Fantastical creatures - looking good!

faunabay

magpie9 said:
I always end up disappointed with Lisa Hunt's decks--there's inevitably a big disagreement between her mythology and mine. I can't ever actually read with them, and it's always such a disappointment, because she's such a good artist. I think I'll just pass on this one, with The Morrigan as Empress it's just too much of a stretch for me, right out of the barn. And I expect she's done swords and fire and wands as air yet again.

This is me too, magpie9. I usually don't keep her decks. I absolutely love the artwork but don't seem to beable to read with them. The one exception to this is the Celtic Dragon. I really like that one. So I think I'm going to have to try the Fantastical Creatures - just to check it out. :) I'm not sure whether I'll like it or not but I do want to try. I also agree with you about the Morrigan as Empress???? That seemed quite strange to me too.

Jewel

magpie9 said:
I always end up disappointed with Lisa Hunt's decks--there's inevitably a big disagreement between her mythology and mine. I can't ever actually read with them, and it's always such a disappointment, because she's such a good artist. I think I'll just pass on this one, with The Morrigan as Empress it's just too much of a stretch for me, right out of the barn. And I expect she's done swords and fire and wands as air yet again.
Hi Magpie9, like you and Faunabay, I have been challenged in connecting with Lisa and DJ's decks, though I LOVE the art. The Animals Divine (by Lisa) was a total bust for me. I am researching these points people bring up, because I am really really wanting to like this deck, and for it to be a deck I use. So with that said, like with Sarvana, I am not trying to change or contradict your opionion, but as I am not that well versed in mythology thought I would google to see if I could get some insight into the choice of the Morrigan for the Empress card. I believe I found my answer at the following web site, from which I have cut and pasted a quote:

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/morrigan.html

"Origin
The origins of the Morrigan seem to reach directly back to the megalithic cult of the Mothers. The Mothers (Matrones, Idises, Disir, etc.) usually appeared as triple goddesses and their cult was expressed through both battle ecstasy and regenerative ecstasy. It's also interesting to note that later Celtic goddesses of sovereignty, such as the trio of Eriu, Banba, and Fotla, also appear as a trio of female deities who use magic in warfare. "Influence in the sphere of warfare, but by means of magic and incantation rather than through physical strength, is common to these beings." (Ross 205) "

After reading this, I gather that they are focusing on the "mother" aspect of teh Empress perhpas the "regenerative ecstasy", "soverignty" ... and as a sovereign and mother her willingness to do battle??? They are including a darker aspect of the Empress ... just my thoughts. They could also be strictly focusing on the positive side of the Morrigan and ignoring her battling tendencies all together.

I have been exploring the Celtic Dragon in the "78 Weeks" study group, and one thing I have noticed is that within using the theme some of the overall meanings we have for a specific card are sacrificed for purposes of the theme (part of my study is comparing the CD to the RWS). This deck may have to do the same with some cards, due to the theme they will not convey the total mythological or tarot meaning, but there will be an intersection of the two. Does this make sense???

As for the fire/swords, air/wands, I am pretty sure DJ and Lisa will do that. Their reasoning is based on pagan rituals where wands direct the will, and swords are active magical tools. This is how it is explained in the intro of the CD book. I prefer the fire/wands, swords/air alignment personally but I can see where they are coming from.

OK I am done rambling now :)

Citrine

Jewel said:
I have been exploring the Celtic Dragon in the "78 Weeks" study group, and one thing I have noticed is that within using the theme some of the overall meanings we have for a specific card are sacrificed for purposes of the theme (part of my study is comparing the CD to the RWS). This deck may have to do the same with some cards, due to the theme they will not convey the total mythological or tarot meaning, but there will be an intersection of the two. Does this make sense???

Yes, that makes a lot of sense and you hit upon an aspect of theme decks I hadn't really given much thought. I guess that what makes various theme decks interesting, assuming you have a feel for the theme and can work that into your readings.

You'll have to share some more of your experience with the Celtic Dragon tarot and your 78 Weeks study group, that sounds intriguing.

Jewel

Citrine said:
You'll have to share some more of your experience with the Celtic Dragon tarot and your 78 Weeks study group, that sounds intriguing.
I will PM you on this as I don't want to de-rail the thread. But the reason I mentioned my work with the CD was becuase I think that experience applies universally to themed decks of which the one we are discussing here is.

In 78 Weeks I am finishing up my week with the Empress, from that experience my take on the Morrigan being used here is that her "mother" aspect and "goddess" aspects are what are beeing focused on, and the protectiveness mothers have. The focus in on her benign aspects, which also forces us to look at the Morrigan herself differently ... not only at her battle aspects.

Citrine

Jewel said:
I will PM you on this as I don't want to de-rail the thread. But the reason I mentioned my work with the CD was becuase I think that experience applies universally to themed decks of which the one we are discussing here is.

In 78 Weeks I am finishing up my week with the Empress, from that experience my take on the Morrigan being used here is that her "mother" aspect and "goddess" aspects are what are beeing focused on, and the protectiveness mothers have. The focus in on her benign aspects, which also forces us to look at the Morrigan herself differently ... not only at her battle aspects.

Okay, thanks. And thanks for that insight as well.

Yes, I think the mother aspect is what is being focused on here. She does look pregnant in that image after all. Though Morrigan has negative aspects, you information you quotes does show that she is a good, if unusual, choice for the Empress in the setting of this deck.

6 Haunted Days

*sigh* When is this deck coming out already?! I am so anxious for it, everytime I look at the cards I get so excited! I thought the release was set for sometime in July?

shadowdancer

have been advised by Jeannette delayed until August

coyoteblack

magpie9 said:

I love the deck but if you ever read the ulster cycle , then consider the Morrigan as empress it just seems odd. She was all into butt kicking her older sister/other self would have made a better choice of Empress.

On the flip side just seeing her there might inspire others to look into Irish myth . and that in it self is a good thing.

yaraluna

I don't know about readability of her previous decks, but this one seems ok for readings. just by looking at the cards on her website though.
I'd have to see the actual thing.

yara

faunabay

yaraluna said:
I don't know about readability of her previous decks, but this one seems ok for readings. just by looking at the cards on her website though.
I'd have to see the actual thing.

yara

I completely agree yaraluna. I always hold off absolute opinions until I have a copy in my hands. Sometimes what you think when you see the scans on line is not the way it works when you have the deck in your hot little hands. :) So even though I'm hesitant about this deck and how it will work for me I still have it on pre-order through tarot garden.