Best Rider-Waite Issue

beatles1318

I believe that's a pirated knock-off imitating the graphics of the Lo Scarabeo box.

I didn't notice you mentioned different ones. The blue box, that's the middle on in the first attachment? Is this the blue box?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-The-O...810?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3383a75592

I also want to explain why I'm looking for the best edition. I have the current US Games edition. I look at the Magician on the box and the one on the card and it's a ripoff. The one on the box shows the original writing of 'THE MAGICIAN.' while the actual card is a computer font. Also, the one on the box is colored in the lines, the actual card has a lot of yellow sky in the objects like under his neck, in the roses. It's just not what I was expecting. I'm new to tarot so I feel a little upset that this is what most new tarot readers will be getting. I want to find the best version of the original cards, meaning not the Universal tarot.

bogiesan

I look at the Magician on the box and the one on the card and it's a ripoff. The one on the box shows the original writing of 'THE MAGICIAN.' while the actual card is a computer font... It's just not what I was expecting. I'm new to tarot... I want to find the best version of the original cards, meaning not the Universal tarot.

"best" is , of course, relative. If you eliminate recolorings and clones, you are left with the current crop of reproductions and the auctions or resold collectors' items, which are usually quite expensive.

Keep your ripoff deck, you'll be glad you have it in another couple of years. Meantime, explore each of the currently available WS issues by searching for the title in the WS forum. I like all of my WS decks but the PCS Commemorative is probably the deck that will give you the most pleasure. Nice packaging with bonus items, good price, beautiful printing.

If you're new to tarot, be a bit careful. It is easy to spend lots of money on WS decks when you really only need two, the one you already have and the next one, which Might be the last deck you ever need (which is not the same as the last deck you ever buy).

Welcome to the family. The Waite/Smith tradition is a great foundation upon which to build your knowlege and enthusiasm. Beware the collector's curse. ($$€€££!!)

Le Fanu

Attachments

• Rider-Waite-Smith-Tarot-Blue-Box-UK-Waddington.jpg
    Rider-Waite-Smith-Tarot-Blue-Box-UK-Waddington.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 255

Le Fanu

Of course that's the one on Ebay for $200. xP
Well somebody hasn't shopped around much. I'm always picking these up. I can't resist them when I see them for less than a tenner.

I'd avoid the little blue box "travellers tarot" edition if you're worried about cost. I bought one not long ago for less than 10 pounds but recently saw the one Enchanted Shadow mentions going for $90. I was shocked. :bugeyed:

mah jong

I have exactly one RWS deck. After viewing lots of on-line pictures, I settled on the Radiant RWS. Surprisingly, the colors make the RWS deck pop and vividly come to life for me. After a crazy recent spending spree on RWS inspired decks (I went from 2 to 10 decks within a month), I'm determined to not add any further RWS decks (until my will collapses).