Reading 'rituals'

Carojulie

If it concerns an important question, I listen to music before I read.
Now that is unusual and interesting ! Do you have a particular kind of music, does it change depending on the subject ?

Migdal93

Being a future college student, I live at home with my mom and little sister. For me it was really easy to find my special reading place: My bedroom. That is my space, and for me it is sacred. When the weather is nice and I feel like it, I go to the garden, but with winter fast approaching over here I don't think I'll be able to do it for a while! It rains a lot over here.

Usually I simple ground myself - A few deep breaths, a protection visualization, thinking exactly what I want to know, and then I shuffle in my weird way and do the reading. None of that grouding takes more than 3 to 5 mins.

But when it's a very serious/special/complicated matter, I have my own quirks. I'm not wiccan but consider myself a witch. I usually prepare the space beforehand - I engrave a candle with the rune that fits the situation (mostly the algiz rune), turn the lights off, put my reading cloth to use, get some stones I think will help, say a prayer of sorts and then ground myself before I read. But I don't do this often, it's something really special for me and not to be used lightly. It's more time consuming as well.

But my "go to" place for reading is my bed, in my bedroom, when everyone is asleep and I have time to be by myself. I can assure you, powerful readings come from really simple things!

MysticMoonlight

When I first began reading cards, I did what now feels to be quite an elaborate pre-reading "ritual". I'd smudge the area with incense, I'd lay out some sort of cloth, I'd light candles for specific intent, bring in crystals for influence, etc., I'd meditate beforehand, had a specific area for my readings and so on. I did that for years and while it brought great comfort to me and I really enjoyed doing it, I've noticed that over time, those "rituals" have slowly faded in frequency for me. That's not to say that I never bring in incense, have candles or crystals or meditate beforehand but now, I just read whenever, wherever. In the car, in the park, on the couch, at my kitchen table, outside at the patio table, no matter. It just feels more natural now to just read. To keep it simple and basic. To just pick up the deck and sling the cards. Without accessories or what-have-yous. It's been a natural progression for me, a point I've gotten to that, at one time in the beginning, I never thought I'd enjoy so much. I love it.

DownUnderNZer

I am probably the laziest non ritualistic person in the whole wide world when it comes to readings.

I do not use crystals, candles, or incense.
I do not have a table with a silk cloth.
I do not wrap any decks in special cloths.
I do not have charms or mojo anywhere.
I do not meditate.
I do not have the cards set up a certain way.

I do, however, focus on the person and questions, so that is one good point.

I do not drink or do drugs - so no distractions there or not being with it.

I will protect myself and do things for the higher good, but not through mumbo jumbo chants or recitations. Just simple visualisations and a few words in prayer. Always, I believe my Ancestors are with me as well as my guides, and that keeps me grounded and safe in the knowledge that I am fully protected.

DND :)

Morwenna

I am probably the laziest non ritualistic person in the whole wide world when it comes to readings.

I will protect myself and do things for the higher good, but not through mumbo jumbo chants or recitations. Just simple visualisations and a few words in prayer. Always, I believe my Ancestors are with me as well as my guides, and that keeps me grounded and safe in the knowledge that I am fully protected.

DND :)

Not necessarily. I could give you a good run for your money. :)

I just ground and visualize too. There are times when I think it would be nice to go through all that, or just a little bit of that, but it's not necessary. When I was reading at renfaires I would dress up my table, but that was more for the customers than for me.

magicjack

Does anyone here ever rings a bell before they start a reading? Try it sometime. It seems to clear the air or something. I think any little ritual that you choose does help in some way. Like I said before, I don't always do them and can read without them but I really do think it helps while you are doing them like lighting a candle or burning incense, its a good time to talk and get to know the person your reading for.

Trogon

Does anyone here ever rings a bell before they start a reading? Try it sometime. It seems to clear the air or something. I think any little ritual that you choose does help in some way. Like I said before, I don't always do them and can read without them but I really do think it helps while you are doing them like lighting a candle or burning incense, its a good time to talk and get to know the person your reading for.

I haven't tried a bell. I'll admit that there have been a few times when an area needed a quick clearing of accumulated energies. I have found that a small Tibetan singing bowl I have works quite well.

starburst_au

I'm comfortable reading mostly anywhere. When I first began reading I used to think I had to have a quiet spot and a special silk scarf for reading... but I think that was more about becoming comfortable with actually 'reading' the cards.

I think getting to know your deck and the symbols / pictures / meanings of the cards really helped me. For me, each deck has a different feel... this took me a while 'picking up on' and if someone said that to me when I first began reading i'd be like WTF.... (I found having a deck near me / around me helped 'connect' with the cards more.

In terms of rituals.. I usually visualise a clear space, ask that my guides guide me / give me insight into whatever question is being asked... and picture myself in a pink bubble.... Sometimes i'll do a breathing exercise / meditation asking for calm + grounding... It just depends what kind of reading i'm doing and whom i'm doing it for...

That's about all I do... I think finding something that you're comfortable to do / works well for you is the best.

:D