 card pack become the "legit" one? :confused:
It's kind of a weird question and like so much stuff in divination history, a bit of a hotch potch of invented stuff and spurious claims. I must say, what I read of Mme Lenormand she doesn't sound like the gentile little card reader I had her cut out as. In & out of prison and battling with the police and writing books that basically made up lots and lots of stuff, on the run, beefing up her "friendships" with royalty etc etc, claiming to have predicted futures for famous post-revolutionary figures who were actually - er - dead at the time she claimed (in countless memoirs) to have read for them, though there is a mention in one memoir it seems that she used to throw "33 Greek sticks" into a triangle :bugeyed:.

That doesn't help much either, does it? :D

I think the whole thing is an invention to be honest, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the cards' quaintness. I don't for one minute believe that this lady invented the deck. But I do like it...

Laura Borealis

She does seem to have been an interesting woman! Someone should do a nice juicy biography of her, or a historical novel. I rather like the con-woman aspect. :D

I found what I remembered reading! And it was a supposed eyewitness -- someone she read for.

Upon this, she took, in addition to some seven packs of cards which already lay on the table, seven packs more, making in all fourteen packs. They were, however, of very different kinds; for instance, Tarok-cards, old German cards, whist cards, cards marked with the celestial bodies, cards with necromantic figures, and I know not what all besides. She now shuffled one pack after another, giving me each pack, after she had shuffled it, to cut. Naturally, I was going to do this with the right hand, but she prevented me, and said, 'La main gauche, monsieur.' To try whether she said this merely to mystify me, or would seriously make a point of it, I cut the second pack with the left hand, but took the right again to the third; but she interposed instantly, and repeated, 'La main gauche, monsieur.' Out of each pack, after cutting, I had to draw (still with the left hand) a certain number of cards, prescribed by her; not the same number out of each pack, but from one more, from another less: from the Tarok cards, for instance, twenty-five; from another pack, six; from a third, ten; and so on. The cards thus drawn she arranged in a certain order on the table: all the rest were put aside.

So according to this witness, she used a lot of different packs of cards, mixed together. She also read his palm and looked up information in books during the consultation. The man who is supposed to be recounting this is named Malchus. This is in The Eclectic Magazine of Foreign Literature, Science and Art, Volume XIIII, 1848 (so, not long after her death). It's on Google Books here... from the Harry Houdini collection in the U.S. Library of Congress.

I have only read a fraction...! The article looks fascinating though. It looks like it can be downloaded, too.

ETA I have it downloaded as a PDF. :D

tarotmama

I think the whole thing is an invention to be honest, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the cards' quaintness. I don't for one minute believe that this lady invented the deck. But I do like it...

There's no doubt she didn't invent the 36 Lenormand that we know. I believe she had a daughter that claimed to have one of her decks, but I can't recall where I read that or if anything came from those cards.

I think the history is fun because it informs how we might consult the cards. Lenormand was a smart modern woman and the deck is a smart modern oracle!

andybc

A few people who consulted her went on to recall it in their memoirs and diaries. Lady Shelley and Captain R.H. Gronow all offer some interesting titbits, but the memoirs of the Baron Malchus offer the fullest account of Lenormand.

When they are all looked at together they do appear to agree on a few things:

a) she asked a few questions before hand, which appear to be age, day of birth, favourite number, animal and colour.
b) she used a collection of mixed decks which contained handwritten markings.
c) quite a few say that she read right to left, ‘eastern’ style.
d) I think its malcus and gronow who say she asked whether they wanted the ‘grand’ or ‘petit’ jeu, which appears to refer to the laying of the cards.

I think it’s Gronow who says she was using German not French playing cards too. Someone also says she had some sort of mirror to prevent her clients seeing the cards, which doesn’t seem right.

I’ve never thought the Lenormand decks were increased to 36 cards. As has been mentioned A Wicked Pack of Cards say they originate from a racing game and a couple of other German decks have 36 cards. The trouble with a Wicked Pack of Cards is that it was written by a couple of authors, so it does contradict itself. It says in one part that she consistently used a 32 card pack, but later goes on to say this wasn’t the case when they debate whether she was using Ettelia. Her tarots appear to be TdM trumps also.

Mlle. Lenormand’s nephew and heir (she had no children, never married) is said to have taken out some sort of complaint and denounced the woman who claimed she was Lenormand’s apprentice, and whose name is linked to the Grand Jeu. Lenormand did say throughout her life she never instructed anyone.

Laura Borealis

Thank you, andybc -- that clears up some things!
Your blog looks like a goldmine of info to me, also :eek:
I'll definitely be back to read it when I have time.

Very interesting link, CL -- that method appears to be using 7-King, plus aces and twos?
It looks so complicated :bugeyed: Have you tried it?