Problems with replacement decks?

The_Reclining_Reader

I recently bought a new deck to replace an old one that was.... well let's just say well-worn. Except for being new, it was exactly the same.

My problem is it's just not clicking with me like the old one did. Sometimes when I do a reading, I stare at the cards and get nothing. My mind is just a blank. I never had that trouble with the old deck. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering switching back (thankfully I kept the old deck.)

Has anyone else had this problem?

moon_light

I just barely got a replacement deck for one that got completely destroyed. With the new one, I asked it what I needed to know about it as a replacement deck. I got Death and the card that was the most damaged in the original, so I took that to mean that nothing's changed – it still carries the same energy. It is just an undamaged set. It sounds like that might not be the case for you, though. But you could try asking that question to the new deck, as well as asking it how you can reestablish the type of connection you had with the previous one.

Disa

Hmmm.

I haven't had to completely replace a deck, but I do have a few decks that are the same, but different versions that I use at diff times. For example, I have a 2 Hanson Roberts decks-one I keep in my purse and one in the house. They read the same for me. I have a DruidCraft I love the most that I've had forever, and a more recently aquired trimmed Druidcraft that belonged to someone else, they read the same to me. Several Victorian Romantics- diff versions, minis and reg...read the same, etc...

While they aren't replacements, they are diff versions of the same deck and they read the same for me.

Grizabella

The older and more used the deck looks the more character it has. If you're having trouble connecting with the new one, just go back to the old one and save the new one for if you actually lose the old deck or it becomes unusable for some other reason. I love a well-used looking deck. And I think sitters, too, would appreciate seeing that you're experienced enough to have a worn in deck.

ana luisa

I kept smiling while reading this thread. I can understand what you're going through and it's the proof that reading is not just placing a bunch of printed cards on a table. There's this "thing" that makes it magical and that turns two identical decks into 2 completely different ones ... I agree with Grizabella. Keep the old one. A bent well-loved deck can be a work of art ;)

VGimlet

Yes - I have. When I bought a new copy of my beloved Aquarian deck (bright blue back) not only was the back different, (blue and white) but I had a problem connecting with the new deck. :(

The card stock just wasn't as nice as my old deck, and the deck just felt "off : On the new deck not only was the back different the background on the new deck was white, rather than the pale cream of the old deck, which wasn't just due to age. It wasn't just one thing though, it just didn't felt right...which is why I ended up not using it as my main anymore.

Though I rarely buy two copies of any deck, I do have extra copies of my main personal reading deck, and my main client reading deck, which I bought fairly soon after I started using them as primary decks.

I still read with my old Aquarian, but it's gotten to the point it's too fragile for client readings.

UrbanBramble

I always "charge" a new deck... it sits on my altar for a week or so with a small moonstone on top. I also make sure to handle it a lot to get my energy into it. Have you done anything like that? Maybe also store the decks together, that might help the new one align with the energy of the old one.

Padma

I have had this experience too, as I wore out one sort of cards three times over by multiple public readings. By the time I was up to the third deck of these cards, I lost my connection to them, though I still do love the images on this deck...it just isn't my go to anymore. It is quite possible *you've* changed, as well, and grown, and so images that worked for you in the past no longer suit you - maybe try finding a new reading deck? :) good luck!

lightpers

I am feeling the same way too, i had Halloween Tarot and it was missing when i was eating in foodplace, i get the replacement but i can't feel the same as i used to be about this deck, maybe the problem is i have bond and fond the deck so much and i can't respect the replacement ones as it will never be replace. :(