Crowley a Satanist?

gregory

Scion said:
I didn't want to say.. but then you said it for me.

I think it depends on the goat. :D
Even the ugliest of monkeys is a gazelle in the eyes of its mother. (Some teacher told me this when I was a kid. On reflection I decided I was offended....)

Beauty (even of goat bottoms) is in the eye of.... :bugeyed:

I feel a bit sick :p

rogue

Is Satan a Satanist?

Lillie

Depends how big his ego is....

ZenMusic

Lillie said:
Depends how big his ego is....

proves I'm not a Satanist... I've evolved beyond ego. I'm totally ego-less and I'm proud of it.

Aeon418

ZenMusic said:
proves I'm not a Satanist... I've evolved beyond ego. I'm totally ego-less and I'm proud of it.
Me "I've" and "I'm" must be someone else then? :laugh:

moderndayruth

ZenMusic said:

ROFL! :laugh:
Me too, no ego & very proud of mySELF

DoctorArcanus

I have only read the Book of Thoth.

The fundamental heresy of the Black Lodge is contempt for
"the world, the flesh, and the devil", all which are
essential to the plan of the Universe; it is cardinal to the Great Work
for the Adept so to order affairs that "even the evil germs of Matter
shall alike become useful and good".

The error of Christian Mystics on this point has been responsible for more cruelty,
misery, and collective insanity than all others put together; its poison can be traced
even in the teaching of Freud, who assumed that the Unconscious was "the devil",
whereas in fact it is the instinct which expresses, beneath a veil, the inherent Point-
of- View of each, and, properly understood, is the key to Initiation, and a hint of
what seed may blossom and fructify as the "Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy
Guardian Angel". For "Every man and every woman is a star".

From his description of XV The Devil:

"Hear me, Lord of the Stars,
For thee have I worshipped ever
With stains and sorrows and scars,
With joyful, joyful Endeavour.
Hear me, O lilywhite goat
Crisp as a thicket of thorns,
With a collar of gold for thy throat,
A scarlet bow for thy horns."

My point of view is that Crowley can be said to be a Satanist, in the sense of "a worshipper of the Devil". He sees the Devil as a part of God. The world, the flesh, and the devil are all essential to the plan of the Universe.
It is not necessary to choose between Jesus and the Devil. They are both manifestations of God. Such are "the miracles of one thing".

Marco

serenaserendipity

..this is a beautiful thought and it reminds me of something i learned from tibetan buddhism, which is that out of the greatest "evil" can be the seed of greatest good...

s.

Aeon418

DoctorArcanus said:
It is not necessary to choose between Jesus and the Devil. They are both manifestations of God. Such are "the miracles of one thing".
Exactly! :)

Conventional religion preaches a kind of dichotamy of the spirit. On the one hand there are holy and spiritual things that should be aspired to. On the other there are material things that should be shunned. These latter are usually ruled over by some imaginary bogey man - The Devil, Satan, etc., etc.

But if "all is one", how can you reject parts of the whole without setting up division and strife within the unified Self?

Crowley may loosely be described as a Satanist because he included in his spiritual world view those things that previous systems said were under the dominion of Satan. He saw the spiritual and the material as a unified whole. Sexuality and spirituality were seen as different manifestations of one thing. Where dirty minded people see perversion, Crowley saw worship.

In this light Crowley's Thoth Devil card is transformed from a sinister agent of evil into God.
The formula of this card is then the complete appreciation of all existing things. He rejoices in the rugged and the barren no less than in the smooth and the fertile. All things equally exalt him. He represents the finding of ecstasy in every phenomenon, however naturally repugnant; he transcends all limitations; he is Pan; he is All.

XV The Devil - The Book of Thoth.