Tarot of the Holy Light Companion Book

The Happy Squirrel

This is going to be on my list for sure. But it has to wait for my bank balance to recover first :)

Patrick Booker

Nemia

That looks very very interesting. Benebell's reviews have made my order finger twitch a number of times ;-) and I really like her book, so I take this review seriously. I'll buy the book anyway because I'm so intrigued by my HL deck.

The Happy Squirrel

That looks very very interesting. Benebell's reviews have made my order finger twitch a number of times ;-) and I really like her book, so I take this review seriously. I'll buy the book anyway because I'm so intrigued by my HL deck.

Nemia you just enabled me :p

Nemia

I read Scion's scathing review some time ago and decided nevertheless to buy the deck, in spite of the brilliant analysis of the flaws Scion identified in its underlying system. I have not read the book in question itself so I reserve judgment - and since I'm far from being a scholar in that area, I might never reach a final judgment.

But I feel, completely irrational LOL, that a deck that has such a visual appeal is worth exploring by myself. That's why I waited for the book. I want to read it myself and give the author the chance to convince me, to disappoint me, to inspire me, to leave me cold, or to do a bit of everything.

And if the deck works as a system in itself, if it's an example on a wrong theory that brings true results - all the better.

The pictures of the book on Benebell Wen's site show that a huge amount of work has gone into this theory. The deck is IMO one of the most special I own. I bought the Hermetic Museum book many years ago where the originals may be found.

So I feel that I have many puzzle pieces, including Scion's review. And I feel that I'll have to put them together and see what I get.

Since I firmly believe that there is no such thing as waste of intelligence (or as FlyLady puts it: even housework done improperly blesses your family... LOL), I want to read the book and start using the deck.

The Happy Squirrel

I wish I have something deep to say about my reasoning to get the deck to begin with but I got it because I thought it was pretty! :p There it is :D

And then of course I want to understand it more, and thus the need for this book :) I suppose I am more interested in getting some grips on the deck rather than the underlying thesis which gave birth to the deck. If that make sense.... I know the two are separate obviously.

My modest academic background predisposes me to certain biases in what I see as 'competent' methods of inquiries. This doesn't prevent me from appreciating various personal views of course. Introspections, self reflections, and the sharing of personal epiphanies are all a different sort of a beast from the more structured methods of theorising. I learned a lot from other people's sharing of their world views. I have however made up my mind at this point about which school of thought/s I am more aligned with, with regards to the development of tarot in recent history. And until this particular hypothesis is disproven, properly, I doubt I would change my mind anytime soon.

I have to say Scion's review have pushed me squarely to the other side of the fence I was sitting on. That book or 30 page article that is yet to be written, now that, I would want to read.