Death...

dolphinprincess

The Death card is the only card that is named after a Tarot card.. and one of the few in the deck that correlates to tarot (that I can see)..

I drew Death last night... I am going through a bit of a transition right now.. I am trying to simplify my life.. narrow down my interests.. and spend more time on less things instead of less time on more things... (in other words, I seem to be know a little about a lot and a lot about little.. ).. I am needing to let go and walk away from a few things that I enjoy... so I can see the change aspect and how it is relating to my life right now...

I am curious... Do you view the Death card here in the same context as Death in the tarot?

Chronata

That's a really good question,dolphinprincess.

I suppose I do, in some way relate the FO Death card to the tarot Death...but only if it's the Vertigo tarot.

The Vertigo Death is based on the Death and Sandman comics, where Death is a wise, ancient, childlike, carefree, spunky, funloving, chick...who just has a job to do, and does it very well...usually with a ton of compassion.

I love that character, and I love that archetype...and she just naturally fits into the Otherworld of Faerie so perfectly for me.

sagitarian

Hmm...interesting. Actually, no i don't view the death card in this deck to view the same thing (although it can) but i see that as more the singer of transition (change or fluxation). The death card to me usually talks about "cloaking" something, whether it be something in the past or present. It's not a fear persay (although we may cloak our fears too) and it's not exactly "hiding" either. It usually represents "skeletons-in-the-closet" type of thing. This could be secrets (to our selves or others), or it can also be a symbol of "it's time to put this away now" message. For an example, two people who spend their lives together, say the man has a special room (study room) and after his death, the wife may go and "cloak" (put sheets) over everything in the room, as if the room and all of his things have died and must be covered as well. One day, the sheets will be removed, and the things will be handled again, but for now, it's time to "cloak" or perhaps it's time to "uncloak" them.

It's hard for me sometimes to describe what I feel from the cards in a "general" meaning type of way; a lot of my reading revolves around what surrounds the other cards, what kind of question is asked, what emotions i am picking up from the querent. To generalize these cards is quite difficult.

In relation to what you are talking about, I believe the death card here is representing the idea that you are "putting things aside" (cloaking) for now, and focusing yourself on other things (uncloaking). So here, i would say you are doing both.

What a wonderful post Dolphinprincess, and a great question indeed! i can't wait to hear what some others have to say about this fae.

Aura Wolf

To answer your question...yeah, pretty much. Except this "death" is in faery form :D

Alissa

This Faery is strange.

Sometimes She is kinda sad to me, she comes, sorrowful, almost regretful of the things She's going to take from you, never to be returned - at least, not in this life.

Other times, I think I she's just plain misunderstood. If Death didn't clear the way, none of us could make it. I believe Brian Froud said in the book something like, "Nothing would ever pass away, we'd be up to our ears in each other, and life, and bugs, and animals, and plants....."

Death is tidy that way.

And of course we get to surrender to that process in the end, ourselves. We get to take the orb for our own and look inside. We get to peek beneath Her sheet, see what's hiding on the other side of Her veil.

What is She's a beautiful woman, ready to take you in Her arms?

dolphinprincess

This may seem "out there"... but there is something that came into my mind immediately, the first time I saw this card...

The woman ( I am not positive this Faerie is a woman, but to me she is) is holding something in her hand.. something round... and at first glance, I thought it was an apple..

This card has always reminded me of Snow White... when the wicked queen tries to tempt Snow White with the poison apple... You can't see her face.. so you may trust her when you see her.. but be wary of accepting any gifts...

I have no idea how to apply these thoughts to the everyday... which is why I tend to read her like the Tarot death.. bc that is what I 'know'... but when I drew her the other night, I immediately thought of 'change' as I mentioned in my original post..

So, I agree with Sagitarian - that sometimes the Faeries may say one thing one day.. and something else another day...

But, I'd really like to explore the "snow white" meaning more - as it was the very first thing that popped into my head with this card when I got the deck...

I think it will take time to truly understand her...

Aura Wolf

Dolphinprincess--I really like your Snow White analogy :)

ScarabFlight

I find it very interesting how different people see this card so differently. As soon as I saw the card I saw it as a female, when my sister saw it she said it was definately male and definately attractive. lol I guess it's true that they are mirrors for our own experiences.

Jewel

dolphinprincess said:
I'd really like to explore the "snow white" meaning more - as it was the very first thing that popped into my head with this card when I got the deck...

That is really interesting ... temptation, trust (or lack of). Just for fun you should compare the death card with the fairy godmother card. This might add to your insight and understanding. I would love to read more on your observations.

dolphinprincess

Jewel said:
That is really interesting ... temptation, trust (or lack of). Just for fun you should compare the death card with the fairy godmother card. This might add to your insight and understanding. I would love to read more on your observations.

this is an excellent suggestion!!!!!