The Icky Green Deck- Not so icky!

FraterGrant

I went over to my friend Oni's house, and she traded me for the Thoth. I am now a proud owner of a Large Thoth, with the Three magus cards. I was then talking to my other friend, Steve, and he was asking if it was the Icky green deck. I told him no, as I had got only great vibes from it and it wasnt really green at all, I thought it was a normal deck. So then, I was sitting marveling at how great the big images were compared to the small, and I noticed on the backs that the borders were slightly differnt than the small. I turned on a bright light...and low and behold...I have the so called "icky" green deck. Its really not that bad...I didnt even know it was bad.

So, do you guys have problems with it? And how many of you dont think its all that bad?

Abrac

Hey TaranRavenfrost

I used to have one of those decks and I didn't really like it, not because it was "icky green" so much as its size. I like smaller decks, but that's just my personal preference. I've heard it called the "icky green deck" also, but never was really sure what was meant by it.

ff

FraterGrant

Yeah, I normally like smaller decks, and the thoth's size is just absolultely perfect for me to handle. Its my favorite deck and it calls to me on all sorts of levels...but the icky thing bothered me how negatively people were talking about it... I just dont think its "icky-ness" lives up to the hype.

thinbuddha

I don't know about the green, but I love the bigger size. I don't know how much bigger I'd want it, but the size it is certainly is good for me.

Emily

I have both versions of the large Thoth - the green-tinged one and a normal coloured one.

It did take me a long time to warm to the green one - I bought this one used and although I used various methods of cleansing it, they didn't work. It was a deck full of negativity.

I posted strongly about the feelings that this deck made me feel, right down to the fact that I couldn't handle it without feeling sick. But that was a good while ago and I forced myself to handle it, I didn't want to get so influenced by a deck that it gave me the creeps, I'm too level-headed for that. I've read the works of Crowley and so know what kind of man he was and it never bothered me, he made a classic with the Thoth.

And that is what cleared it - I started to use it, very briefly at first lol - I know they are only cardboard and ink but I don't know what uses the previous owner had for this deck and it certainly came to me with baggage.

I love the artwork of the Thoth, I always have, and even the slightly hazy images of the green-tinged one are beautiful to me now. I get some lovely readings from this deck and find it hard to believe what feelings used to come from it. It does have a very different feel to my normally coloured Thoth. It is one of the decks I wouldn't part with now.

Abigail

abigail

. as someone who has a connection to the deck for personal childhood experiences in the UK .. I love the deck though do use it far more for myself rather than reading for others the only quirk i have found it to have is it comes up in a pyramid spread every time no matter what my intentions in going in to a reading when reading for others with it.

Malygris

As a newbie, I'm a tad confused by this. The 'icky green' decks are the old one's right? I have the US games system one, with the illustrated box. The pictures look green on the box, but the actual cards seem bright and clear. So - presumably I have the non-icky version?

FraterGrant

no small version is greenish...you have to have an older US games version thats printed in belgium.

thinbuddha

Malygris said:
As a newbie, I'm a tad confused by this. The 'icky green' decks are the old one's right? I have the US games system one, with the illustrated box. The pictures look green on the box, but the actual cards seem bright and clear. So - presumably I have the non-icky version?

The "icky green" decks have a green border around the face of the cards rather than the grey borders in the newer printings. Some also claim that there is a green tint to the artwork itself (I haven't seen an icky green deck, so I can't comment). The newer printings come in a green box (for the large size- in the US) but the deck itself is not the one that is refered to as "icky green".

sunflowr

I've seen scans of the green borders and like them! But I noticed the images werent as vivid.

I am after the one with the hexagram card. Is that the icky green version? All these versions! My head hurts! ;)