"Earth-Centered" Decks

newlillith

I just got the Wildwood and love it. I also use the Earth Magic Oracle deck, which is fantastic and very earthy.

ETA: I should probably type more than "I love it." Wildwood tarot is dreamy while still down to earth. It's hard to describe it in exacting detail, but the images are striking and well colored. The Earth Magic oracle is one of my favorite decks, though I rarely use it. The images are very life like and the booklet that comes with it has fantastic descriptions of the natural elements taking places in each card--as well as what it means in terms of personal or spiritual growth.

hunter

I love the IDEA of earthy decks, but all of the ones I purchased left me disappointed. I'm the type of person that would rather have nothing at all than something not up to par. I guess I had to buy and use the decks to decide for myself how lacking they were.

As a trauma victim I am always looking to ground, and anyone in the profession will constantly ask me, "what are you doing to ground?". So believe me I desperately wanted to find an earthy deck I could work with long-term. I'll always have my eyes open for this type of deck.

marimorimo

The Tarot of the Old Path does not have washed out colors at all. It seems to me the artist used either acrylic or gouache, not watercolors. I'd say the colors are very bright.

Barleywine

Is anyone familiar with the Sacred Circle tarot? I know it's a mish-mash of CG, photography and hand-painting, but the artist's stated goal of "magical realism" intrigues me. The card scans I've seen look a bit like computer-game graphics, though. I'm thinking that the large book might be worth the price of admission.

toj

I have the DruidCraft and the Llewellyn Decks which I think fit into the earthy category. The Druidcraft never did much for me but the Llewellyn is for me quite beautiful and is rooted in the Welsh culture which is quite interesting as well. The card size is nice and the book that goes with it is good.

Barleywine

I have the DruidCraft and the Llewellyn Decks which I think fit into the earthy category. The Druidcraft never did much for me but the Llewellyn is for me quite beautiful and is rooted in the Welsh culture which is quite interesting as well. The card size is nice and the book that goes with it is good.

Thanks for the reminder. I remember being impressed with the Llewellyn when I first saw it, but somehow lost sight of it. On the list it goes :)

Emily

Sacred Circle

Is anyone familiar with the Sacred Circle tarot? I know it's a mish-mash of CG, photography and hand-painting, but the artist's stated goal of "magical realism" intrigues me. The card scans I've seen look a bit like computer-game graphics, though. I'm thinking that the large book might be worth the price of admission.

I'd completely forgotten about this deck. It was the first deck I'd bought back in 03 with real people featured in it. I looked through it a few times, never used it and put it straight back into its box with the intention of going back to it - I never did.

It was one of the first photo/collage decks so isn't as well done as the photo/CG decks now, the people looked very posed but, I've gone through a lot of decks since then, tastes change and it looks very usable now. I'll have to go and get it out of storage, see what I get from it now. I do remember it having large glossy cards and good cardstock.

Emily

Sacred Circle

OK, Just seen a YouTube video of the Sacred Circle, nope still doesn't do it for me. All I see are people dressed up. And I really don't like the baby face in the Sun card. I think I'll leave the deck where it is for now.

I've used quite a few photo decks since buying the Sacred Circle, including a really bad but fun Photo collage RWS that has no name, where everyone looks like they raided the kids dressing up box, I got it for a bargain and am a little embarrassed to say I like it but I do.

But as for the Sacred Circle, no, I don't think so. Check out the YouTube video, you might still like it.

Edit
I thought it was a little unfair of me to mention a deck you would never find so here is the link to the thread of the Photo collage RWS.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=52375

MysticalMoose

Another vote here for the DruidCraft it's been my favourite for a LONG time.. also the Llewellyn and Earth Magic Oracle have been on my most used list for a long time... Also the Celtic Tarot by Julian De Burgh and I find the Paulina to be quite earthy with all it's foresty brambles too :)