Grand tableau advice for me and you ...

Sharla

Ive been studying of this spread and up to now this is what ive learnt.....

You Start off with reading the first three cards as these cards sets the theme and tone of the reading.
You can also read the corner cards in diagonal pairs these tell you about what the question is up against.
You then find your significator i.e man/woman you then see where the significator is placed, for example if its on the top line it means you are in control of your life and the cards below you are whats in your control. If your further below, the cards above you are what is in your head and what your thinking about it or need to sort out.

Also if both man and woman cards are on the same line, then they share a similar future. Or if these cards are nowhere near each other then its a sign that the querent is single/unattached.
Another tip: If (The tower) is between the man and woman then it means they are seperated/divorced.

The cards to the left of you is whats in your past, the cards to the right of you (on the same line) is whats in your future.
The column your significator's in is your present situation.

You can then read the diagonals from your significator.
You can do mirroring.
You can do knighting.

You can then go to significant cards you want answers about i.e fish for answer to do with money, heart for answers to do with love etc.
Find the card and see what cards are surrounding it and what house the actual card is in to give you some information regarding your query.

Thats all ive got up to now, but just a couple of questions i'd like to know....

Do the houses have the same meaning as if it was a card, for example would a rider house mean the same as the rider card i.e a visitor or someone coming etc, or would it be different ?

If you do a reading for yourself (woman) and the (man) card is on the same line so which you take it that you have a man to meet in the future. As im reading about myself and know that this man is soon going to be coming into my life can i use his card as a significator card and do knighting, mirroring and reading diagonally from his card and read his NOW position, the vertical line below him.....Or will these not count as the reading wasn't for him ?

Also Ive heard of a thing called "Looping" but can't find any information anywhere online on how to do it, does anybody know ?

Do you HAVE to combine the "Houses" as ive realized that a spread without the combined meanings of the houses gives you a different reading to if you do use the houses.
Just wanted someone elses opinion on this.

mysticsphere

i believe the cards are like the "what", and the houses are like "where". So fox in house of dog would show there's something shady going on with your friends.

However, not everyone uses Houses. You don't have to use them, they're just an additional technique. like card counting, etc.

Never heard of looping, so no comment on that. There is a technique for chaining houses, rana george talks about it in her book, and i think madam seaqueen has an online article about it.

As far as i know, the vertical line for the other significator doesn't describe their present moment, it just describes them in general. I could be wrong in this though. Ive never used the vertical line to describe what's going on now except for your own significator or the sitter's; i just used it to make an additional statement about whatever card your examining.

Sharla

i believe the cards are like the "what", and the houses are like "where". So fox in house of dog would show there's something shady going on with your friends.
Okay thankyou for clarifying that
However, not everyone uses Houses. You don't have to use them, they're just an additional technique. like card counting, etc.
Im just puzzled with this because the reading can become quite different if you include the houses and also if you don't, you can get two completely different readings
Never heard of looping, so no comment on that. There is a technique for chaining houses, rana george talks about it in her book, and i think madam seaqueen has an online article about it.
I will look into the chaining houses ive not heard of that before, i cant even remember now where i read about looping, its somewhere oline if i can find it i will leave a link
As far as i know, the vertical line for the other significator doesn't describe their present moment, it just describes them in general. I could be wrong in this though. Ive never used the vertical line to describe what's going on now except for your own significator or the sitter's; i just used it to make an additional statement about whatever card your examining.

Teheuti

Do the houses have the same meaning as if it was a card, for example would a rider house mean the same as the rider card i.e a visitor or someone coming etc, or would it be different ?
I agree that you don't have to use Houses at all. It's a matter of preference. If you do, then you can either use a 19th century cartomancy system called Mlle. Lenormand's Nines which uses a simple keyword for each house that doesn't necessarily match that numbered card, or use card meanings. I think of them as spheres or arenas that tend to "color" the card landing there, and very simplified House meanings. For instance, if Child is in the 11th House (of Whip) then it's in a region that's disputative, disruptive, uneasy. Some people just check a few Houses, like the House of Key. I know someone who always looks at what's in the House of Mouse (looking for the trouble spot).

I primarily check what house the Significator is in and any topic cards that are central to the query or emerging issue. I believe that what you call looping is what I call chaining (which I learned from Rana). I use it often at the end of a reading as a summary/cross-check to confirm what I said prior to that.

If you do a reading for yourself (woman) and the (man) card is on the same line so which you take it that you have a man to meet in the future. As im reading about myself and know that this man is soon going to be coming into my life can i use his card as a significator card and do knighting, mirroring and reading diagonally from his card and read his NOW position, the vertical line below him.....Or will these not count as the reading wasn't for him ?
A Man on the same line as Woman is just pointing to the importance of a Significant Other. If in the future then he will play some role in future events. You can read all the indicators to the Man card: the adjacent cards (Square of 9), knighting, mirroring etc.), which will tell you more about his characteristics and actions in relation to you (the querent). His vertical line may not be as important except for adjacent cards. People cards (Man, Woman, Dog, Rider and to a lesser extent the Courts) can be especially important when they fall on a line with the Significator or link by knighting (both may knight to the same card) or via Houses.

Also Ive heard of a thing called "Looping" but can't find any information anywhere online on how to do it, does anybody know ?
See my comments on chaining.

There are other ways to approach a Grand Tableau, but the series of steps that you outline will give you a great overview and entry places for a general reading. You can also go directly to the Significator, read the cards immediately around the Significator and then move out from there.

I read the vertical column of the Significator as now, the columns to the left as past and the columns to the right as future. If you pre-set a period of time for your forecast, like three months (12 weeks), then you can divide the number of weeks by the number of columns to the right of the Significator to get a general flow of time.

mysticsphere

great advice, thanks teheuti!

Teheuti

I should add that I've seen people use Houses very effectively, especially to get a sense of underlying issues that may not be apparent on the surface - like someone who acts gracious and does seemingly nice things but underneath is a manipulating liar (House of Fox). However, this seems to work best for those who are truly dedicated to using Houses.

Sharla

I should add that I've seen people use Houses very effectively, especially to get a sense of underlying issues that may not be apparent on the surface - like someone who acts gracious and does seemingly nice things but underneath is a manipulating liar (House of Fox). However, this seems to work best for those who are truly dedicated to using Houses.

Thanks for all your advice Teheuti, i think where im going wrong is im still learning Lenormand and with this grand tableau im trying to squeeze as much information out of it as i can, which is why im researching and researching and yes i have found out a lot of information but think i just need to keep things simple for now like you say find the significator and keep it quite simple.

I think to be truthful the real reason why im doing this is because the cards are showing a man coming into my life very soon but then i have whip in the house of snake straight after, so im thinking "oh great another loser !!!" as im seeing this combo as that he will have another woman. So after seeing this im trying to dig for more information etc.

Teheuti

i have whip in the house of snake straight after [the Man], so im thinking "oh great another loser !!!" as im seeing this combo as that he will have another woman. So after seeing this im trying to dig for more information etc.
This is the problem with putting a full set of meanings into Houses. A Grand Tableau becomes far too complex. Yes, Snake adjacent Man can indicate a rival for his affections but to assume that because Man is next to the House of Snake also means that there's another woman is pushing things too far. One of the rules of Houses is that they don't influence the cards next to them - only the card that falls into that House. Whip adjacent Man can indicate that he is an argumentative person. With Man in the House of Clouds (?) he could be confused and of two minds (Whip - arguing with himself) about his involvement with the querent.

Sharla

Here is the order of operations that I utilize, which I saved from another member here a few years ago. It is not the 9X4 though. But there might be some helpful information here for you to help you make your way through a GT in an orderly fashion.

Thanks for sharing this link Amanda, ive taken a look and its a got some useful information.

Sharla

This is the problem with putting a full set of meanings into Houses. A Grand Tableau becomes far too complex. Yes, Snake adjacent Man can indicate a rival for his affections but to assume that because Man is next to the House of Snake also means that there's another woman is pushing things too far. One of the rules of Houses is that they don't influence the cards next to them - only the card that falls into that House. Whip adjacent Man can indicate that he is an argumentative person. With Man in the House of Clouds (?) he could be confused and of two minds (Whip - arguing with himself) about his involvement with the querent.

Yes i understand what you mean about it becoming far too complex as thats whats happened.
Man in the house of clouds yes, but then whip in the house of snake followed which is why i was thinking what i was about another woman involved.