Vargo Gothic - Protecting the cards

JeNNi

Another newb question :)

Since I finally got this beautiful deck I want something special to keep it in....I cant stop looking at these cards - So gorgeous! I want to keep them in good shape and I want a place to put them in. Should I get a tarot bag or a box? Anyone know of any cool sites that have tarot bags to put the cards in? I think I saw some on the net that were made of velvet and had satin inside that looked really nice. I want something thats gonna match the cards. Also maybe a spread cloth? How large should this be and what should it be made of?

What do you guys use?

annik

Personnally, I had put my decks in what had been a printer's desk. I no longer have the printer (it was an very old printer). So that desk, so I reused it. It is perfect for my decks. And in arm lenght of the computer, so I can consult them while I am here! lol!

But I had made (knitted, in fact) some bags if the necessity of travel (mainly short distance) is needed.

Beside that, I don't do much more.

Alissa

Jenni, those are defintely all personal details that I think YOU are the best person to answer for Your Deck! :D You will likely know the right bag, and the right spreadcloth, when you see it, I'm sure. [Like when you get that delicious shiver down the back of your neck in the store as you spy the perfect item, and your Gothic cards whisper, "Yessssss~!!!"]

This is a great time of year to find spooky cloth samples in the stores, if you're the make-it-myself type. I also know there are a number of Tarot bag makers on the forum, you may wish to check out the Advertisements forum here at AT to see if you can find something yummy there. Also, I've heard of cheapies on ebay too.

I keep my cards in a purple knitted bag, one that a friend gave me with another deck but I dumped out those cards and gave this bag to both my Monolith decks... the Endora and the Gothic live in this extra roomy bag that I have. They get along well in there together, and rarely fight. ;) ...They are also extra good about not getting intermixed, as they are the exact same size, and sorting the decks from each other's embrace would be a chore.

I have this thing against spreadcloths... I hate them. I understand why people use them, and more power to ya if you do! But I *hate* them, irrationally so. So I don't use one for my deck.

lunar_rabbit

I found an inexpensive wooden box at Michael's (a craft store) that fit one of my decks perfectly. I painted it with acrylic paints -- just abstract shapes and various colors, nothing fancy. Another deck is in a simple piece of cloth, wrapped up like a present. One box is still in it's original box and nothing else.

My new Faery Oracle didn't want a box just yet. So they are on the top of my bookshelf with my crystal rabbit sitting on top. I guess they wanted to be naked for a while. LOL.

Just get whatever suits you! You should keep them safe from excessive dust and any spills, but other than that, the sky is the limit.

Personally, I have never had any luck with spread cloths. They seem to shift around too much, or aren't quite the right size for my decks or my table. I much prefer to just lay them out on a clean surface.

JeNNi

well the goth deck doesnt have a home just yet but I am looking. I dont think I will be using a spread cloth either. I have a nice big glass table that I use and it seems to work great. However it is a bit slippery so I might need to find a BIG table cloth or something to go over my table ;)

My gendron tarot is kept in a neat little box that I found on ebay. It has jade inlayed in the top of it and is quite odd looking. Ive never seen anything like this box. Anyways thats where the gendron tarot stay.

The faeries oracle still has no home. They sit outside for now. I would like to find something for them as well.

Ace

lunar_rabbit said:
I found an inexpensive wooden box at Michael's (a craft store) that fit one of my decks perfectly.

------------------------
Personally, I have never had any luck with spread cloths. They seem to shift around too much, or aren't quite the right size for my decks or my table. I much prefer to just lay them out on a clean surface.

Really? what size is it? I look for boxes, but none of them fit my cards, I think most are cigarette boxes! As for spread clothes, here is one recent thread on it:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=31366&highlight=Spread+cloth

but honestly, JeNNI, there is NO ONE TRUE WAY here. Just do as you want to house your deck. The tarot bags at Shopwicked, that you can see at the Competion #10 thread are pretty. And my friend's daughter did something a bit creative to make a bag for her's (it sort of wraps around then buttons) but the cards are JUST CARDBOARD. They will wear out and need replacing -you can replace them with another Goth deck (if that is what you use now) but don't use them to tatters! Be brave, replace your deck when it wears out!

Alissa

A caveat about boxes....

I've heard of others in the past having disasterous results using boxes with a wood stain that bled on to their cards. Make sure the surface the cards rest in or on is either cloth, or untreated wood. You don't want nasty mahogany colored stains all over your gorgeous cards!

lunar_rabbit

Ace said:
Really? what size is it? I look for boxes, but none of them fit my cards, I think most are cigarette boxes! As for spread clothes, here is one recent thread on it:

It's just one of their standard boxes. I tried doing a search on their website, but didn't find any listed. When I did a search on Google, I found this site, which looks really neat! http://www.worldofboxes.com

September Pixie

I'd say the choice of bag, box, or cloth is a personal decision.. My friend Peggy made a bag and cloth for mine after the Ace of Pentacles, I personally keep mine in their box inside a bag and for extra protection I have added a silicon packet to make sure nothing gets damp inside. Good luck and welcome! :D

Disa

I'd been storing mine in a black velvet bag with a silky blue lining. It's a snug fit but it's all I had at the time. I thought it would prefer to be in a bag with a bit more red so I ordered one from Tarot Totes a few days ago. I'm really happy with all the other bags I've gotten from them so far. Hopefully it will feel at home in a cotton bag, instead of it's former, more regal dressing.

(Edited to add)
My package from Tarot Totes just arrived. My deck is thrilled with it's new bag featuring black leafless trees, bats, and beautiful gold lightening set against a sky of red, orange and deep purple whisps. The cards fit perfectly inside.

D