Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

If you had to choose only one book on learning the tarot, what would it be?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Books & Media

Citizen

VioletEye 
Citizen

funny that this thread should pop up just now - "tarot - the open reading" was recently recommended to me, and i was just looking at it on amazon this morning! you have the option to "look inside", and i was reading a bit of it; it looks like it's packed with information, and written in a very accessible way. i mean, i'm pretty good at reading dense text, but sometimes books on the tarot can leave you scratching your head and reading the same paragraph three times in a row...

and to be on topic, my favorite book that i actually have read is the already recommended rachel pollack's "78 degrees of wisdom". i refer to it ALL the time - and the more that i study the tarot, the more i'll notice some juicy little detail that i had overlooked the last time! it keeps getting richer ~
Top   #41
Resident

vinLove 
Resident

I feel that each different type of deck, it needs books written for the deck type specifically. For instance I find Yoav's "Tarot The Open Reading" excellent for TDM decks, but not totally relevant to RWS or other non TDM decks.
Top   #42
Always learning.....

Thoughtful 
Always learning.....

I have just ordered Yoav's book as it does deal purely with Marseille decks and the illustrations are of his own tarot deck, l have been wanting a book like this for a while. It will be interesting reading his book l'm looking forward to it. The reviews on amazon are all 5 star.
Top   #43
pirate borealis

Laura Borealis 
pirate borealis

It's on US Amazon too - and wish listed.
Top   #44
Citizen

3ill.yazi 
Citizen

Skimmed these. Now I'm torn between ben Yoavs book and Joan Bunning or Dusty White. Yoavs is the least expensive, so I may go there.
Top   #45
Citizen

ann823 
Citizen

If you join Dusty White's forum you can see a lot of the exercises in various threads there. His book is more experiential than most books and you can get a sense from the forum whether or not this is what you're looking for. On his "easy tarot lessons" site he has quite a few podcasts, all free.
Top   #46
Resident

kaushalyaandfrank 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann823 View Post
If you join Dusty White's forum you can see a lot of the exercises in various threads there. His book is more experiential than most books and you can get a sense from the forum whether or not this is what you're looking for. On his "easy tarot lessons" site he has quite a few podcasts, all free.
Dusty White or Biddy Tarot's Foundations, both are practically oriented and encourage you to develop your own intuitive understanding of the cards.
Top   #47
Resident

DamianStraton 
Resident

The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals, by Mary K. Greer.

Great book.
Top   #48
Citizen

3ill.yazi 
Citizen

I've now had a chance to purchase and get into Dusty White's book, so I'm amending my vote to be for his book.
Top   #49
Resident

shadowmack 
Resident

I am surprised not to see Tarot 101 on this list - by Kim Huggens. It's filled with great exercises that help you build a relationship with each card. Check it out!
Top   #50

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.