"The Key" to "the true"

Aeon418

It just goes to show you that you can still be a human being while following and practicing the teachings of the supposedly Wickedest Man in the World, Aleister Crowley. :laugh:

Netzach

Aeon418 said:
It just goes to show you that you can still be a human being while following and practicing the teachings of the supposedly Wickedest Man in the World, Aleister Crowley. :laugh:

I seem to remember that this was an epithet that Crowley used for himself . . . probably tongue in cheek. At the beginning of the Thoth book, Lon writes about Crowley - and it's most interesting because he separates the legends from the truth. I came away from that part of the book with quite a different view of Crowley from my previous idea of him.

Aeon418

Netzach said:
I seem to remember that this was an epithet that Crowley used for himself . . . probably tongue in cheek.
Actually it was the headline of the tabloid newspaper, John Bull, for 24th March 1923. Crowley was a regular target because they knew he could not afford to sue, so they could print anything they liked. Sensational stories sell newspapers, always have, always will do. And people are still as gullible as ever and believe whatever gossip the media prints.

Discrimination really is a virtue.

Netzach

Aeon418 said:
Actually it was the headline of the tabloid newspaper, John Bull, for 24th March 1923. Crowley was a regular target because they knew he could not afford to sue, so they could print anything they liked. Sensational stories sell newspapers, always have, always will do. And people are still as gullible as ever and believe whatever gossip the media prints.

Discrimination really is a virtue.

Thank you for the correction . . . but I think it was an epithet that Crowley rather enjoyed, wasn't it?

Aeon418

Netzach said:
but I think it was an epithet that Crowley rather enjoyed, wasn't it?
Part of him probably did enjoy it immensely. After all, he loved to shock the shockable and was a firm believer that any publicity is good publicity.

In a way Crowley was incredibly naive about human nature. He thought that intelligent, educated people would instantly see through the tabloid headlines of the gutter press. That was rarely the case though, even to this day.

tmgrl2

Aeon418 said:
Actually I would be nervous if the title was "The Key to the True Interpretations". The meaning of the symbolism is another story altogether. Too often with Thoth tarot books the meaning of the symbolism is thrown out in favour of the authors own views, which sometimes have absolutely nothing in common with the creators original intentions. Authors like Gerd Ziegler, Hajo Banzhaff, and Angeles Arrien all foisted there own interpretations on the symbolism, rather than letting the symbolism speak for itself.
I've just ordered a copy, so I hope Snuffin has had the good sense to do the latter.

I agree with you. I think the title speaks for the contents...facts, those that the author believes are "true." Not likely I will get it.

terri

Aeon418

tmgrl2 said:
I agree with you. I think the title speaks for the contents...facts, those that the author believes are "true." Not likely I will get it.
Like the saying goes, the proof of any pudding is in the eating. I think I will reserve judgement until I've read the book. Although I am a little concerned about the authors rumoured use of reversals. Can anyone confirm or deny?

FaireMaiden

Originally Posted by Aeon418 said:
It just goes to show you that you can still be a human being while following and practicing the teachings of the supposedly Wickedest Man in the World, Aleister Crowley.
*lol* You mean these people are actually people?!?... They're not sub-human minions of Satan come to destroy all that is good and holy and decent?!? *lol*

It has always saddened me, (and continues to do so), that, in lieu of going to the 'source' and finding out for oneself 'what's what', people prefer to not only believe whatever is said about another, but actually base their 'discernment' on such second- and third-hand innuendo and sensationalism, *sigh*

As for the Original Poster's wonderings about the book in question--> I agree, how can one possibly pass judgement on something they have yet to read??? The only way one will find out IS to actually read what the author has to say, not speculate on the 'Title' of said manuscript and pass judgement on the entirety thereof as being without merit...

Netzach said:
I seem to remember that this was an epithet that Crowley used for himself . . . probably tongue in cheek. At the beginning of the Thoth book, Lon writes about Crowley - and it's most interesting because he separates the legends from the truth. I came away from that part of the book with quite a different view of Crowley from my previous idea of him.
Aye... Aleister used such phrases as 'Wickedest Man in the World' and 'The Beast' as marketing tools, and not without, I would imagine, a twinkle in his eye whilst doing so, *lol*

There was many a jest made at Aleister's expense during Lon's teachings for, whilst there is a reverence and admiration for Aleister's quest and accomplishments, there was also the ability to see his foibles, his inadequacies, his particular failures of character... It is one of the reasons I enjoy reading Aleister... he readily saw these failures in his character and could laugh at himself for them... a trait I find particularly refreshing in any human being, and most assuredly in 'teachers' of the arcane, *s*

I'm so glad you have come away with a broader view of him, *s*... Whenever I am asked about Aleister, about which book to start with, I always suggest his, 'Little Essays Toward Truth'... A small, 87-page book that is the culmination of his philosophic axioms... the fundamental structure on which his entire magickal career is based... One will find no magickal formulae, no obscurity, no mumbo-jumbo in this treatise... It is, in a word, the 'heart' of him, *s*, and lays to rest the 'sensationalism' that has dogged his profound contribution to the body of occult knowledge we are, in today's world, free to dip into without recrimination...

Ange

I've only just started to learn the tarot, and am only just getting into the history of it......however, any mention of a darker side or occult really worries me and I'm happier to think that such as Crowley went one way, and I'm going the other......

Ang x

FaireMaiden

Ange said:
I've only just started to learn the tarot, and am only just getting into the history of it......however, any mention of a darker side or occult really worries me and I'm happier to think that such as Crowley went one way, and I'm going the other......

Ang x
I'm sorry, but, 'dark' and 'occult' are not synonymous... 'Occult' means 'hidden'... as in 'Occult Knowledge' meaning 'Hidden Knowledge'... 'Dark' means, well, I think in the context you're giving, you mean it to express something along the lines of 'wicked' or 'sinister'???

To use the Tarot is to seek out occult, or hidden, knowledge... nothing 'dark' about it... so, nothing to fear...