My deck is mad at me!

Malophile

So I am new to tarot and I am learning the meanings right now, but I bought a new deck that I felt drawn to (Mystic Dreamer) and I am connecting well with it, even though the art work is typically digital, it is a tad busy. Still, I really admire the cards.

I am connecting well, as I said up there, but I am in a bit of a stir. I asked my deck some questions about its self, and it's very open. Loves to tell me how it feels clear as day. Anyway, I asked it if I bought another deck, would it be mad at me... I drew the 5 of Cups. I guess overall, it wants to be a sole deck, demanding my full use. But the 5 of Cups I come to believe means "dwelling on the negative, self-pity". Is my deck telling me that it will be sad because it couldn't draw me in completely?

Ahhh, how new I am to tarot and this deck has already drawn my full attention.

DownUnderNZer

So does your front door stress out if you forget to lock it or your car gets jealous if you let someone sit in the front passenger seat?

Cards are a tool...not human. :)

Malophile

Hmmm you have a good point. Cards are spiritual though, and all decks have personality.

ravenest

Sure do !

The personality that you give them, that is ;)

Grizabella

ravenest is right. Welcome to AT, by the way. But your cards don't have a spirit, either. You have a spirit and sometimes you can use your deck as a spiritual tool, but there's no spirit in the cards or around the cards. They're just cards. That's a fact. Just learn meanings and learn how to read the messages they have for you, but they don't get mad or jealous or lonely.

Zephyros

Let's put this to rest, that decks have personality. They don't. What they do have is "tone," similar to the tone a book has. Although used differently, the term is apt for both. It may seem as if they're sentient, but they're really not. I'm sure no one would blame the oven for being angry when the roast is burned. Tarot cards are not "spiritual," they have spiritual uses, which is very different. My cellphone also has spiritual uses, that doesn't mean I treat it as a living thing.

Malophile

Well as I said, I am new. I have learnt a lesson today and I thank each one of you for your input in helping me on my tarot journey! I do understand now that they are just a tool to help guide you.

Glennmaicha

Welcome to AT!

I'm pretty sure my existing decks roll their (figurative) eyes whenever I browse Amazon, Etsy, Indigo, etc for a new deck. The more the merrier! (But I'll slow down soon, I swear.)

The way I see it is that adding new "personalities" to your arsenal of decks can be very beneficial. Different decks read differently, and whether you're reading just for yourself or for others, having a choice of decks can really personalize the reading and alter the tone. Some decks are more severe, some are softer and kinder.

As for the 5 of Cups you drew... It's the "spilled milk" card, as cliche as that sounds. Perhaps it's telling you that you're making a bigger deal out of it than you need to. I understand all too well the feeling of giving inanimate objects personalities and treating them like little entities. I'm guilty of it. But it's still important to remember that the cards are the channel between you and the insight they deliver. Getting another deck would simply make it a more versatile experience!

(Incidentally, do you have a specific deck in mind? New decks are so exciting.)

CrystalSun

ravenest is right. Welcome to AT, by the way. But your cards don't have a spirit, either. You have a spirit and sometimes you can use your deck as a spiritual tool, but there's no spirit in the cards or around the cards. They're just cards. That's a fact. Just learn meanings and learn how to read the messages they have for you, but they don't get mad or jealous or lonely.

Sorry to disagree but cards aren't JUST cards. If you hold any facts, they are your facts and your facts only. Cards HAVE a spirit and a mind. I am a psychic too and believe me... unless you start treating them as they truly are you will never know and understand the TRUE purpose of tarot.

CrystalSun

So I am new to tarot and I am learning the meanings right now, but I bought a new deck that I felt drawn to (Mystic Dreamer) and I am connecting well with it, even though the art work is typically digital, it is a tad busy. Still, I really admire the cards.

I am connecting well, as I said up there, but I am in a bit of a stir. I asked my deck some questions about its self, and it's very open. Loves to tell me how it feels clear as day. Anyway, I asked it if I bought another deck, would it be mad at me... I drew the 5 of Cups. I guess overall, it wants to be a sole deck, demanding my full use. But the 5 of Cups I come to believe means "dwelling on the negative, self-pity". Is my deck telling me that it will be sad because it couldn't draw me in completely?

Ahhh, how new I am to tarot and this deck has already drawn my full attention.

No. It's about YOU here. The cards already sensed your energy and there is something negative about it that must be corrected. If you feel negative and feel sorry for yourself, the moment you ask the cards about themselves in regards of your connection with them, you will receive this kind of answers. Remember: the cards don't lie and are never wrong. If you ask for help, you will receive it.