"Live to Become" Tarot Deck?

gregory

AprilFool said:
Yes, and take special care with my Michaelangelo sculpture in the backyard, er, I mean the formal gardens, as well! :D
Oops..... :bugeyed:

er - sorry about that - was it insured ? :|

I do think the size thing is a shame; I thought she would have sorted it by now....

AprilFool

gregory said:
I do think the size thing is a shame; I thought she would have sorted it by now....
Yep, me too. I was actually thinking of trying to trim the larger ones down a tad, but there are too many, and they are so thick! I may round the corners, though. Square corners are too pokey in a bag, yanno?

gregory

:bugeyed: I would NEVER manage to trim corners on such thick stock - never mind I bet I would SCRATCH it.... keep us posted if you do.....

AprilFool

gregory said:
:bugeyed: I would NEVER manage to trim corners on such thick stock - never mind I bet I would SCRATCH it.... keep us posted if you do.....
Well, NOW you've gone and scared me with your bugeyed comment! ;) I probably will hold off on that! :laugh:

I actually just got a chance to look thoroughly through the deck, card by card, and I must say, that 5 of cups is phenomenal! Having the one cup pour OVER the figure in the card, and having the only upright cup be the one receiving the water from the pouring cup is absolutely speaking VOLUMES to me about the meaning of that card. There are others that blow me away as well - they are RWS-like in many ways, but oh, so creative in their own right! Different sizes or not, this is one nifty deck!

With apologies for a rather smallish scan of this lovely card, below is my first attempt to upload an image. Khara, if you object to this from either a quality or a copyright standpoint, I will respectfully remove it, but I wanted to share the lovely imagery:

Attachments

• Live to Become Scan 5 Cups.jpg
    Live to Become Scan 5 Cups.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 78

WalesWoman

I did trim the deck and tried to get it all the same size, but didn't trim the corners because I am not so good at doing that and don't have a corner cutter.

I haven't noticed the cards scratching, tho' if there was a laminator around, I think I would laminate the card faces and leave the backs alone. Since there isn't, I have decided they need to live in a wooden box, so they won't get bent or beat up in the tarot basket the box-less bagged decks go in.

Other wise I think this deck is great for reading with, I do the bed spread shuffle or maybe it's tarot poker shuffle, like I'm dealing out 7 stacks of cards, many, many times. I can't shuffle worth a darn without dropping half the cards or getting clumps that want to stay together, so I use this method for about all my decks.

The woman who makes these must be on the shy side and isn't very communicative about her deck. I asked her a lot of questions too, tho' she was prompt to reply, just didn't say a whole lot. :D Even if she's printing a few at a time, there aren't that many out there, if you count up her sales on etsy anyway and I think it's one fine deck for being homemade.

AprilFool

Hi, WalesWoman! Did you use scissors to trim it, or a guillotine cutter? That's a lot of thick cardboard! Are you happy you trimmed it?

I think as far as scratching goes, I'll just baby it. The stock on the side that the images are printed on is just as smooth and silky as any deck I've ever felt - probably the result of being unlaminated in any way! :|

But from a tactile standpoint, they just FEEL so good - easy to literally stroke the surface of the paper! The black, plain, matte cardboardy backs, however, look like they'll eventually just show a ton of fingerprints. And don't even THINK about touching these cards w/ greasy fingers! :laugh:

You're right about the shyness, or whatever it is. Khara is reticent in her communications. I don't read it as unkind, just shy like you said. I hope she knows how amazing this deck really is! I wish it could be mass printed - I think it's a really deep, lovely deck. There are actually images I see in the random splotches of her watercolors - this is really a good one for meditation and reflection.

desertrat

Well, I ordered this deck off Etsy 3 weeks ago and have not received it yet. It appears I am having the same problems as the OP had. I've sent 2 very polite emails to the seller and have not received any reply. It makes me wonder if the artist prints the deck after she gets an order. Well, despite all the waiting, I am heartened that all the buyers did eventually receive their deck. That is something...I just wish Khara would offer me a reassuring reply instead of silence. :(

desertrat

I received a reply from Khara today. She has to hand cut and glue each card and there were two other orders ahead of mine. I told her to take her time - we don't need to rush such a laborious process. :) I am much happier now that I know what is going on. It's nice that she is having some success in selling her enchanting deck. :thumbsup: