Doreen Virtue Decks changes and such

page of ghosts

Yes !! At first I thought I misunderstood and that she took 9 cards out.. but no ! She had to take 69 cards out, otherwise she would have run the risk of terrifying her sitters.

Omg! I also thought she meant the threw out 9 cards but no, there were only 9 left :confused: I don't understand, how? A lot of this stuff about tarot finally being "safe", "in the light", it sounds a lot like superstition to me.

I guess I'm not in the target audience for DV decks, I like some doom and gloom in my decks })

gregory

So has Doreen declared her intentions going forward? Is she going to stop making Tarot decks and just do oracles? Is she moving away from angels into other topics or sticking with them? Will Radleigh Valentine no longer be a collaborator on decks being a declared psychic?

What's happening?
No-one knows - though she does have a TAROT deck out in October, and it is still up there for preorder on amazon - but not on the Hay House site...

Oh dear god...

I am guessing he will keep this one up ?

Hello - the blonde DV says a tarot deck has 72 cards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ealcn37CTio

Spiffo

They make Miss CLEO look quite reasonable.

gregory

Would you admit it wasn't a good idea for her to - release them?
- :D
Chicken, egg. I don't know which came first - but if the deck - yes, I'd have stuck to TV and not put VHS tapes in the box. (I REALLY must watch it some day...)

I think Ms Virtue's videos have done her no service. Without them, her tarot decks MIGHT have been taken more seriously. It is having what she was aiming at rubbed repeatedly in our faces that make us all realise how very not-tarot they are.

AnemoneRosie

When they published the book that goes with the deck, they made yet another video. It's even creepier (if that's possible) but it also documents their surgical approach to Tarot: take out everything "upsetting, or in any way frightening," to make it "safe" and bring Tarot "into the light."

Hilarity aside, that is a bizarre proposition, to say the least.

That underscore is even worse than the last one!

To be honest, I have that book. It was acquired for free, and so I don't feel badly for owning it (particularly as I also have that deck, which wasn't free). And it's not completely horrible! It makes for a good introduction to the DV 'system' such as it is.

I feel badly for Radleigh only owning one outfit, though. He sort of strikes me as someone who could be a lovely person, only perhaps he fell in with a peculiar crowd.

The other thing that really gets me is that I'm quite sensitive. I'm sure that by DV's standards I'd be quite an HSP. And yet, it's because I'm quite sensitive that I love the TdM. There is no fear of depicting the fact that life is rough, brutish, and short, there. And "because I'm so sensitive" I appreciate having that sense of mine that we're all just going to die, reflected in my cards.

As for what she's doing now? Well, I found this and then this so she's evidently still around. Apparently I share a name with her dog ???

rwcarter

Moderator Note

As a second and final reminder, the topic of this thread is Doreen Virtue's decks. Aeclectic is not a fashion or hair-style review website. As such, some posts have been removed. Further off-topic posts will be removed without notification.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Tarot Decks

Aeric

While it remains to be seen whether her existing catalogue is going to suffer for her transition, I'm skeptical of her putting out something that she believes people in her new mainstream circle will find completely acceptable.

When you move away from the New Age perspective of angels, it ceases to be about the angels themselves. God and Christ are intended as the main focus with the angels only as brief intercessions. Many prominent Anglican and Catholic and other church leaders regularly express dismay at the attention given solely to the angels. At the same time, I don't doubt that many of Doreen's followers came to her Angel Brand because they were unsatisfied with the lack of attention to the angels in mainstream religion.

It seems to be like a new product that's faithful to both what she did before and what she is now will be stuck between a rock and a hard place. She's got an uphill battle to convince two sides. Her Angel Tarot decks will be decried by the new people as dark fortunetelling. Her Angel Oracle decks will be dismissed as out of focus with what matters.