Book of Law Study Group 1.37

Aeon418

Mantras and spells? Techniques associated with the East and the West.

Obeah and Wanga? A reference to various forms of Afro-Caribbean shamanic sorcery? It's possible. But I can't recall Crowley ever saying much about that form of practice. He explored many of the worlds spiritual traditions first hand, but I don't think he was ever exposed to any form of African shamanism.
It could be a reference to any form of primitive folk magic or witchcraft.

Work of the Wand and Sword? Training of the will and the mind, based on techniques and practices from around the globe.

Grigori

I've never of obeah or wanga's before, so googled. I found a useful little artilcle on wikipedia, with some of the commentary from Crowley and some possible contexts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obeah_and_Wanga

The line "these he shall learn and teach" is interesting. I would assume by this stage in career Crowley already had learnt the work of the wand and sword as magical tools and what they represent. So I assume the use of the word "shall" indicates that he learns them anew, with an understanding rooted in Thelema, which he will pass on.

Aeon418 said:
Work of the Wand and Sword? Training of the will and the mind, based on techniques and practices from around the globe.

Its funny as the wand is very commonly associated with will, but in his tarot the word Thelema meaning Will appears on the Ace of Swords, and also on the lovers card (hebrew letter Zain, meaning a sword). Not sure what that means, just something interesting I just noticed. :)

Aeon418

similia said:
I've never of obeah or wanga's before, so googled.
I wonder how much Crowley knew. Notice how he goes straight for the etymology of Obeah.

In the verse I get the sense of the old High magic versus low magick division. Mantras and spells (high/sophisticated) - obeah and wanga (low/primitive). But the new way is the best of all systems.
similia said:
Its funny as the wand is very commonly associated with will, but in his tarot the word Thelema meaning Will appears on the Ace of Swords, and also on the lovers card (hebrew letter Zain, meaning a sword). Not sure what that means, just something interesting I just noticed. :)
But Thelema is the Word/Logos of the Law. See Crowley's closing comments on the Ace on page 203 in the BoT.

Always Wondering

Similia said:
The line "these he shall learn and teach" is interesting. I would assume by this stage in career Crowley already had learnt the work of the wand and sword as magical tools and what they represent. So I assume the use of the word "shall" indicates that he learns them anew, with an understanding rooted in Thelema, which he will pass on.

I keep wondering, did I miss something? Is there anywhere that says Aiwass is talking only to Crowley?

"These he shall learn and teach." You guys have all learned and taught me. That is the way I see these lines. I know it's do as thou wilt, and I can take this however I want, but for my own education, did I miss something? Or is a matter of two different but equal perspectives?

AW

cardlady22

The phrase learn and teach reminds me of things where they say you haven't truly learned a thing until you've taught it to someone else. Imparting it well and rightly to another person requires another level of understanding, correct?

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Or is a matter of two different but equal perspectives?
The historical perspective that focuses on Crowley and the individual perspective on the text. I think both have their place, and sometimes they blend together. I was trying to show this very thing with my comments on verse 36 where Ankh-af-na-Khonsu could be seen as a direct reference to Crowley himself, but also how it relates to aspirants at particular levels of initiation. (The subsequent silence told me it was time to shut up. :laugh:)

In this verse (37) I get a similar sense. The word "he" in relation to learn and teach suggests Crowley, his mission in life, and the mystical and magical system that he left behind for us to explore and learn from. But in another (intuitive) way I can see it saying something else. This verse specifically mentions the Wand and the Sword. But what about the Cup and the Disk?

What if the "he" that shall learn and teach is the letter Heh. The Cup and Disk correspond to the letter Heh in IHVH. The outer and inner life of the aspirant. The place where the learning, teaching, and ordeals take place.

Grigori

Always Wondering said:
I keep wondering, did I miss something? Is there anywhere that says Aiwass is talking only to Crowley?

I think because I was reading this line as a continuation of the previous one which authorized Crowley's commentary, I read it more purely as directed at Crowley. In contract to previous lines where I've been trying to focus on it being directed at me.

But this different angle makes the previous line more interesting also. It would suggest that Ankh-af-na-Khonsu (each of us) are authorized to comment on the text with the guidance of Ra-Hoor-Khu-it, our own HGA. Even if Crowley's commentary predicts we'll be shunned for it :laugh:

More learning and teaching for each of us, I keep seeing evangelism in this text!

Always Wondering

:laugh: Silence on my part never means I want Aeon418 to shut up or I don't agree with Similia.

It usually means:
A= I am digesting.
B=I've wondered away and gotten lost. :laugh:

But I always find my way back. ;)

I am getting good and grounded and ready to study again.

AW

Aeon418

similia said:
But this different angle makes the previous line more interesting also. It would suggest that Ankh-af-na-Khonsu (each of us) are authorized to comment on the text with the guidance of Ra-Hoor-Khu-it, our own HGA.
Bearing in mind that we're not talking about AANK as the dead Osiris/Asar (Malkuth), but united with R.H.K. as 666. In the graded initiatory structure of A.'.A.'. that would correspond to the grade of Zelator. It also ties in with AL 3:63-64.
63. The fool readeth this Book of the Law, and its comment; & he understandeth it not.

64. Let him come through the first ordeal, & it will be to him as silver.
This suggests that a degree of initiatory insight must be obtained in order to comment on the book with any kind of authority. Below that level it is just a matter of opinion. Much like these study threads, you can take 'em or leave 'em.