Keeping an Inventory

nisaba

There are a few decks it doesn't have, but for the most part, the online Tarot Garden collection list is quite nice. And when I buy decks from there, all I do is click the link to add it to my collection list and it does it just easy as pie!

You can also manually enter decks you buy elsewhere. When you do, though, it will put a zero value on them unless you manually enter the cost - with their own purchases, they will enter the figure you paid.

nisaba

Just been to check it out "Server busy, try again in 15 minutes"....

That is their software's one bug ... er, "unadvertised bonus feature".

The thing that cures that is logging out, closing your browser, opening it again, going to TG and logging back in, then going to the page. Cures it every time.

Chiska

You can also manually enter decks you buy elsewhere. When you do, though, it will put a zero value on them unless you manually enter the cost - with their own purchases, they will enter the figure you paid.

Oh, yes, that I know. But the problem is that if it isn't in their database, then you can't list it. Like the Whispering Tarot, or A King's Journey. Unless I am completely missing something.

But I primarily use the standalone Tarot Garden Organizer - it is pretty nifty.

AJ

simple alphabetized Word document.

One printed out on which I note if any are out the door, or in the door, and when I used them on my blog. About twice a year I update the list on the computer and print out a new one.

It is even easier now that I'm pretty much finished adding or eliminating decks...I only bought 2 or 3 this year, and I've only moved 3 to my sale/trade list.

storage is similar now that I think of it. Boxed sets are on the shelves, alphabetized, deck onlys are in the drawer alphabetized.

VGimlet

I was going to get that tarot organizer from TG for years and haven't yet. Might be easier than building my own database. I like the idea of Evernotes, too.

The list I had in the back of my journal was pretty basic, one line per deck. The new journal is a little more detailed. But I still kind of think I want something to keep all the info, including my review and if I would replace it if it strayed would be cool. Don't know if I will ever be that ambitions, that's a lot of data entry, even for someone who types pretty fast.

I keep track of the cost and collectibility for insurance purposes. Although I probably should someday do a rider, just because (Me: "Ken, the Tarot of Slugs is going for a ridiculous amount on E-bay, and I bought it for 5 bucks!" Ken: "Yeah, and are you going to sell it?" Me: "Er...no..."

And then there's tracking it down when I want to use it. Although I have to say, I can pretty much put a hand on any of my decks in just a minute or so, even though they aren't in much order in the china hutch.

Strange2

I keep an inventory of my decks in a spreadsheet, with the master on my computer and a copy on Google Docs (which is free). The info I note for each deck include:

Deck Name, Publisher, Year Published, Country/City Printed, ISBN, Height, Width, # of Cards, Minor Style, Condition, Cost, Date Acquired, Artist, Author (of Book / Booklet), # of Pages, Miscellaneous Notes

rwcarter

I've made a few changes to what I posted here over 2 years ago. I did add ISBN-10 and ISBN-13 in addition to country in which the deck was printed, the printing and edition info. I've got to fine tune my categories, especially where Rider Waite and TdM styles are concerned. As I've just moved and am in the process of putting my whole collection into a new space, I'll be going over the books and decks and filling in the gaps in my spreadsheet over the next month or so.

cSpaceDiva

Came here looking for suggestions. I used to really be on top of managing my collection using the Tarot Organizer sold by Tarot Garden. Problem was it became obsolete when I bought a new computer a few years back. I never really found a suitable replacement and I haven't been keeping any record of the decks I've received since then. I'm not collecting nearly as much as I used to, so it hasn't been a huge problem, but I'm still adding a few new decks each year and I feel like it's starting to get away from me.

I have considered using a spreadsheet, but I guess I've grown accustomed to the TG interface. I especially liked having a few pictures from each deck at my fingertips rather than digging out the actual cards.

Anyway, I think I have found a suitable replacement, an app called 'Book Manager, Collector, Organizer & Inventory Database for iPad' (long name!). Obviously it's geared toward book collectors, so it's not a perfect fit for tarot, but seems like it will do the job with just a few limitations. A very handy feature is that you can add decks/books by scanning the ISBN with your camera and lots of the publishing info is auto-filled. That doesn't always work so you can also add manually if it doesn't have an ISBN or it isn't in the database.

The field names are predetermined and cannot be changed, but they include:
Story Details
Title
Author
Publisher
Binding
Synopsis--Reasonably large text box to put whatever you want, description of deck, etc.
Genre
Series--which I am using to designate Majors Only, Oracle, Mini Deck, Deck/Book Set, etc.
Edition
Number of Pages
Number of Chapters--using this for # of cards

Book Details
Country
Place of Printing
Publication Date
Photos By--I am using this for artist/illustrator since it doesn't currently have a dedicated field for that
Number of Copies
Editor
Language
Publisher Location
Special Edition--can select yes/no, I'm using this to flag my Limited Edition decks

Personal
Loaned To
Purchase Price
Purchase Date
Personal Rating
Storage Location
Custom--Here I am stating which # deck I have for my Limited Editions and if my deck or book are autographed

+ a few more that I don't really find useful.

There are also fields for front image and back image, but thus far I have not been able to get the back image to save. Still, one image is better than none!

You can sort or filter by any field. You can also display an image grid and find your deck from the photos (I am visual person like so many other tarot enthusiasts.) The info is stored in the cloud and can be accessed from computer or device, but can also be exported to create back ups or hard copies. There is also a wish list feature.

There is a free version of the app, but it doesn't allow you to edit, so it didn't take long for me to step up to the $6 to unlock the "pro" features.

Anyone still with me? I know this was a long post. I guess I got excited. :D What new tools are you using for tracking and managing your collection?

Lokismile

Mine method is fairly minimal: I note pertinent info on Aeclectic list (this is a work in progress) and then simply cut and paste it, save, then print as a hardcopy.

later perhaps I will go into more depth but for now I know what i need to know and can speak to it when sharing with others.

I do have a "thing" for logging and lists, however, any archivist activities, so it is a pleasure to read some of the responses here.

Sumada

I'm using AZZ Cardfile, a niffty little program for Windows PCs.
No predefined fields, so I can format things to suit myself within reason, including images and hyperlinks. It has a searchable index with sub catagories that you create if you want to go that way, or make totally separate files to keep things organised. I've got three files so far, each with sub catagories - one for tarot, one for oracles and one for books.
But my favorite feature is that I can keep the whole thing, program and data on a USB stick and use it on any Windows machine anywhere! The program does not need to be installed on the computer - it just runs directly from the stick.
I move around a lot, so it's perfect for me :)
www.azzcardfile.com
I'm also experimenting with the Memento database for Android, but that's another story