RWS Witch cards

agent199

In 'The New Tarot Handbook' the Queen of Wands is noted as being known as the 'Witch card' because of the cat familiar.

I got to thinking and wonder why I have not seen anywhere that the Queen of Pentacles could also be a powerful 'Witch card'.

Is it because Waite thought highly of the QoP and since he was a Christian Mystic, that its off-limits?

And there are no limits really, just saying.

And mind you, he does describe her as 'she contemplates her symbol (the pentacle) and may see worlds therein'.

After all, the goddesses are known for their connections to hares.

Hop to spring. The lucky rabbit's foot. The hare totem. Being in tune with lunar cycles. Etc.

What are others thoughts on this?

Also, wouldn't The High Priestess also be possibly considered a 'Witch card' because of the crescent moon symbolism shown twice on the card (her crown and the moon at her feet)?

Waite even mentions Isis in her description but then there is all the other stuff that throws that idea off (J and B pillars).

Sulis

I've never heard of the Queen of Wands being 'the witch card' but then I don't really like labels of cards as I think it limits them.. I'm always seeing people trying to shoehorn the meaning of 'wish card' into a reading when the 9 of Cups comes up and it puzzles me...

The cat I see as representing intuition, fearlessness, sexiness, a hunter who goes after what they want and all of those things are representative of a Queen of Wands personality to me.

What is a 'witch card' anyway and how would that work in a reading?

willowfox

***If the Queen Wands is a "beauty" then she will spellbind a great number of men.

agent199

Great replies!

By labelling the card I was getting at the idea of how a card might get identified with.

And I agree, I don't like shoehorning meanings either.

And with regards to the cat, a hunter who goes after what they want, I just learned another take on that card. Thanks.

And yes, all three of those ladies are beauties!

tarotbear

How many people own a black cat and aren't Witches?

Think about it. :D

PAMUYA

I have a black cat and I am not a witch... I am a Buddhist, a student of Buddhism. Never heard of any of the queens being witches.... maybe the magican comes the closest ?

agent199

Yes, The Magician defenitely makes a good candidate.

Richard

It is supposed to be a pet leopard. According to Book T, "At her [the Queen of Wands] side is a couchant leopard on which her hands rest." As Book T was a private document at that time, Waite changed the image to that of a black cat in front of the throne.

Attachments

• qw.jpg
    qw.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 189

agent199

Fascinating to see these cards. Thanks.

Thoth then Hermetic image, but what deck is the third image from?