Majors only

Papageno

Kenny said:
I'm interested in lots of forms of divination methods and ways of looking at the world.

Runes have 18, 24, or 32 marks
Ogham has 20 or 24 marks
Qabalah has 32 paths
Tarot has 78 cards

you forgot the 64 hexagrams of the I-Ching :)

Skysteel

willowfox said:
I was not actually addressing you but as you think I was...

Hello again!
- :D

Papageno said:

81 Tetragrams of the Tai-Hsuan-Ching...8-13 Witches'/Gypsy Runes...

kwaw

frelkins said:
In many places in Europe it's still quite accepted to do only Majors. I think only in the USA and the UK is it not -- a bias we see reflected here because the language is English. imvho. :)

Worldwide I think an ordinary pack of playing cards, or a reduced set of such, are the norm for fortune telling purposes.

On the continent, or France at least, majors only from the tarot seems to be most common.

I think that if a full pack of tarot is more common in English speaking countries (and I don't know for sure that it is), then one reason may be down to the influence and availability of the RWS with its illustrated dm's of the minors, making it easier for beginners to use the full pack for such?

Though the worldwide use of ordinary playing cards indicates that using just suit and pips should present no real reading problems, perhaps that reading the latin suits appears to be a problem among some is a reflection of their being spoilt by the RWS? They have learnt or rather been spoonfed on something that requires least effort? (And have become lazy in their expectations and willingness to put effort into other systems),

Not that this is necessarily wrong, a computer program for example should be user friendly enough so that most people, with nothing more than basic, minimum computer literacy and certainly without need to be programmers themselves, are able to use such 'intuitively'. Also, to go off on a sleight tangent, though it may for example be preferable for designers or critics of role playing games (computer or otherwise) to be aware of ritual and semiotic modeling, for this to be apparent in play among gamers is surely a sign of a failing in the game? Such structural elements should be 'hidden' (occulted) from plain view.

Kwaw

willowfox

Papageno said:

Plus the 384 different lines.

Papageno

Kenny said:
As another aside my own oracle I designed with only 3 dice gives complete readings though I have eighteen elements spread over three dice.

would love to see a thread and pics on that :)

are these by Q-Workshop?

Moonbow

teeny weeny moderator note...

morticia monroe said:
For those of you who have been reading for some time, I'd like to ask about Majors-only decks.
When do you reach for them in lieu of a 78 card, "full" deck? As one who is still a novice, the "bigger is better" theory seems reasonable as a larger deck would be able to break things down and pinpoint a reading a bit better.
I have found a few decks online that I absolutely love, only to be disappointed when I find that they are majors-only. What am I missing?

I thought this would be an opportune time to remind us all of mortica monroe's post. Essentially she is asking " When do you use Majors only as opposed to a 78 card deck"? Although we all have preferences, and opinions on what is considered a Tarot deck, I think mortica's question is valid and would love to read some answers!

So... when? When a Majors only, and when a 78 card? And... how and why do you chose? I can see that for novices and experienced people alike, this would be an interesting topic.

Moonbow*

elvenstar

I don't have any Majors-only decks, but have been thinking about it because I sometimes do Majors-only readings. I'm not very experienced with it but I like it a lot.

I think the advantage of using a deck that only has the majors is like someone said, that it's been conceived from the start as having only 22 cards, so it's perhaps less likely for you to find the imagery 'lacking'. Having said that, I've been using the majors of the Arcus Arcanum on their own and I didn't feel they were lacking in any way. So anyone can give this a go, you don't need a new deck (*dodging vegetables aimed at me for trying to deprive people from a new-deck excuse*).

So why do it? It's just a very different way of reading, I wouldn't say better or worse, but the focus and the feel is different. It always gets to the bottom of things, I find Majors-only readings deeper and more to the point. Great for getting the big picture. Details are perhaps more difficult to catch, but I find it gets easier once you don't depend on the minors to automatically 'fill in the gaps'. I also tend to use less cards, usually 2-3, but up to 7 works fine for me, like the Tau-cross. On the whole for me it's more challenging and more rewarding. It's like a change of resolution, e.g. I see all the reds and blues and hues therein, but less confused and diluted, as readings with the 78 can sometimes be. Purer?

Sometimes it just feels more appropriate, but I can't really explain how I judge that in detail. Some times if I'm looking for the deeper causes or major repercussions of something, or the most important differences between two choices etc. For some readings of a more spiritual nature. Sometimes I just feel that's what the person needs. Sometimes it's what I need, so as to rely less on the actual cards and more on myself and the magic of reading...

I'd say to whoever is curious, pick out your 'strongest' Majors and give it a try. I learn a lot by doing these readings, even if in the end it's not your cup of tea, you'll come out enriched by the experience. :)

ps. Where I come from (Europe) I believe tarot is traditionally read with only 22 cards, Marseilles-like. I think only recently have 78 card decks become more popular.

morticia monroe

Great post, Elven. Thank you for the input. I'll give it a shot and try a few readings with majors-only to see where it takes me.

Kenny

Papageno said:
would love to see a thread and pics on that :)

are these by Q-Workshop?
As far as I remember the dice I use are standard gaming dice made by Chessex.

I use a d4, a d6, and a d8.

If you do a search for threads started by me dealing with 'dice' then you'll find a whole list of threads where I mention the oracle.

As this is not really to do with tarot if you want to know more then PM me! :)