Mary Packard - Tarot de Marseille

starlightexp

I gotta say that back design gives me a reason to pass

Desecrated

I really like the backs. They look like old wallpaper.
The black border on the other hand was a bit disappointing, I wanted gold.

Tibor

So there is no cloth included in the set this time???

agviz

What are the actual dimensions of the cards?

Emily

I like the back design too - it's different.

The Book Depository has this deck kit in now, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of mine. :)

Le Fanu

Mine's also on the way. Wondering if I can do without the reading cloth [emoji3]

Tibor

Wondering if I can do without the reading cloth [emoji3]

I know it is a cheap cloth but I think it would still be a nice touch and would also be usable.

Myrrha

I like the backs quite a bit because they have a relationship with the fronts without being re-used card images in the way that Lo Scarabeo sometimes does it. These are prettier than a tarotee while still being very neutral.

Looks like a very nice deck.

FLizarraga

I found it in Toronto Indigo today so I picked it up. I snapped quick pics.

Box

The box is exactly the same size as Golden Tarot, except opens as a book with a well for the cards and the book on top. It's a clean and elegant presentation. After two decks, we may surmise that all future Packard boxes will be this size.

A nice meaty book again, covering history, French and Italian decks, comparisons to Conver, Etteilla and European divination, the Sefiroth, and the language of colour, before card meanings. The foreword is by Robert Place.

Some cards, back

The cards are about the same size as Golden and come in the equally tight cardboard tuck box. I swear I dented that flap as soon as I tugged it open. They really need a new method.

You'll first notice the stain patterns, a nice greyish-brown. The colour fades don't quite match the Madenie 1709 deck (compare the Queen of Cups on the AT profile page). The backs are different as well, borderless floral design.

In all I quite like it, but I have less experience with Madenie. Collectors and lovers of Marsies will probably like this one, but for its size. Golden's size was more appropriate for Visconti's deck.

Aeric, thanks for the thorough review. I would have been very much enabled by it, had I not preordered the deck already... ;)

I agree that the size is perhaps not ideal. It suited the Visconti very well, but it is probably too much for the Madenie.

So there is no cloth included in the set this time???

Was there a cloth in the Golden kit? I can't remember. My memory is notoriously unreliable one way or the other, but perhaps it just wasn't very memorable --like those horrid organza bags they include sometimes in Tarot kits....

MissChiff

A Small purple one...