clearing thoughts

Farzon

I really like that Farzon

and Alta, this is becoming more and more clear to me.

It's a way of a Zen-meditation. Try this just sitting there, letting your thoughts flow in silence... It somehow restores inner peace. And it helps me to get that distance to my personal opinion, which Grizabella described (and I read mostly for myself)

Still puzzled about grounding, though.

nisaba

Question: what and why is grounding?

Centring is focussing on your inner self. Grounding is pulling yourself back into full awareness of your body - stopping you from being all "floaty". Simple ways to ground: eat food, pinch yourself, stamp your feet on the ground, be cold enough to need to shiver. All great and very simple grounding methods. I grounded when I cooked for myself today, when a drop of something very hot splashed on my wrist. I wasn't actually ungrounded (floaty) at the time, but if I had been, that would have grounded me in a millisecond!

Water Lady

I have no problem with clearing my mind or focus now, it was in the past.....going through some bad life stuff. I did not have the learning I have now.

but it has given me the understanding of how others might be in a space that focus or just life can be difficult

Farzon

Centring is focussing on your inner self. Grounding is pulling yourself back into full awareness of your body - stopping you from being all "floaty". Simple ways to ground: eat food, pinch yourself, stamp your feet on the ground, be cold enough to need to shiver. All great and very simple grounding methods. I grounded when I cooked for myself today, when a drop of something very hot splashed on my wrist. I wasn't actually ungrounded (floaty) at the time, but if I had been, that would have grounded me in a millisecond!

Thanks! That clears up everything.
In fact, a Zen-meditation would be in this category, too. Because it aims at print you into full awareness of here and now.

Inchantress

I do think your focus and state of mind is important and reflected in the readings. That being said I don't always do a clearing or grounding of my own energy before hand. In fact I rarely do intentional grounding, something I could probably stand more of lol.

Sometimes I will use the cards at my alter, in which case I do always do a ritual with candles, prayer, incense, sage, etc. with intentional clearing on myself. (usually) always clear the cards themselves prior to reading with at least tapping, sometimes other rituals - usually with things like crystals, the four elements, sun and moon baths, etc. - so lots of different things I do and just go with what feels right in the moment.

Often times, however - I'm reading cards at my desk in between working and just stealing little moments, usually still have candles and/or crystals around but otherwise there's cards sitting in the desk which I pull at random moments, hectic moments, if i feel anxious, etc - with no grounding or clearing. I do find that I get relevant and good answers with this method as well so it would seem that the special rituals or clearings aren't necessary. I think it's probably mostly about the intention behind what you do, what helps you to feel most connected and/or right for you, and for some people an extensive ritual helps them do that, for others I think it can just be a split second decision.

fairylights

I like to feel clean before doing a reading. So ... washing my hands and face and maybe brushing my teeth help me get there. Physical things like that help me get in the zone mentally and emotionally.

Inchantress

I like to feel clean before doing a reading. So ... washing my hands and face and maybe brushing my teeth help me get there. Physical things like that help me get in the zone mentally and emotionally.

Washing your hands and face is a great one! Running water is awesome for clearing energy!

Farzon

^ this. It is also a way of showing respect towards the act of reading and your cards.

donnalee

I shuffle briefly before I hand the deck to the client. That's all I need. Basically, as soon as I sit at the table with an intention to do a reading, my own Self and all my emotions or issues go away, and I'm just a reader.

This is true for me: the reading isn't about ME, but about the person I am reading for. It's like being a translator for someone. I have seen many Tibetan Buddhist teachings where the translator is superb, non-personal, efficient, and that helps all listening because the right information is conveyed without drama or confusion. I have also seen a few who tried to put their own rubbish in there, expounding on things incorrectly to inflate their egos, and one guy even told us his birthday was the next day, a few times in the course of a teaching by an excellent lama. That is a useless translator, and to me, the tarot counterpart of that would be useless too, or even do harm.

Water Lady

the consensus so far is do something, even if it is mental work, interesting as that was not what I was picking up from reading sites.