Tarot with astrology, or Astrology on some cards?

rif

I've been wanting to post this for a while, it's something that has been bothering me.

Where do we draw the line between tarot as tarot, and tarot as an extension of astrology?

Like most of you I've been working with the Golden Dawn tradition (not limited to Thoth specifically), and this means learning cards and trying to understand the astrology that lies behind them.

One day I realized something that was bothering me: I felt like the cards were treated an extension of astrology in this system. Or at least that's what I feel when participating in Aeclectic forums. Is the 2 of Wands the deuce of the Wand suit, or is it Mars in Aries? Sometimes I think people see it as the latter more than the former.

Then where do we fit in Qabalah? Are people adding in the qabalistic meaning, and balancing (to keep the example) Mars in Aries with Chokmah of Atziluth?

And after studying I periodically step back and wonder why we shouldn't just use a bunch of cards with astrological systems on them. Maybe that's a side effect of where my studies get directed in part of following these forums. But really, if the correspondences define the cards, why not just go directly to the correspondences? Better yet, why not stick with astrological geomancy, or go back to classical astrology practices?

Then I happened across this quote from Pat Zaliewski, that I really like:
The focus should always be on the symbols on the card and the story
that they tell. If you look at the "Magical tarot of the GD" and start
with the ace of each suite and follow the symbology of the cards
through a series of ten steps then the major patterns of the cards and
what they are trying to say becomes clear becomes clear. All the other
associations, such as astrology and myth etc. take a back seats to
this otherwise you would have a set of blank cards with astrological
symbolism on them. Crowley, to a limited extent, also went down this
path for his Thoth deck but was not consistent with his follow through
explanation of the patterns in every card. Sometimes astrology will
run in tandem with the card meaning and sometimes it will not but the
picture is there for a reason and it takes predominance. If you accept
this fact that the picture or symbols are the primary focus of card
interpretation -then a Divisional wall comes up between different
decks as the differences are explored. Sometimes these differences are
minor sometimes they are not.

It presupposes that a deck is designed in a coherent fashion to have harmonious meanings, and puts the focus back on the cards images, rather than the correspondences.

So has anyone else felt this way? Am I over-reacting? Does everyone talk about astrology here but focus on the card images when reading?

I'd love to hear your thoughts about this.

RichardT

Well in a way, don't you always reach back into the meaning behind the picture, one way or another? I mean, when I get the fool, I don't predict that a man with the sun on his crotch will be attacked by a tiger. (although I should try that some time, it'd be fun!)

I'm just learning, but to me the purpose of the deck is to tie together a vast array of attributions through its imagery. An astrological framework is just one of those attributions, so I don't see tarot as a mere extension of astrology. If it's a well-done deck, looking at the imagery should allow you to draw on that vast array of correspondences (modulo whatever slant the artist puts on it)... but the more you know about the underlying systems, the farther your subconscious/psychic/whatever mind will be able to "reach" when looking for the pertinent information.

I admit, I'm one of those people that reads primarily via the attributions, and then I try to add in some color and detail through free-associating with the imagery. I'd actually be comfortable with a blank card that said "2 of Wands" on it.. I've memorized the rest!

rif

RichardT said:
Well in a way, don't you always reach back into the meaning behind the picture, one way or another? I mean, when I get the fool, I don't predict that a man with the sun on his crotch will be attacked by a tiger. (although I should try that some time, it'd be fun!)

That is true. Although the sun might be painful if you tried that. :D

I admit, I'm one of those people that reads primarily via the attributions, and then I try to add in some color and detail through free-associating with the imagery. I'd actually be comfortable with a blank card that said "2 of Wands" on it.. I've memorized the rest!

I understand the value of the attributions, but I think they help me understand how a card got its meanings. This means the attributions are part of my conscious learning process, but if they are used in my readings, they are more subconscious. I don't look at the Emperor and think "Aries" I think about the qualities I've learned for the Emperor which (hopefully!) go beyond Aries.

Making use of the cards' imagery/symbolism to work with its assigned attributes requires, as you mentioned, a deck designed to be harmonious with the symbolism.

I'd actually be comfortable with a blank card that said "2 of Wands" on it.. I've memorized the rest!

And I've utilized a Marseilles in like fashion a few times. :) But seriously, that forced me to rely on my learnings more. Yet it somehow brought out intuition in conjunction with LOOKING at the card.

I dunno, maybe I am 'whining' about nothing. I just like being able to use these pretty pieces of cardboard, otherwise I'd be an astrologer instead of reading tarot. :)

Also, I wasn't singling out anyone with my post. Just pondering something that I think of now and then while I'm learning.

RichardT

rif said:
This means the attributions are part of my conscious learning process, but if they are used in my readings, they are more subconscious.

To me, that's the ideal situation. You know the underlying material, and the imagery helps you tap into it. From what I can tell, just about every line and color in the Thoth deck is a call back to some traditon. At least, that's what some authors will tell you. Black bones in the death skeleton? Saturn. You know? So, as those things get internalized, the imagery will send your subconscious mind all over the place. At least, it could.

ravenest

rif said:
Then where do we fit in Qabalah? Are people adding in the qabalistic meaning, and balancing (to keep the example) Mars in Aries with Chokmah of Atziluth?

And after studying I periodically step back and wonder why we shouldn't just use a bunch of cards with astrological systems on them. Maybe that's a side effect of where my studies get directed in part of following these forums. But really, if the correspondences define the cards, why not just go directly to the correspondences? Better yet, why not stick with astrological geomancy, or go back to classical astrology practices?

Because the tarot (particularly Thoth) is a multi-dimensional tool. It isnt just one thing or the other, this is stated clearly in intro to book of Thoth, AC correlated many traditions into Thoth deck.

To get the big picture or have a more enlightened viewpoint it helps to look at a thing from as many directions as possible and via as many models as you are familiar with. The Sufi's say that to understand something more fully one needs to understand it on 7 levels ... remember the Sufi story of the men and the eleohant in the dark. Dont try to just use astrology or tarot to understand things, use both and everything else at your disposal, then after a while when you are in the zone it will happen automatically, an energy or event will be seen in terms of element, planet, sign (maps of 4, 7 &12), color, form, geometry, I ching, Qabbalah, etc etc,

It does help to have a central reference point though, mine was tarot so i related all the rest THROUGH that as the focus, for others it might be astrology or qabalah.

Yygdrasilian

Yoga of the West

Tarot, Qabalah & Astrology are 3 parts to One system.

Bernice

Ygg: Tarot, Qabalah & Astrology are 3 parts to One system.

ahem... they have been coralled into the Western Mystery Tradition which uses the TOL to 'unite' many understandings into one system.

Which is not to say that Tarot and Astrology are/were integral to the TOL. Ooops, you forgot the I Ching - another system that has been integrated with the Tree.

Bee :)

Scion

Yygdrasilian said:
Tarot, Qabalah & Astrology are 3 parts to One system.
NO.

Yyg, that's a ridiculous statement in a thread that is manifestly debating the appropriation of ideas by the various esoteric schools of Tarot.

At best, that's a theoretical position undefendable by recourse to even the most outrageous academic scholarship. Their origins are divided by thousands of years and miles, unless you're speaking them as worldviews along a very generic continuum. Only speculative folks have ever claimed a unified tradition for these three, and none of them have agreed on the why's and wherefore's. If these did represent a single system, they would cohere... And for the love of all that's holy please don't take this as an invitation to play 7th grade math games "proving" that 7+3=10=1. For you to claim that Qabalah, Astrology, and Tarot are (*cue ominous chord*) "part of One System" you have either to mangle the definitions of all three so completely as to render them valueless as designators or to consider them at such a distance that their specificity has blurred into meaningless homogeneity. And actually, Bernice raises a great point, but whether the appropriation was organic or artificial is a topic for another thread.

Rif's question is an excellent one and tests the margins of a topic that has been coming up quite a bit in recent months. Zeitgeist, I s'pose. I think I'd say that the Tarot is useful in the same way a cookbook is useful. A cookbook isn't an enormous trunk filled with the author's entire tasting menu on a hundred plates under Saran Wrap; it's an abstraction that allows them to communicate and you to experience their "tasting menu" symbolically in a way that's more intuitive and specific than talking about the molecular composition of crème brûlée. IMO, the art of cooking (like the art of divination) uses symbols for more than simple designation. Reading a list of ingredients is not the same as cooking, let alone eating.

Cards that merely depicted astrological symbols would at best be a simplistic, literalist rendering of one (important) tradition absorbed into cartomancy. The decan of Jupiter in Leo isn't literally the celestial body of Jupiter in the chunk of the ecliptic we call Leo... it's astrological shorthand. The attributional architecture of astrology (oy, that's a mouthful :bugeyed:) allows for subtlety and precision. To my mind, the strength of Tarot is in building on a solid estoeric base (syncretized at whichever point floats your theoretical boat) and translating it effectively into images that maintain the meaningful coherence of the underlying symbols. Someone asked in another thread, "Why read cards when Horary astrology is so much more specific?" The truth is, I don't think we're talking about quantity as much as we are about quality. so your question is a bit like asking why we read Austen when there are so many more regency romances in print in the world... Or why restaurants in Italy serve pizza, when it's an American invention? There are books and books, questions and questions, divination and divination.

RichardT said:
Black bones in the death skeleton? Saturn. You know? So, as those things get internalized, the imagery will send your subconscious mind all over the place. At least, it could.
Exactly. Applying those symbols is much the same process of applying any symbol set: learning the basic characters, the common configurations, and then experiencing their permutations over years and years and years... Think of how long you've known how to read, or to do basic arithmetic. You've wired your head to note and categorize those patterns... why should these other symbol sets be any different? It stands to reason! And if anyone seriously wants to come to grips, we're talking YEARS of daily use, observation, and application. Crowley recommends daily exercise with these critters over decades. Not seeing the Black bones and having to think: "Mars? Chokmah? Rubedo? OH! Saturn/Binah/Nigredo!" But actually, instantly reading the blackness the way you can read the letter P wherever you see it: polysemically. What I've come to believe is that of these schools of thought (astrology, QBLH, alchemy) represent a way of discussing time in a spiral of increasing specificity. Time not just as a straight line running in one direction, but Time as a terrain, a force, a shifting matrix. In fact, the fundamental difference between the scientific materialist view and the Hermetic/magickal/religious view is the characterization of Time.

For the scientific materialist, one moment is by definition identical to any other. If I drop an apple at 3 am or if I drop an apple at high Noon, the apple accelerates at 9.8 meters per second squared. In the absence of mitigating variables, in experiment performed on 12 consecutive Thursdays won't get different results than one performed in a different country or in the middle of the night. It is silly to suggest that completely different experimental data will emerge if a rock millions of miles away occupies a different space in the apparent vault of empty space. Events are relative and meaningless and random. Any subjective distinctions are projected by humans. There is no inherent meaning or power that distinguishes moments. Time is a uniform neutral background that does not affect and is unaffected by phenomena.

The magickal folks are the exact opposite. No time is like any other. The daemon I summon at 2 pm on Friday is NOT the same spirit I'd want to summon at 11pm on Wednesday. A baby/project/question born at this moment is not the same as one born at that moment. There are times when it's better or worse to close a deal, end a fight, or overcome illness. The funny thing is, that's the way most people live even though they'll tell you over annd over they aren't "superstitious." It's instinctive; Time isn't uniform; it has a shape, a quality, a charge... no matter how many times scientists assure us it's neutral and beige. Of course, I'm biased. :D But whenever rationalist types get stroppy, I'll point out that you can't put two people in a lab and tell them to fall in love or to have an inspired idea.

That said, I think the exercise of wedging all of these symbol sets into one enormous übersystem is misguided and vaguely dopey. People do it because their aping the Golden Dawn (consciously or no) but it smacks of the Victorian-era all-cultures-are-one idiocy that makes people say things like, "That's the Egyptian Satan." :rolleyes: Uhhh, they weren't post-Babylonian Yahwists. Try again. Anthropology and theology has moved on in the past 150 years. The Victorian mush-it-together impulse, is entertaining but it isn't very useful. We know that Aphrodite and Venus weren't the same goddess, let alone Aphrodite and Hathor (no matter what Herodotus says) or Aphrodite and Parvati :bugeyed:... They aren't uniform alphabet blocks. Sadly, the GD's influence means that New Age hacks treat everything as if it's identical to everything else, but it is not. Or at least, no one who claims it is has looked very hard. Where these schools of thought overlap there are interesting variables, but they are not identical or equivalent unless you're reading a Silver Ravenwolf book and worshipping the bogus, generic McGoddess in a Starbuck's bathroom.

The other thing is that most people can tell you where the Qabalah fits without really bothering with the Astrology. That's a fluke of academic history and has been the way for the past century or so, because most books cover Qabalah and most credible, accessible research on Astrology occurs relatively recently. The Golden Dawn didn't have access so they went with what they had. But actually the same specificity holds true there, whatever your symbol set: the landscape of time is either charged and meaningful or it isn't. QBLH at its root is about the character of time because it is a "map" of manifestation. How do you make a Universe? Very carefully. :)

rif said:
if the correspondences define the cards, why not just go directly to the correspondences?
And I'd answer, respectfully, because the map is not the territory. If I type the word APPLE, you can't bite or smell or taste or feel the slip of its skin... but the minute you read that - APPLE - the symbols did something inside your head (and mouth and nose and hand and ear). It took an entire lifetime of APPLE(s) to charge those 4 shapes of those 5 letters with all the mundane, sensory information it holds for you. Esoteric symbols are no different, just harder to exercise and less commonly used. It's like my decan example above. The quality of "Jupiter in Leo" is not equivalent to one squiggle that looks like a whimsical four next to another that looks like an anxious sperm... any more than we should decide that rather than reading books we should just "go directly" to the alphabet and forget all that pesky grammar. I believe that the grammar, the style, the Art reveals the potential of that symbol set, not its limitations. The meaning and power and possibility arise between symbols; the connections, the context is everything.

The distinction is the same as the one between a pair of wings and a handful of feathers.

Scion

Yygdrasilian

The Artist's Bed

Scion said:
...that's a ridiculous statement in a thread that is manifestly debating the appropriation of ideas by the various esoteric schools of Tarot.

At best, that's a theoretical position undefendable by recourse to even the most outrageous academic scholarship. Their origins are divided by thousands of years and miles, unless you're speaking them as worldviews along a very generic continuum. Only speculative folks have ever claimed a unified tradition for these three, and none of them have agreed on the why's and wherefore's. If these did represent a single system, they would cohere... And for the love of all that's holy please don't take this as an invitation to play 7th grade math games "proving" that 7+3=10=1. For you to claim that Qabalah, Astrology, and Tarot are (*cue ominous chord*) "part of One System" you have either to mangle the definitions of all three so completely as to render them valueless as designators or to consider them at such a distance that their specificity has blurred into meaningless homogeneity. And actually, Bernice raises a great point, but whether the appropriation was organic or artificial is a topic for another thread.
1 think 1 understand your objection... as you seem to have made opposition to the idea of constellating Tarot by digital root something of a personal cause. However, additive persistence is the Key to understanding Tarot’s function as a ciphertext unifying Qabalah, Astrology and Alchemy in a single coherent system.

Granted, “Tarot” is a more recent innovation, and has proven itself a highly adaptable medium for the human impulse to syncretize. But using it as an archetypal index isn’t exactly the same as accessing its secrets. One doesn’t need to ‘mangle the definitions of all three’ as they are mutually illuminating and, in some respects, rendered unintelligible without their shared context.

The question over whether to pay more attention to Tarot imagery or the correspondences is really a question of function; and, in this regard, must address whether the system of letter-symbols, glyphs and numbers are a meaningful code that has been purposefully organized to communicate specific esoteric knowledge which the card imagery makes more accessible; or if those images have come to represent the archetypes matching a system later pinned to it - thereby making their association arbitrary, at least at some stage within Tarot evolution. Fortune favors the former, as it teaches the Yoga of the West; whilst the latter - a brilliant card trick, so long as it keeps you fooled.

And...
0h, 1 know 1 tend 2 3 5 8 13 through Time... but how many houses does One stone build?

RLG

Why is it so difficult to accept the simple idea that the Tarot was developed independently of qabalah, astrology and alchemy? These disciplines might later be absorbed by the tarot, but they were never part of the original design of the pack of playing cards. Its wonderful that the tarot can be used for such diverse purposes, as a sort of clearinghouse for a wide range of esoteric ideas. But it's pure projection to think that all this was designed into the deck from the beginning.

All of your arguments about 'constellating cards and reducing them to their digital root' has nothing to do with the tarot, and everything to do with Hebrew qabalah, specifically, the alef-bet. Your alignment of ordinal numbers in certain sets is completely contingent on the Sefer Yetzirah attributions of astrological entities onto the letters of Hebrew. You could make your argument regardless of what is attributed to the Empress or the Magician, because they play no role in the reduction of your numbers to single digits.

For example, its true that the ordinal numbers of the 'elemental' and 'zodiacal' letters of Hebrew give rise to the numbers 5 and 73. Bravo. But that is only circumstantially related to the tarot.

So not only do you make unsubstantiated claims about the planetary orbit values being *deliberately* hidden in the tarot sequence, but you don't even need the tarot to make this argument in the first place. They're really in the sequence of the Hebrew letters, which were not associated with the tarot until centuries after the creation of the cards. And even if they were attributed to the tarot originally, (which they weren't), the cards themselves have no role to play in your digital roots, because the astrological groups are determined by letters. And there is absolutely no way that the Hebrew letters were given astrological attributions based on the tarot, since there is no evidence that tarot existed until long after the Sefer Yetzirah.

In short, you'd be on firmer ground arguing from a qabalistic basis, and leaving the tarot out of it, since you have no evidence that the cards have anything to do with it in the first place.

Despite having said all this, I can tell from your previous responses that you are uninterested in listening to, or directly responding to, any critique of your calculations and what they allegedly prove. If you were capable of objectively looking at your own work, you would see that what I've said above is true. I say it not to disprove you personally, but because as an innocent bystander, that's what it looks like from my POV. And if you're not willing to engage with others in a discussion of ideas on their merits, then don't be surprised if they lose interest in talking to you.