Is using / studying tarot safe?

gregory

It's just fear about what people do not understand. What we cannot understand does often scare us - and a lot of people have absolutely no idea, and have seen stupid movies and read daft books which use it as a scary thing for effect.

It isn't dangerous at all, except in showing you sides of yourself you might have hoped to ignore :D Quite a lot of people here use tarot and aren't at all dead yet :D

techn1k

Thanks for all replies, that's really reassuring. It seems someone tried to induce fear in me for some reason (it wasn't very healthy relationship anyway). After reading "Seventy eight degrees of wisdom", and even before getting my first deck, I became fascinated with the philosophical concept of Tarot. Small pebble of fear was always somewhere in the corner of my head but I'm getting rid of it.

Simple idea behind Tarot (that some knowledge is obtainable only through wordless experience and intuition) was really refreshing and opened something in my head. I am becoming aware of these 'hunches' I was usually ignoring. It's a bit like finding the long forgotten room in your house.

Sorry for this babble but there is so much to express! ;)

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate it.

mrpants

Small pebble of fear was always somewhere in the corner of my head but I'm getting rid of it.

Simple idea behind Tarot (that some knowledge is obtainable only through wordless experience and intuition) was really refreshing and opened something in my head. I am becoming aware of these 'hunches' I was usually ignoring. It's a bit like finding the long forgotten room in your house.

Glad to hear it, you can have some really enriching experiences with the cards. I hope to read more posts about your journey in the future!

celticnoodle

100% safe, for the Tarotist, their family, and their friends. So is being a psychic BTW. I've been doing both for many years now with no ill effects.

Plus it's fun.
ditto. tarot & oracle reader, psychic-medium here too and I'm fine. My family members for generations did this too and no side effects to speak of.

techn1k

More seriously, though, when I've heard people talking about working magic or spellcraft having a price, it was because they were using or tapping into energies that didn't belong to them, and magic requires an exchange (or sacrifice, if you want to get all spooky about it).

I'm not even sure the story she told was true. I believed her then and she was convincing. Who knows, maybe that woman played with something she shouldn't?

She did mention the 'price' concept and for a while I thought it might apply to Tarot as well (it seemed possible at least). That was my main concern.

Trogon

Studying tarot is quite safe for everything but possibly your wallet, once you start looking at all the gorgeous decks. :laugh:

Yes! This!

Seriously though, I have had some people tell me how the Tarot is "evil", it all comes from "Satan", etc. The Majority of these people have been involved in (usually) pretty fundamentalist Christian religions. Many main-stream religions or fundamentalist off-shoots ("fundies" as I like to call them) drill into their follower's heads that Tarot and all things "Occult" are evil and are to be feared and hated.

The only real such tool that I would agree was in any degree "dangerous" is the Ouija board. As another person indicated, it opens doorways that one may not be aware of ... at least in the experience of many people.

I've been studying and using the Tarot for many years and the only backlash I've had from it is headaches if I over do it. For example, if I have several people request readings over a period of a couple of hours, or if I go to a party and do a lot of readings. Although, since there is usually so much positive energy at the parties I've been to, I usually recover fairly quickly.

So, study, learn and use the Tarot to your Spirit's content. Open yourself to new ideas and move forward. When someone tells you how dangerous Tarot is, or how you're doing the "Devil's work", smile and tell them you're sorry they feel that way and forget them. Alternatively, tell them to take a long walk off a short pier.

katyanne

Seriously though, I have had some people tell me how the Tarot is "evil", it all comes from "Satan", etc. The Majority of these people have been involved in (usually) pretty fundamentalist Christian religions. Many main-stream religions or fundamentalist off-shoots ("fundies" as I like to call them) drill into their follower's heads that Tarot and all things "Occult" are evil and are to be feared and hated.

I come from a fundamentalist Christian background, was caught up in that from birth to age 25. I came by it honestly as my parents were fundamentalists. But yeah fundies are against anything like tarot and even those Christians that aren't fundies are often against it. I'm still Christian albeit not fundamentalist and not conservative, and I have just started reading tarot and I love it, it seems to connect me more to God.

cybercat

Tarot and all divination cards are Mass produced paper cards with nice pictures. They have Zero power. It is as readers that have the connection not the cards.

Trogon

I come from a fundamentalist Christian background, was caught up in that from birth to age 25. I came by it honestly as my parents were fundamentalists. But yeah fundies are against anything like tarot and even those Christians that aren't fundies are often against it. I'm still Christian albeit not fundamentalist and not conservative, and I have just started reading tarot and I love it, it seems to connect me more to God.

Tarot is exceptionally good at helping us to attain new levels of understanding.

It also occurs to me that, if you're a Christian and a Tarot reader, it would be fun to tell someone who has just told you how evil you are, that you'll pray for them to achieve understanding ...

snowmoon

Also, I have a question about safety. Recently my friend warned me about Tarot. Apparently her mother was a psychic and quite often reading for others involved a 'price', usually someone from her family was getting sick right after.

I certainly would like to avoid anything like that. I wouldn't like to have a problem with forces I can't control. I can't be sure if the story was absolutely real but scared me a bit.

It may sound stupid but is using/studying Tarot safe? (sorry if this question is inappropriate)

hi,

well, it is safe! it just a tool for divination. Don't mess the FALSE information about the tarot.

i came from witchcraft background.