The tarot and christianity

Water Lady

not for me

chrisstavrous

Christians use the bible the same as tarot readers use their cards. They read what they see and walk in it's interpretation.

RavenDarkWind

I actually had a conversation through twitter with an Evangelical Christian. Because I'm an eclectic pagan with a tendency towards scientific rationalism, I was worried that it would be tense. To my surprise, she seemed very interested in Tarot, asking serious questions about it, and ended up learning a bit about Kabbalah. So, I'd have to say yes.

EyeAmEye

Christianity states that anyone can be saved if they truly accept Jesus as their savior. He was afterall, sacrificed by his father for the sins of mankind. In that case, it doesn't matter if you practice divination because the overriding rule of Christianity is accepting Jesus as your savior.

As a child in "religious instruction", I asked about this and was basically told to shut up...

From my understanding of all this, accepting Jesus as your savior is the biblical version of Monopoly's "Get Out of Jail Free" card, but perhaps I am wrong. That renders all rules (except Jesus as your savior) in the bible more as guidelines than law.

In the end, "...divine as thou will..." - tarot is not "against" Christianity.

The above is not meant to offend anyone, so apologies in advance if it does. Just being humorous about a subject that has perplexed me my entire life and still does.

Morwenna

I can speak for a number of people who grew up Catholc yet held onto (or their parents did) the old country's folkways, one of the main ones being divination. My French Canadian Catholic grandmother was a reader of playing cards.

A lot depends on your own spiritual community. Many people are devout, yet take pronouncements from church authorities with a grain of salt.

And Tarot is indeed full of Christian imagery. Look at the Rider Waite Smith's Ace of Cups: if that's not Christian, what is?? :)

EyeAmEye

I would caution those that have pointed out the symbolism of tarot as validation that it isn't against Christianity. The use of the symbolism does not inherently validate it.

It becomes apparent when researching conspiracies, cults and the like that symbolism can often be used as a perversion of a belief, so it is possible the Christian symbolism is used in this way for tarot. I do not personally belief this is the case, but would not absolutely dismiss it either.

donnalee

I know a ton of people of Catholic background who get very superstitious about saints etc., and use tarot--and I think that santeria is considered a version of Christianity since it prays to saints and all, and there is a ton of tarot and divination in that as far as the folks I know who do it--I would say that each person has to figure out how it fits in his or her faith or doesn't. My partner the Torah scholar is interested in tarot, and that's the first five book of the bible--there's overlap there.

Alpha-Omega

I explore this issue in my book that will be published by Schiffer. There is a way the tarot and being christian is compatible. Hint, it has to do with the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

bessiedunlop

There's the Christian thought and there's the clergy. Also, I think one should be very careful and distinguish from what comes from the Old testament, which is based on the Hebrew tradition, and the New one, Ellenic in its influences and creation, the real root of Christianity.
Of course in the tarot you've got either the Kabbalah and Christian esoterism.

Anyway the Golden Dawn itself used Christian symbols, dealing with the image of an inner Christ and with the sacrificial, esoteric aspect of his figure.
Regarding the cards themselves, you've got plenty of Christian elements. One for all: The World, where the Virgin is surrounded by the symbols of the four evangelists: the angel, the lion, the bull and the eagle (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). Or the Hanged Man that relates to the sacrifice of the god, from Odin to Christ.
And of course you've got the Pope/ Hierophant...
But mainly, it is a problem of how you live your Christianity (Protestant, Catholic, whatever)- if you're a Christian - and the relation with the clergy. Many people call themselves Christians and are full of fears, intolerance and no compassion at all.