Geometric Shapes on Sword Minors.

ravenest

I looked at my friends cards (gawd! they seem brand new compared to mine, I'm going to start calling them 'vintage') but still couldnt make it out. Got a magnifying glass ... aha! yep thats an abracadabra.
But later I thought it was all familiar, I'd done this before. The memory if of it being seen a lot bigger ... ? I got home and went through the book storage.

James Wandless 'New Age tarot - Guide to the Thoth Deck' ( ;) ).

One thing about this book is it has large repos of trumps (but b&w). That's where I've seen it before.

What does James have to say?
" 'Abracadabra', written on the water canopy of Chariot: magician's ability to transform. Chariot is related to the Magus)."

[He also talks about "the crystals on the breastplate" and the "fireball" both shown on the card. ???

But I never remember being curious as to why the C word was on the card and not AC's H word. ???

ravenest

Lillie said:
Demons. I heard the sqiggles were the symbols of demons and angels and stuff like that.
And as I have seen stuff like that in od grimoirs, like the key of Solomon and stuff, it wouldn't surprise me.

The demon/angel/whatever that is the ruler of that card.

Has that been mentioned yet?
If it has, just ignore me.

Where did you hear / read this idea? That was one of my first thoughts and as some of these (well, the G.D. ones anyway) 'symbols' can be drawn via gematria from a magic square ... hence the rest of the idea.

Even with some 'demonic', 'barbaric' and virtually impossible to pronounce names the similar result isnt found. Thats why I am wondering if they are mathmatical formulas.

So far the closest results I have got to the 'shapes' is by drawing up a grid, selecting a random bunch of co-ordinates and linking them with a line, then reversing those co-ordinates on the grid and linking up that line to make a type of mirror image.

Bat Chicken

ravenest said:
But I never remember being curious as to why the C word was on the card and not AC's H word. ???

This actually might be your connection.... the Abracadabra was changed to Abrahadabra to 'fit' a magic square number 418, I believe? I think I read that on Wikipedia....

It was somewhere - I can't remember where - I was reading that the word was derived from ancient aramaic, therefore making the spelling rather flexible.....

Bat Chicken

ravenest said:
So far the closest results I have got to the 'shapes' is by drawing up a grid, selecting a random bunch of co-ordinates and linking them with a line, then reversing those co-ordinates on the grid and linking up that line to make a type of mirror image.

A kind of projective transformation??? :) More connections....

Aeon418

Bat Chicken said:
It was somewhere - I can't remember where - I was reading that the word was derived from ancient aramaic, therefore making the spelling rather flexible.....
Try Hebrew instead. There's hardly any difference between the Hebrew letter Heh and the letter Cheth. ;)

thinbuddha

Aeon418 said:
Try Hebrew instead. There's hardly any difference between the Hebrew letter Heh and the letter Cheth. ;)

I'm wondering why Crowley made such a big deal about "correcting" the spelling of the word then? I mean, I get it, but this could go in circles:

Q>why did he make such a big deal out of correcting the spelling?

A>He corrected the spelling to get the correct number using gematria

Q>but why wasn't the "correct" spelling on his card?

A>well- there really isn't a difference between Heh and Cheth....

Q>then why did he make such a big deal out of correcting the spelling?

rinse, repeat

Aeon418

thinbuddha said:
I'm wondering why Crowley made such a big deal about "correcting" the spelling of the word then? I mean, I get it, but this could go in circles
Who knows why it was done. It may be a simple Harris typo. It may also be a deliberate "blind" on the part of Crowley. Occultists are well know for laying traps within their work. It weeds out the lazy student who isn't prepared to do a little honest homework. ;)

Also bear in mind that the letter Cheth itself, when spelt in full, is 418. The same numeration as the word ABRAHADABRA. Is Crowley trying to forge a link between the Chariot (Cheth) and the Star (Heh)? Maybe. :laugh:

Liber AL 1:65 To me! To me!

The 65th verse. 65 = ADNI ~ Adonai, the Holy Guardian Angel ~ 418. The transliteration of TO ME into Greek is also 418.

Try messing around with the numbers 8 80 418. ;)

Lillie

ravenest said:
Where did you hear / read this idea? That was one of my first thoughts and as some of these (well, the G.D. ones anyway) 'symbols' can be drawn via gematria from a magic square ... hence the rest of the idea.

Even with some 'demonic', 'barbaric' and virtually impossible to pronounce names the similar result isnt found. Thats why I am wondering if they are mathmatical formulas.

Yeah, via magic squares.
That's the general idea I had.

Can't remember where from.

Will try to track it down.

Can't be too many places to look....

ravenest

thinbuddha said:
Q>but why wasn't the "correct" spelling on his card?

Frieda; painting the top part of chariot card; " Wont pay me for the shopping eh? I'll show him ... A ... B ...R ...A ...C... he he."

Lillie

Found it!

Finally!

The reference to the geometric shapes on the swords is in the Wassserman LWB that came with the old USG decks.
(it might have been with othrs, it might still be in use, I don't know)

It is in the last section, the 'catalogue', and I believe it was written by Lady Frieda Harris.
In the tiny section for the 4 of swords it says, after the little discription of the card, 'The surrounding crystals, as in all these sword cards, contain the hidden names of their guardian angels worked out in numbers on squared paper. It was thought that air was formed of crystals according to Pythagoras.'

And that's all.
I knew I had read it somewhere.