Another peculiar question about V

prudence

Is Baal wearing only one sandal for the same reason Horus is?

Fulgour

A shoe of another fit...

From an article that originally appeared in S.O.A.R.
(Survivors of Abusive Rituals) in July 1993, quote:

A few days later, after Jim asked to join the Masons, he prepared
for the initiation. He was told to take off all his clothes and put on
pyjama-like garments and then just one sandal on his right foot.

"We were now prepared to receive the Entered Apprentice Degree,
or the First Degree in Freemasonry...." the Senior Deacon intoned.

End quote.

Grigori

Horray! No longer a monologue

Hurray! Lots of new idea for me to think about. Thanks all!

Fulgour said:
From an article that originally appeared in S.O.A.R.
(Survivors of Abusive Rituals) in July 1993, quote:

A few days later, after Jim asked to join the Masons, he prepared
for the initiation. He was told to take off all his clothes and put on
pyjama-like garments and then just one sandal on his right foot.

"We were now prepared to receive the Entered Apprentice Degree,
or the First Degree in Freemasonry...." the Senior Deacon intoned.

End quote.

I found this quote on mason's seeing the sandal as a sign of resignation, which would make sense in an intitiation (especially one that leads to abuse allegations)

“That this surrender of free-will to Masonic authority is absolute (within the scope of the landmarks 0f the order) and perpetual, may be inferred from an examination of the emblem (the shoe or sandal) which is used to enforce this lesson of resignation. The esotery of the Masonic rituals gives the fullest assurance of this: "once a Mason always a Mason" is an aphorism in our literature conveying an undeniable truth."—Morris' Dictionary, p. 29.

There's an article on the abusive rituals Fulgour referenced here:
http://members.aol.com/SMARTNEWS/Sample-Issue-12.htm

The Baal sandal is very interesting also. Baal is a ressurected god, so he would fit into the Osriris age I'm guessing, which is quite appropriate for the Hierophant.

Osiris stepping on the nekhi snake is very interesting indeed. The incantation is from a medical text, the commentary likens the snake to disease (seen as an infestation by malignant forces). That would suggest to me the Hierophants role of guidance through hardship, and relates back to the suit's 5's and geburah. (of course I'm theorizing out loud here, and have no actual knowledge to share :) )

Fulgous's reference to the "nekhi snake" was the only one google could provide. I wonder does anyone else have an info on what the snake might have meant?

Fulgour

Pyramid Texts Online - Antechamber East wall

http://www.pyramidtextsonline.com/Anteeast.htm

Utt. 299

444: To say the words:
‘The uraeus is for the sky, the centipede of Horus is for the earth.

One sandal (had) Horus
when he stepped on the lord of the mansion (Hw.t),
the bull of the hole (TpH.t),
the fighting snake (SnT).

I will not be attacked (by it) for the sycamore of Unas is his sycamore,
the refuge of Unas is his refuge. (He) whom Unas meets on his way,
he will eat him bit by bit !’

HenryLee

I have a feeling that this is an "initiate" thing as mentioned above. Crowley writes, "It is impossible at the present time to explain this card thoroughly, for only the course of events can show how the new current of initiation will work out."

Since Crowley adopted some Mason traditions, the single sandal would make sense especially if this Horus is the "child" Horus....

Henry

prudence

I am having a really hard time focussing on the original question, due to how disturbed I am by some of these links. I just don't know what to think,(not that I don't believe) and I know this is not what this thread is about but...man I just feel dragged down by the terrible weight of it. I am so sorry to anyone who has suffered this... And my dad who just passed in Oct was a 32nd degree Mason. UUGGhh.
system overload.
how are you guys able to process this and move on and even see these symbols and not be bothered in some way?

Grigori

Astrid O said:
I am having a really hard time focussing on the original question, due to how disturbed I am by some of these links. I just don't know what to think,(not that I don't believe) and I know this is not what this thread is about but...man I just feel dragged down by the terrible weight of it. I am so sorry to anyone who has suffered this... And my dad who just passed in Oct was a 32nd degree Mason. UUGGhh.
system overload.
how are you guys able to process this and move on and even see these symbols and not be bothered in some way?

Sorry Astrid O if I sounded dismissive of the people affected by these practises. :( I know nothing about Mason's and have no exposure to them, so reading this sort of stuff is just one more example of the many things that are wrong around us.

I suppose I'm also very narrowly focused on understanding how this symbol of initiation relates to the initiation of The Hierophant, and so giving little thought to what is outside that. IT does bring the aspect of obedience to the interpretation of the card, even if I would be rooting for disobedience in the original context.

prudence

I don't mean to sound blaming or anything, just sort of in awe of your ability...I should not have delved so deeply into the subject.

I find the empty masks unpleasant, but the overall image to me is beautiful in a way. Hope this connection with it does not linger! yikes, that would suck...I digress further.
must be past my bedtime