Newsflash - Crowley is not God

wizzle

After the Isis Urania temple in London refused Crowley admittance to the inner circle of the GD, he flounced off to Paris where Mathers initiated him into the degree 5 = 6. As a part of the initiation, Crowley got a new magical name. Mathers dubbed him "The Heart of Jesus."

There it is folks. It's official. He is the H of J and not God, himself. Maybe this is why Crowley re-re-named himself Baphomet eventually.

Source: A History of the Occult Tarot

I find this title extrememly amusing. I wonder if it would spoil Crowley's image if it were known he is the H of J?

rachelcat

Maybe the Heart of Jesus to Mathers, but TO MEGA THERION always in my heart!

inanna_tarot

Crowley is not God...

hes a very naughty boy!!!!!!

Couldnt resist sorry lol.

Would be interesting to see the Christian Fundie approach to Crowley being the Heart of Jesus!

Personally I think Crowley wouldn't stop at the heart of jesus but would have gone for the top job :)

Sezo
x

Aeon418

wizzle said:
After the Isis Urania temple in London refused Crowley admittance to the inner circle of the GD, he flounced off to Paris where Mathers initiated him into the degree 5 = 6. As a part of the initiation, Crowley got a new magical name. Mathers dubbed him "The Heart of Jesus." ?
Sorry, wrong again. The H of J thing was only Isreal Regardies "guess" at Crowley's Adeptus Minor motto. (See The Eye in the Triangle by Israel Regardie.)

Crowley's real 5=6 motto was Christeos Lucifitias, the Anointed Light-bringer.

Aeon418

I was trying to take the view that the Christianity of hypocrisy and cruelty was not true Christianity. I did not hate God or Christ, but merely the God and Christ of the people whom I hated. It was only when the development of my logical faculties supplied the demonstration that I was compelled to set myself in opposition to the Bible itself. It does not matter that the literature is sometimes magnificent and that in isolated passages the philosophy and ethics are admirable. The sum of the matter is that Judaism is a savage, and Christianity a fiendish, superstition.

Confessions ~ Aleister Crowley

thinbuddha

But according to Crowley, aren't we all God? That would make him God just as much as you ro me or even (almost) as much as Ronald McDonald.

wizzle

Crowley's real 5=6 motto was Christeos Lucifitas, the Anointed Light-bringer.
Everything always sounds so much better in a dead language, doesn't it? How do we know this is the real motto? And who chose it? Mathers or Crowley?

Generally I think Regardie is a pretty good guesser about Crowley, by virtue of having known Crowley. Pretty good mage too, eh?

Aeon418

wizzle said:
How do we know this is the real motto? And who chose it? Mathers or Crowley?
Crowley chose that motto himself, just like every single other Golden Dawn member did. No one was ever given a name.
The name is recorded in Crowley's personal diary. I'm sure you're going to say it must be false though. *sigh*

Crowley's 5 = 6 motto is revealed in Richard Kaczynski's, PERDURABO, chp.3, p.60. Unlike Regardie, Kaczynski had complete access to the Crowley archives. He didn't have to make guesses.

On page 173 of The Eye in the Triangle, Regardie plainly states that his guess at Crowley's motto is just an assumption. I suppose the author of A History of the Occult Tarot chose to ignore that part.
But still, when have facts ever got in the way of a good bit of axe grinding. lol ;)

Kaczynski's footnote at this point:
Regardie suspected the motto was very Christian and, given his later ventures into alternative forms of religion, was embarrassing in retrospect. His guess of "Heart of Jesus Girt About By a Serpent" is wrong, but very close. Skinner, Magical Diaries of Aleister Crowley, wrongly gives the name "Parsival." Crowley actually recorded his motto, Christeos Lucifitias, in the NWU Notebook. Lucifer, in mystic circles, is not seen as a name for evil incarnate, as it is in today's popular parlance. The name literally means 'Light bringer,' and was an ancient name of Venus as the Morning Star.
In it's older, pre-Christian form, Lucifer was similar to Prometheus, the Greek god who brought fire and light to mankind. In this original sense of the word, HP Blavatsky named the Theosophical Society's magazine Lucifer, and it is in this sense which Crowley uses the word.
wizzle said:
Generally I think Regardie is a pretty good guesser about Crowley, by virtue of having known Crowley. Pretty good mage too, eh?
Yeah, I think Regardie is pretty cool actually , even though his relationship with Crowley is blown out of all proportion.
But in this case, as he says himself, he was guessing. But it was a wrong guess.

Ross G Caldwell

Aeon418 said:
Crowley's real 5=6 motto was Christeos Lucifitias, the Anointed Light-bringer.

This is of course true. But I never noticed before how strange it was.

Christeos exists as a plural masculine adjective in Latin. "Annointed" or "Christ-like".

But "Lucifitias" is only Angelic; it doesn't seem to exist as such in Latin.
It seems to come from the Call of the Thirty Aethyrs, and is translated "Brightness".

Thus the name means: "Christ-like Brightness" or "Annointed Brightness".

Alta

Besides Christ = God = Holy Spirit = Christ ad infinitum. Three in one.