Tarot Plain and Simple.

Holland

Hello out there.
I am about 3 months or more old in Tarot and my first(currently only) book is Tarot plain and Simple by Anthony Louis.
I wanted to know who else has read it? What is your opinion? Is it a good book for a beginner like me? If you did not care for it, why? Was there something better?
Blessings my friends.

rwcarter

I have over 600 books on tarot and TP&S is the one I grab for first if I need some help with a card. I think you've made an excellent choice for a first (and only) book. I intend to get his second book one of these days....

ana luisa

I agree. Tarot Plain and simple is VERY accessible and I have been using it for years. Louis' style is easy to understand and quite practical. Good choice.

Holland

Awesome! This makes me happy, glad to know I picked a good book. Any other books you would recommend and why?

ana luisa

It depends on what you´re looking for in the book . Another great FOUNDATION book is "Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning. She has a course online (free) and I took it and decided to seal the end by buying the book. Now, there´s a little gem that´s very underrated but that literaly threw me into the intuitive vibe for reading. It is not as good for "meanings" as such but it gives great tips and insights on how to approach a card intuitively. It´s called "A Magical Course in Tarot" by Michele Morgan. It was the first (and probably only book I´ve read) that called my attention to noticing minute details and changes in the environment from card to card. Does the lush garden become a desert ? it also helped me identify with someone or something in the card.In this card, who do you feel mostly like ? The angel or the cups ? That sort of thing. I believe you can find it used for as little as 4 dollars. Really worth getting. Another book that has been talked about a lot here on AT is Dusty White´s "The easiest way to learn Tarot - Ever!". Since I do not own it, I cannot tell you much about its contents. But there is an ongoing thread about it and you might want to take a look. ;).

Onion Budgie

I'd second ana luisa's recommendation for Joan Bunning's "Learning the Tarot". It's a great book, packed with exercises and a ton of useful info, keywords, spreads, you name it. The layout is very reader-friendly.

MarkMcElroy

You've come to a good place for advice. :)

Many students of mine over the years have enjoyed or started with _Tarot Plain and Simple_, so I'm confident you've got a book there that will serve you well.

When I was first learning Tarot, I loved Joan Bunning's _Learning the Tarot._ For a long time, it was the only book I used. I liked the fact that she put her entire book online, for free, for anyone to see, but later I bought several copies (some for me, some as gifts) to support her work.

I also liked Mary Greer's _Tarot for Yourself_, which is more of a workbook or textbook, and takes a different approach.

When you're ready for a slightly deeper dive into the meaning of the Majors, I'd really recommend Jason Lotterhand's _Thursday Night Tarot_. It's a write-up of a very wise practitioner's free lectures on the deeper meaning of each Major. There's a gentleness and a sweetness to his work that some esoteric or mystical teachers lack. I love that book to this day.

Everything you learn becomes a "hook" you can use to catch new insights with. Here's hoping your Tarot journey is a long and happy one!

Holland

You've come to a good place for advice. :)

Many students of mine over the years have enjoyed or started with _Tarot Plain and Simple_, so I'm confident you've got a book there that will serve you well.

When I was first learning Tarot, I loved Joan Bunning's _Learning the Tarot._ For a long time, it was the only book I used. I liked the fact that she put her entire book online, for free, for anyone to see, but later I bought several copies (some for me, some as gifts) to support her work.

I also liked Mary Greer's _Tarot for Yourself_, which is more of a workbook or textbook, and takes a different approach.

When you're ready for a slightly deeper dive into the meaning of the Majors, I'd really recommend Jason Lotterhand's _Thursday Night Tarot_. It's a write-up of a very wise practitioner's free lectures on the deeper meaning of each Major. There's a gentleness and a sweetness to his work that some esoteric or mystical teachers lack. I love that book to this day.

Everything you learn becomes a "hook" you can use to catch new insights with. Here's hoping your Tarot journey is a long and happy one!

OH! Thank you, I will have to check it out! That sounds exciting.

Freddie

I have this one coming in the post. It looks really good and since I have fallen (again) under for the Robin Wood Tarot magical spell, I am looking forward to reading it.

Freddie

3ill.yazi

You chose well. My first book was Eden Gray's book (I can't remember which, they are all variations of the same) but I'm not sure I would recommend it to beginners anymore. I also highly recommend Bunning, Greer's book on reversals, Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot, the Louis book, and above all Dusty White's book.