Which deck has your favorite Moon card?

Babalon Jones

I really like the feel of the between, and depths of the soul, the line between awake and asleep, genius and madness that is shown by the symbolism on the old traditional Moon cards (and for that matter the RWS & Thoth too) (the ones with scarab or crab, water, wolves, dogs, "dew", tower portal path, etc)

But some Moon cards, while very beautiful, do not have that haunting quality. While I agree lunar energy is beautiful, I also like a little edge of madness on it, if you know what I mean. The ones that are just pretty alone don't appeal as much to me.

What is your favorite Moon card and why? And, do you know of one that is both beautiful AND has that hypnotic lunatic quality too?

minrice

I think the Moon card of the Lasenic (Lasenikuv) tarot is one of the most frighteningly beautiful Moon cards I've seen. It's beautiful, but it's like you can hear the screams in the background.

I agree with you about the moon Babalon, for me as well the Moon has that element of lonliness, fear, and even hell to it (making it the other face/side of the sun) that the Moon card for me can't just be "pretty" either.

Here is the Lasenic Moon!

Attachments

• Lmoon.jpg
    Lmoon.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 424

Babalon Jones

Oooooooo...I like it! Now I have to go look at the rest of that deck...

Babalon Jones

I like your choice - and the deck as well. Hmmm, this thread is enabling me, lol!

tarotcognito

Mine is the Moon from Corsi's Pictorial Key to the Tarot. Rather than the standard scorpion emerging from the water, it pictures the head of a fierce-looking Kraken, its enormous jaw wide open. To me it depicts the watching demon lurking under the surface in a vivid way like no other Moon card I've seen to date.

nisaba

Babalon Jones said:
But some Moon cards, while very beautiful, do not have that haunting quality. While I agree lunar energy is beautiful, I also like a little edge of madness on it, if you know what I mean. The ones that are just pretty alone don't appeal as much to me.

What is your favorite Moon card and why? And, do you know of one that is both beautiful AND has that hypnotic lunatic quality too?
I have a sneaking preference for the Moon card from the Golden Klimt deck. It doesn't have the Towers, the lobster or the canines. It has a sleeping nude woman, one of the very few ones with a healthy-looking body in the deck, curled up in a foetal position in a crescent-shaped swirl of stars. Fabulous image. And yes, all about madness.

OctoberGwen

Ah, you described the Moon card so well, Babalon Jones! The Moon is one of my favorite cards in the deck; if I don't resonate with a deck's Moon it generally won't come and live with me.

I think the Bohemian Gothic's Moon has that perfect blend of beauty and lunacy you describe: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/_img/bohemian-gothic-06435.jpg

Babalon Jones

couldn't find the corsi moon, but sounds interesting. I had to look up "kraken" - like the sound of it! If you have a picture please post!

the golden klimt moon I found a picture of. beautiful and captures the mood as well. and since the woman is Danae, the mythology of being tossed into the sea is pretty cool!

all awesome moons so far. I'm impressed - this board is great!

Babalon Jones

OctoberGwen, cross-posted with you. Yes, that one is haunting, and the howling wolf is perfect :)