Lee Bursten vs Jodorowsky

inanna_tarot

I vote Lee in that he helps make reading the TdM more 'obvious' and easy for those going from RWS to TdM. He gives you contextual framework of the cards as well as how to interpret those minors consistantly (rather than just converting the images to RWS in your head).

I agree, the deck isnt my cup of tea, but the book is worth it.

herself

I know this is an old thread, but is this what everyone is talking about with regards to the Bursten? I'd love to get a copy, but $28 for a 16 page paperback (no cards?) seems a bit excessive...

Richard

There's no way in hell that I can go along with Jodo's claim that the TdM is the only true Tarot, even though it is my favorite of the so-called historical decks. I don't have a spiritual need to believe anything merely because some 'authority' says so, and that includes Tarot dogma.

JMD's book is the most useful book I have read on the TdM, because most of it is based on solid historical research. Reading methods do not interest me very much because I have my own way of doing that, and it works.

If I had to choose a ready-made method, it would be Lee Bursten's Pips as Trumps, which is explained for free in an AT thread which he started. It is compatible with the way I read the RWS (which is emphatically not based on the meanings or the CC spread given in Waite's PKT book).

herself

Thanks for the follow-up info Gregory, LRichard and jean bosco... I agree that the deck isn't, er, my favourite example of its kind, but the kit could still be interesting.

The link you posted LRichard, looks to be a good place to start. I may just see how far I get using that as reference, rather than committing to a deck I'm not that keen on, and a book I'm mostly just curious about.

I've also got the JMD book- I bought the digital version and managed to wrangle it to my tablet. That, combined with Enrique Enriquez's Looking At the Marseilles Tarot has given me much more confidence in reading with TdM decks. Hell, they are FUN! :D

I'm just always looking for different ways to look at the cards with new eyes and this one sounded interesting...

Zephyros

There's no way in hell that I can go along with Jodo's claim that the TdM is the only true Tarot, even though it is my favorite of the so-called historical decks.

Actually I agree with him. :)

swedishfish612

I too love Jean-Michel David's book, but it is much bigger and more expensive - and many of us - including me - had one HELL of a time buying it from Lulu !

I've held off because I've read that several times, but I really want that darned book! lol