I know I've asked this...but this is slightly different!

3crows

I do keep referring to this fair that I am attending, and at which I am to read people's tarot cards for about 10 minutes. I keep hearing that at a craft fair, people are in a light-hearted mood and want "positive readings". So...how in the world would I take a reading that had cards like the Five of Pentacles, The Tower, well you get the picture. How do I turn an otherwise cautionary reading into something pleasant and happy-go-lucky? any thoughts? If so, can you tell me what kind of phrasing you would use? How exactly would you say it, in other words?

thanks in advance!
one very anxious crow

cardlady22

The companion book for the Whimsical Tarot is extraordinarily good because it phrases things to tell you how to fix or overcome the situation described by the card.

seanchai

Every card has positive aspects; Death is about death of the old *but also* the beginning of the new, The Tower is about illusions being broken down *to make way for* truth, etc. Don't lie or sugarcoat, but it's very possible to "break it gently - "I see some old falsehoods being revealed so that you can make a fresh start," etc.

Tarot is really a very positive tool, because at its core, it's about self-improvement (or helping the querent to see things clearly so that they can self-improve).

Study up on and do some thinking about the positive aspects of each card, and practice framing things as "this card shows [bad thing], but that will clear the way for [good thing]."

Also, take a careful look at your decks (if you have more than one) and try to choose the deck with the least-threatening looking "bad cards" - not for your sake, but for your querents!

Alissa

Might not be the popular answer, but I don't read cards to make others feel good. I read cards to give people the cards' message.

Making them "feel happy" isn't my job as a Tarot reader, so I don't even try to make readings sound positive. I just translate what they've got ahead of them.

If anything, when people come to me and are wanting a reading (even in a party atmosphere) chances are they don't want me making light of the very serious problems/challenges they're facing. So putting a happy face on the Tower in reference to their divorce proceedings is a disservice to your client, I think.

It demeans their pain and anxiety by trying to make it all sound okay and good.

Sheri

Alissa said:
Might not be the popular answer, but I don't read cards to make others feel good. I read cards to give people the cards' message.

Making them "feel happy" isn't my job as a Tarot reader, so I don't even try to make readings sound positive. I just translate what they've got ahead of them.

If anything, when people come to me and are wanting a reading (even in a party atmosphere) chances are they don't want me making light of the very serious problems/challenges they're facing. So putting a happy face on the Tower in reference to their divorce proceedings is a disservice to your client, I think.

It demeans their pain and anxiety by trying to make it all sound okay and good.

Well put! This is how I read the cards. Last year, I had a lady sit down for a reading and she said, "I want to know about my son." I pulled cards, I can't remember right now what cards I pulled, but they were dark and the meanings that came to me for her were dark... so I just told her what I saw... he was very troubled, disturbed and in trouble with the law. Her eyes filled with tears and she nodded. Then she asked for an outlook for him. I shuffled and threw more cards and the outcome was brighter but not perfect nor smooth (problems due to mental health issues that he was going to require treatment for the rest of his life).

You can't change or "sugar coat" the message. But you can share the message in a compassionate way.

:love: Sheri

Alissa

Sheri said:
You can't change or "sugar coat" the message. But you can share the message in a compassionate way.

:love: Sheri
Yes, exactly! It's one thing to lay out a reading with the 5 of Pents and the Tower and say to your sitter, "Man your life has sucked, and it's gonna keep sucking for a while. Get used to it or get over it, your choice."

And it's quite another to simply say, "You've been through a time of deprivation, some of it by your own choice and some not. The instability around you is deeply uncomfortable, perhaps frightening, but it will bring about a new beginning more aligned to the life you want most for yourself."

LucyD

Tonight I'm reading at a Ladies' Night Out - 500 ladies are coming! I'm doing 15 minute readings. I'm always prepared for the challenging reading in these settings because people don't want the bad news at a night out.

So - if I encounter someone who needs an in-depth reading, I have a card that I give them that entitles them to a 30 minute reading for the price of 15 minutes.

They can call me when it's convenient, and then they have my full, undivided attention.

mnemosyne7

When I do parties and "light" events, I ask each person, "Do you want the unvarnished truth, or do you want the party-lite reading." I have never had anyone ask for anything but the truth.

Mnem

214red

i think that the topics or questions are important, you can usually tell by that, if its a heavy question i would try asking if they want advice to improve the situation, advice is usually light

Wisp Wings

Well, I am going to take this a bit differently. I am placing some of this upon the querent. I do truly believe that even if only held in our subconscious minds, there is some level of knowing the answer/outcome that is immediate. So if in a party situation and a querent ask a question whether seemingly heavy or not, I believe that there is some knowledge of the believed true outcome or response of the cards/reading. If they are strong enough to ask a question that leads the cards to the drawn in a more serious outcome, then give it. I go with giving only truth, but yes that it is with tact and gentleness, without sugarcoating it or handing out false statements. The time frame would factor in. Can this reading be done gently and cat and dry both in order to move on for other readings? If not, would go with LucyD's way of giving them a card to call for an in-depth reading for a discounted price. I think you would have to say something like "This is far too involved to give this it's due in this venue. Call me when you have the chance". Then ask if they have something else that want to know that would be rather quick, since you are cutting into other's time.

I just know I would want whatever the Reader saw from the cards. Besides, two other factors to consider...1) What if this reading is the first reading the querent ever had? It can't be all cotton candy funtime if it is dire and you try being light and happy totally with the reading. Do you want them to go away with the believe this is all a gimmick, "What does she know!", and there isn't anything to it? ...2) Take it that all readings you do no matter the event is a reflection of how good of a reader you are. If you are trying to build up your client base, what is this going to do? Help or hinder?