Loose Tea Leaves for Tea leaf readings

Horace

I have Jane Lyle's Cup of Destiny. The cup has symbols with a matching book description for a 'game' to learn as a gateway. The book tells how to decipher shapes and patterns that show up. It also has an extra section to explain all the zodiac symbols on the saucer. Jane's book has all that celticnoodle mentioned, even on the timing part. The only thing I could add, is, the book says start with the cup handle as you read. That is you or the querent. It's fun, pretty spot on if you're receptive, and best of all. I've not had anybody get freaky about it. I figure it's been around long enough to be a proven method of divinination.:) Mine was a gift, but I would've bought it for myself. Hh

celticnoodle

oh yes, horace! i forgot to mention that my nanny always started at the handle of the cup. I believe she would read going around one side which I believe is related to the future and then the other way, which was the past. you mentioning that triggered something in this ol' memory of mine. wish I could recall for certain tho. I would guess it would be going clockwise. so holding the handle you'd go right for the future and left for the past? hmmm...got to investigate that!

Horace

OK, the picture in the book shows the cup divided into 3 sections. Around the handle symbols represent the situation or current state of mind. The Rim and upper part represent the immediate present and future, perhaps a day or so. Middle, up to a week, and the base, a week, or up to a few months. I'm going to have to go make some tea!:)

BeyondtheVeil

eyeDEEclaire said:
I don't like Earl Grey at all. I LOVE oolong! I haven't actually tried tea leaf readings but a Syrian man I worked for as a teen showed me how to do readings with Turkish coffee. Unfortunately, I don't like Turkish coffee. It's like sludge.

I love oolong too! I actually just tried my first cup yesterday! :)

BeyondtheVeil

celticnoodle

celticnoodle said:
I have also heard that you should use tea that is not fruit or flavored teas, such as the cinnamon teas, or the orange teas, etc. however, I cannot recall why that is so. also, it is most beneficial to find tea leaves that were rolled, rather then crushed--and most importantly- not in a tea bag. the tea bag teas are too fine a tea, having been crushed.

definitely no strainer! you need to place about 1/2 to 1 tsp. of tea leaves into the cup and pour the boiling water into the cup to steep. I've also have been told or read that a white cup or light colored cup is the best tea leaf reading cup to use, so you can easily see the symbols the tea leaves leave behind.

my grandmother read tea leaves and w/her, you couldn't add sugar or any other sweetener. you didn't have to have much tea if you cannot stand the unsweetened teas, but you did have to have at least 1/2 cup and drink the majority of the liquid, while thinking of your question. then the cup was turned upside down onto its saucer, to expel the remaining liquid. (if you do not have a saucer, use a paper towel).

the tea reader will then turn the cup while upside down, around 3x--clockwise and then turn it over. the tea leaves will have stuck to the inside of the cup and is thus read in that manner. there is a timing read as well with tea leaves, but for the life of me, I cannot recall how that is done. I've tried tea leaf reading many times, but not very good w/it. :( so, I don't have any of my tea leaf reading cups or books w/me here in this home.

there are many different ideas on reading tea leaves. but it is most important to read w/tea leaves and not teabag tea. anything that is coarsely crushed is best, as the finer crushed tea - such as teabag tea-just won't work.

I love Earl Grey tea! and the Darjeeling, English Breakfast, and Ceylon. I also like Lady Grey tea. but some of my fave teas are--cinnamon teas, orange rind tea, and chamomile teas. I'm fortunate to have a tea store just south of us, where I can get fresh teas of pretty much any flavor/idea. they'll mix them as well for you. fresh teas are wonderful! much better then teabag tea. however, teabag tea is much more convenient.

hmmm...the more i think of it, I believe the tealeaves closest to the rim of the cup are what will occur soon and the further down the cup to the bottom is the future or would that be the past? things that had already occurred? not sure on that.

Yes.. it definitely says NOT to use tea in bags for the exact reason that you said. It also said to make sure the leaves aren't too large either as they will just wrap around the cup and not show any images.

This book says to turn the cup, counter-clockwise, 3 times before turning it upside down. I guess it is just what each person learns. She makes it seem really easy. I think she said if you have an imagination enough to see pictures in clouds, etc then tea leaf reading is the same. I don't know since I haven't ever tried reading tea leaves yet. lol That kind of puts some stress on. :laugh:

This author seperates the cup into three sections. Or 3 areas of the "bowl' of the cup. She says the rim/upper third of the cup represents the immediate present and the next couple of days.
The middle section of the cup refers to the relatively near future, up to 2 weeks away.
The bottom and base of the cup refers to 2 to 4 weeks away.
These were in the book The art of tea leaf reading by: Jane Struthers
I add that because I don't want to infridge on her book rights, etc. :)

She also says that after you turn the cup over in the saucer to NOT look at the cup yet, but instead take some time to see if you get any emotions, feelings, or images. After a bit, then turn over the cup and look at the symbols or pictures in the cup. She also says that the first cup of tea in the pot is the only tea you should read. {So if doing many readings, you need a fresh pot of tea for each reading}. The reason being is that most of the tea leaves go out with the first pouring, so there won't be enough left over to get a good second reading.

She also agrees that reading near the handle is very important as it refers directly to you/querent. To also read in a clockwise direction.

She also says that having a white/light colored to the inside of the cup is very important. That and not having any other pictures/symbols inside the cup. It should be plain inside the cup.

I am ordering my tea pot and tea. I hope that I can have you guys let me practice on you when ready. :D I can't promise I will see anything except lumps of tea leaves, but trying to stay positive. lol

Thanks so much for sharing, celticnoodle! You are so very knowledgable in lots of things. We are all lucky to have your experience and kindness to help us out. :heart:

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

Horace said:
I have Jane Lyle's Cup of Destiny. The cup has symbols with a matching book description for a 'game' to learn as a gateway. The book tells how to decipher shapes and patterns that show up. It also has an extra section to explain all the zodiac symbols on the saucer. Jane's book has all that celticnoodle mentioned, even on the timing part. The only thing I could add, is, the book says start with the cup handle as you read. That is you or the querent. It's fun, pretty spot on if you're receptive, and best of all. I've not had anybody get freaky about it. I figure it's been around long enough to be a proven method of divinination.:) Mine was a gift, but I would've bought it for myself. Hh

I was going to get that book, but it wasn't available at the time. So I ended up buying The art of tea leaf reading by: Jane Struthers. She also has a ton of symbols and their possible meanings. I am very impressed with this book. I stated above what she says about timing. I also like that she says to practice as it will get much easier. She said to use your intuition and to keep a Tea Leaf Reading journal. One one side of the page, write the reading and sketch the shapes. On the other, come back later to write what actually happened. I like that she says her symbols are a starting point and that intuition will take over. I am glad that there are so many pages of symbols and their meanings though because when first starting out.. I think I may get stumped. lol

eyeDEEclaire

Horace said:

That's the one! I think I will get it the next time Border's emails me a coupon.;)

Chronata

This is a great thread!

I just recently had a gig doing tea leaf readings for a tea room/cupcake cafe.

I had brought my own tea,(a darjeeling long leaf blend)as usually I add leaves to the cup already brewed...but I quickly discovered that the tea room only used fresh loose tea leaves.

What an interesting experience!

I discovered that some leaves are easier than others.

Also, each person having tea got to choose their own cup at the start of the event...which added to the personality of the person in the reading.

For instance...my spouse picked a cup with no handle. And usually I read handles as... closer to the handle the leaves are...the more it affects the drinker personally. And so I figured it could go either way.
In his case...nothing was affecting him personally.

But then again...his leaves were rooibos(red tea)...tiny little flecks everywhere...like trying to find a polar bear in a snow storm!

But it was a neat cup, because things definitely formed out of the chaos,I just had to focus on the first ones that came to me.

I read with many kinds of tea...including Jasmine (a little more difficult to get any good pictures, as it clumps easily and the weight left everything at the top of the cup) and Earl Grey (lovely to get good symbols from!)

One lady had a cup with a rose printed on the inside...and wouldn't you know...a little rabbit appeared in her cup right on top of it! Love and bunnies....a little fertility action there!

One thing I noticed this time around...I saw a few things that I had no idea why I was seeing them...weird symbols...so I mentioned them anyway, and it turned out they were very personal symbols to the people I was reading for!

One was a billy goat (which connected to the woman's childhood...and her love of her pet goat) and another lady had a man riding an ostrich, which was as odd a symbol as they come! When I said it, she laughed and turned beet red, as this was connected to a joke between her and a man she wanted to know better!

BeyondtheVeil

Chronata

Chronata said:
This is a great thread!

I had brought my own tea,(a darjeeling long leaf blend)as usually I add leaves to the cup already brewed...but I quickly discovered that the tea room only used fresh loose tea leaves.

What an interesting experience!

I discovered that some leaves are easier than others.

Also, each person having tea got to choose their own cup at the start of the event...which added to the personality of the person in the reading.

For instance...my spouse picked a cup with no handle. And usually I read handles as... closer to the handle the leaves are...the more it affects the drinker personally. And so I figured it could go either way.
In his case...nothing was affecting him personally.

But then again...his leaves were rooibos(red tea)...tiny little flecks everywhere...like trying to find a polar bear in a snow storm!

But it was a neat cup, because things definitely formed out of the chaos,I just had to focus on the first ones that came to me.

I read with many kinds of tea...including Jasmine (a little more difficult to get any good pictures, as it clumps easily and the weight left everything at the top of the cup) and Earl Grey (lovely to get good symbols from!)

One lady had a cup with a rose printed on the inside...and wouldn't you know...a little rabbit appeared in her cup right on top of it! Love and bunnies....a little fertility action there!

One thing I noticed this time around...I saw a few things that I had no idea why I was seeing them...weird symbols...so I mentioned them anyway, and it turned out they were very personal symbols to the people I was reading for!

One was a billy goat (which connected to the woman's childhood...and her love of her pet goat) and another lady had a man riding an ostrich, which was as odd a symbol as they come! When I said it, she laughed and turned beet red, as this was connected to a joke between her and a man she wanted to know better!

What an awesome experiences you have had! :) So, you can read with all types of teas? Could you help me out.. what do you think about these for tea readings:
http://marketspice.com/store/products/green-marketspice-tea-16oz-package

http://marketspice.com/store/products/marketspice-tea-16oz-package

When I was reading about them on another site, it said they use orange oil instead of orange peels. That should be okay then right, or no?

Would you mind me practicing on you also when I get ready? I could always use the help and practice. If you don't mind. You don't have to of course. :heart: I was just hoping that after I gave you a reading or two, that you could give me some tips if I wasn't getting it. I think it would help to get advice/guidance from someone who can do these. I am so excited! I just ordered the tea pot and cup that I am going to use. :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences and your knowledge! I really appreciate all the help!

BeyondtheVeil

celticnoodle

I am ordering my tea pot and tea. I hope that I can have you guys let me practice on you when ready. :D I can't promise I will see anything except lumps of tea leaves, but trying to stay positive. lol
oh how exciting! I LOVE teapots. began to collect them, but then that came to a bit of a standstill. but, i absolutely LOVE teapots---nearly as much as I do tarot decks. :p I also love the tea cups--esp. the kind people use to always drink out of--with saucers and such--old timey china ones. :) try to post a picture of your tea pot if you can!

Thanks so much for sharing, celticnoodle! You are so very knowledgable in lots of things. We are all lucky to have your experience and kindness to help us out. :heart:

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil
*blush* oh shoot, BTV. I mostly know about tea leaf reading as a result of watching my nanny read for people. if nothing else, she did instill in me a love for drinking tea! I only wish she would've shared her knowledge of reading tea leaves.

and, BTV, you can practice reading tea leaves for me ANYTIME!!! :D

I'll have to share a funny story on reading tea leaves. my daughter bought me two tea leaf reading cups one year as a present. when I went to visit her, I took both along with me and of course some fresh tea leaves too. so, we proceeded to read for each other, but neither of us could get past the thought that the tea leaves were just big clunks of tea leaves stuck to the sides of the cups. :p

just then, my sil came in and asked what we were doing. laughing, we explained and he picked up each cup and HE READ THEM! he could see images in the clumps.

then what he read--came true for each of us! he does have some psychic abilities, but none of us ever expected he could read tea leaves. I only wish he'd keep it up. :(

chronata said:
very cool, chronata! i had hoped to speak with the owner of a little luncheon cafe/tea house in NY, to offer tarot card readings, but never got the chance to do so. however, I know of a lovely tea house here in VT that may be open to my reading cards for their customers. If I knew how to read tea leaves, I'd do that--but I'm not very good w/that. :(

you were very good at interpreting those symbols. I'm afraid I'd have never thought of a man riding an ostrich! :p I'm IMPRESSED!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing your experiences. it makes me wanting to bring my tea leaf reading cups back here to try it again....maybe i will! :D