Cleansing oneselves from Negative Energy after a Tough Reading

Nikita_

Well, the harm is the danger of falling to superstition and fear of omens. If you perform a ritual with no understanding, you're not actually doing anything except giving the words themselves power, rather the carrying out real self improvement as would (possibly) happen were you to do the homework of knowing what you're doing.

Bottom line, whatever you do, find out about it. Don't be ignorant and just assume "something" will happen just because of a flower. Want to do magic? Learn it, find out what it is, why it works, if at all and make it your own. This isn't the same as simply trying something until it works. It is a process, it is gradual and it is self respecting.

That's exactly what we're trying to do here, in case you didn't notice.

nisaba

Hi everyone...yesterday I had a really heavy day; a friend who I often read for sent me 3 or 4 people who wanted tarot readings, and they were all incredibly tough ones...these people had some of the worste stories I've ever heard; almost a horror story in one case, including violent deaths and rape, which came out in the readings, and by the end of it, I was worn out, I had a massive headache, and I almost felt sick,

You will always here extreme things from clients. The trick is not to take their "stuff" on board. You're there to provide a service. Do that, and don't absorb their shit into your life. You won't get the headaches, the readings won't be hard to do and you will be in a better position to help THEM if you begin the readings knowing you are not going to take their issues on board.

Nikita_

You will always here extreme things from clients. The trick is not to take their "stuff" on board. You're there to provide a service. Do that, and don't absorb their shit into your life. You won't get the headaches, the readings won't be hard to do and you will be in a better position to help THEM if you begin the readings knowing you are not going to take their issues on board.

Yeah, I wish I was able to do that....there are people who are better at keeping detached and maintaining a distance, I find it very hard....that is why I decided not to become a therapist or work in the social services, although the idea of helping other always appeale to me. I have a friend who works in the social services, with abused children taken away from her families, and stuff like that...I told her about how I felt the other day, and she told me that, although over the years she has learnt to deal with the horrible things she hears and has to see every day, even after so many years, sometimes at the end of the day, if a story has had a particularly strong impact on her, when she leaves work she cries for hours and walks around, unable to go home...I suppose there's no absolute remedy for that kind of human involvement...

FLizarraga

This is the quickest fix I know:

In a small pot or some kind of fire-resistant vessel, pour some Epsom salt and just enough rubbing alcohol to thoroughly saturate it. Set it on fire, and let it burn out. It will cleanse ALL negative energy out of the place. As with anything that has to do with fire, take all necessary precautions, and keep it small and contained.

Again, as it has been pointed pointed out, intention and concentration are paramount.

Mark Lewis

When I first started in this business naturally I found this a problem too. I solved it by procuring a book by a fellow named Eugene Kennedy the title of which was "On Becoming a Counsellor" I have no idea if it is still available but I expect so somehow. This helped me tremendously. It explained that a little help to a client is actually a lot of help. And you have to be a counsellor to yourself. In other words if you get too stressed out over a client's problems you will do harm to yourself and not be in a position to help the next client.

The book was meant for non professional counsellors like ministers, social workers, teachers etc;. I daren't contemplate what the author would think if he knew his book was being recommended to professional psychic and tarot readers like myself!

Another thing I do which I find helpful if the readings start to get too stressful is a weird mental process which I find helpful but I do it during the reading rather than after it is over. I say to myself, "I don't know what to tell this person so I will let the cards do it for me" I shut my concious mind down as best as I can and let the unconcious intuitive part of me take over and the tarot helps that to happen. I also pray silently for the client mainly when they are shuffling the cards and drawing cards from the spread as this is the time when I don't have to speak. The client doesn't know I am praying for them but it helps me and helps them at the same time.

Another thing I do is to forget the tarot cards for a while when the day is over. I don't even think about it and in fact I have no idea what I am doing here at the moment! I like to let all the metaphysical stuff go until I get back to work again. Too much of this stuff is not a good thing and I need to rest and get away from it from time to time. As the old saying goes you can have too much of a good thing.

I hope this helps.

Nikita_

When I first started in this business naturally I found this a problem too. I solved it by procuring a book by a fellow named Eugene Kennedy the title of which was "On Becoming a Counsellor" I have no idea if it is still available but I expect so somehow. This helped me tremendously. It explained that a little help to a client is actually a lot of help. And you have to be a counsellor to yourself. In other words if you get too stressed out over a client's problems you will do harm to yourself and not be in a position to help the next client.

The book was meant for non professional counsellors like ministers, social workers, teachers etc;. I daren't contemplate what the author would think if he knew his book was being recommended to professional psychic and tarot readers like myself!

Another thing I do which I find helpful if the readings start to get too stressful is a weird mental process which I find helpful but I do it during the reading rather than after it is over. I say to myself, "I don't know what to tell this person so I will let the cards do it for me" I shut my concious mind down as best as I can and let the unconcious intuitive part of me take over and the tarot helps that to happen. I also pray silently for the client mainly when they are shuffling the cards and drawing cards from the spread as this is the time when I don't have to speak. The client doesn't know I am praying for them but it helps me and helps them at the same time.

Another thing I do is to forget the tarot cards for a while when the day is over. I don't even think about it and in fact I have no idea what I am doing here at the moment! I like to let all the metaphysical stuff go until I get back to work again. Too much of this stuff is not a good thing and I need to rest and get away from it from time to time. As the old saying goes you can have too much of a good thing.

I hope this helps.

Hi Mark, thanks for your advice. Yes, I do think, after all, that it is very similar to what counsellors and similar workers pick up, and it might get better in time, or it might not...I've always had trouble keeping detatched and protecting myself, but I'll tell you something : although I do not believe in God, or in any specific religion, what you said about praying for your clients while they shuffle, if you feel they need it, made a lot of sense to me. I think I'll try that. Thanks...

Nikita_

This is the quickest fix I know:

In a small pot or some kind of fire-resistant vessel, pour some Epsom salt and just enough rubbing alcohol to thoroughly saturate it. Set it on fire, and let it burn out. It will cleanse ALL negative energy out of the place. As with anything that has to do with fire, take all necessary precautions, and keep it small and contained.

Again, as it has been pointed pointed out, intention and concentration are paramount.

Thanks, flizarranga... interesting, I've never heard of this before...

Sherilyn G

Hi everyone...yesterday I had a really heavy day; a friend who I often read for sent me 3 or 4 people who wanted tarot readings, and they were all incredibly tough ones...these people had some of the worste stories I've ever heard; almost a horror story in one case, including violent deaths and rape, which came out in the readings, and by the end of it, I was worn out, I had a massive headache, and I almost felt sick, feeling the need cleanse or "purify " myself, to get rid of the negativity I had absorbed, being a kind of sponge...I don't know of any rituals or practices for that, or to protect myself to begin with, so I was wondering if you have any thoughts about this.
Thanks....

You must be very empathetic. I can really relate to that, I am very empathetic too. You have to watch out for yourself; set and keep limits and tell people what your limits are.

These are things I find help me the most, in the order of importance:

1. Be careful how many readings you agree to do within a time and take enough of a break between them. Pay attention to how you are feeling and listen to that. I usually refuse to read for more than two people in a day. Sometimes a long in depth reading will tire me out and I'll sleep for an hour after, then I have to eat. I am often not ready for another long reading for at least a few hours. If I had 3 or 4 people approach me for readings, I tell them one or two readings per day. You may be comfortable with more readings per day, and you may find the number increases with time. Set your own limits and tell people how it is.

I never felt a need to do more readings in a day.

The better I take care of myself, the better I am able to give high quality readings.

2. Light white candles. White is purifying. The candles create positive energy in the environment when they are lit.

3. Eat a good meal after a reading, and include good protein sources like meat and eggs or cheese if you're vegetarian. I find food has a very grounding effect, especially high protein food.

4. Bathe yourself and your cards with white light after each reading; do this with the intent that it is getting rid of negative energies and it will.

5. Pray. Ask for assistance from your Gods/Goddesses. If you are worried about the person you read the cards for, give the issue up to God and let it go. Put it in God's hands.

6. Find other things to think about, watch a good movie, pick up a good book, go visit friends.