21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card, thoughts/opinions anyone?

Alea

What are your thoughts on this book? Did it help you in any way? if so, how? What did you benefit in reading and learning this book? :)

Ace of Stars

This book is phenomenal. I am currently on Step 13, working through it with my Tarot book club.

It has helped me get way more out of any card -- looking deeply at the image for the meaning rather than relying on memorized book meanings, understanding the way the cards in a reading act together, creating my own Tarot language, so much more. In short, it has made me a better Tarot reader.

I think if anyone commits to really working through the exercises in this book, they have a ton to gain. Very rich.

3ill.yazi

It seems like a ton of work, and I don't know if I'd have the attention span to do so many permutations with one card.

But I might give it a shot. I just discovered a study group for it on Facebook.

happyfish

I'm working through this book for the second time. It's one I'll come back to over and over. Most tarot books I own go through each individual card, giving descriptions and meanings. This is not one of those books.

I'd say this is sort of a "level two" tarot book. I think it'd be best for someone who already has a decent grasp of the structure of tarot and a working understanding of card meanings. This book is focused more on the art of reading, and the exercises get you to dig deep.

The main thing I'd say to anyone considering getting this book: DO THE EXERCISES. This is not a book you simply read, it is an educational tool. You won't get a lot out of it if you just READ the exercises, you need to actually DO them! You'll likely be surprised by how much you learn from them, too. And they aren't that time consuming - I can usually sit down and go through one of the 21 steps in maybe 30 minutes.

annabel398

It's a very highly regarded book but I could never sustain my interest in it. I just this morning put it in my "sell to Half Price Books" box. So if some kind moderator will step in and point us to the right place for such things, I will take it back out of the HPB box and we can make a trade.

twilight_dusk

not really my type of thing,too much workbooking! ;D

Onion Budgie

It's a great book. I'm working through it at the moment (I've yet to begin step 14 at the Apprentice level). Some of the steps are more involved than others and require serious thought and effort -- and soul searching too, which I wasn't expecting when I began the bookwork! The Six of Cups feels like an old friend to me now. :laugh:

My experience so far with the book has been similar to Ace's post above. I would imagine that if one had the time and inclination to follow the steps with all 78 cards of their deck, it would enrich one's appreciation of it a billionfold.