Most accurate deck you've used?

CelestialHorse

Ah I see :)

Heh Vanessa makes me think of my fav. singer Vanessa Carlton but I digress...

I wonder if people made tarot cards based on fav. celebrities?

EricthoDeSalamander

I agree with Chiriku and Thunderwolf, that "accuracy" isn't really the correct term. I agree that "resonance" is a better word.

Considering the decks that I've used quite a bit in the past, I would say that I've had very good readings with the Deviant Moon, because I feel that's one of the decks that I "resonate" with the best. I find the imagery to be appealing, and I feel that the deck is chock full of easily recognizable symbols to pull from.

And like many others have said, how well you resonate with a deck makes for better "readings". :)

Winterchild

Accurate?

I guess when reading for oneself it is hard to say what is accurate... unless you are reading about a past event. I have found that when reading for others, the deck I feel most drawn to for that reading at the time is usually very accurate indeed.

Sometimes the best deck doesn't show itself right away, and I may feel ready to do a reading but no deck becomes apparent...so I wait until it does....!! If I keep the reading in my subconscious then it doesn't usually take more than a day or two.

I have never read at shows etc, for one person after another with a particular deck, so am no help there!

I think I would say some decks I have more affinity with and can communicate with easier than others though, but everything changes.

Annabelle

In the same vein as what others have said, I don't think of decks in terms of accuracy, though there are certain decks with which I tend to have more accurate readings -- because I really relate to / resonate to the images and symbols and art style of those decks.

The deck with which I have the most accurate, clear readings is, without doubt, the Legacy of the Divine.

I get clear readings with these decks, too:

Steampunk (Barbara Moore)
Gaian
Tarot of Trees
Witches (the new one from Ellen Dugan, which I only just received recently but have already fallen in love with)

And I do "okay" with:

RWS or close variants
Alchemical (Robert Place)

Myrrha

I would agree with the posters who substitute words like "clear, insightful, useful" for "accurate" since I don't read predictively.

It is certain reading methods more than certain decks that give me useful readings. Up to now my most useful and helpful readings have been using RWS based decks like the Fenestra or the Pictorial Key and using something similar to Robert Place's reading method where cards are read in groups of three, in relation to each other like a comic strip.

Up to now it has been pretty much the traditional meanings that have been useful with the intuitive part coming in with how the cards relate to each other and to my question. When I follow the advice given and things turn out well I figure it was an accurate reading, or if I change my thinking in a certain way as a result of the reading and things go better as a result then it was an accurate reading. I'm interested in exploring methods where the picture is used more as a jumping off point for intuition.

shadowomyn

I've really clicked with the Housewives, the Morgan Greer, and the Sacred Rose tarot decks. (I also love the Tea Leaf oracle.)

sulischild

My Papus deck has always been accurate for me. Almost too much so, sometimes - she's rather blunt and doesn't pull punches, so if I'm just being lazy/self pitying/deluded, I'll get told.

CelestialHorse

LOL interesting how cards have their own personality. I think my cards seem to get annoyed if I ask the same question in a short period of time, like REALLY short. I think annoyed in a way they will confuse me with answers so I think the cards are probably saying, "Oh okay you don't believe my first answer, here I will give you the total opposite!" lol

hunter

I think we need to figure out which language WE are currently speaking, and pick a deck that speaks THAT language.

The languages I usually speak, tend to be different than those spoken by most people here. My deck choices often won't be applicable for many here, and vice versa. Most people who are as crazy as I am, can't manage to keep an internet connection long enough to post here. LOL.

So, first know yourself, before looking for a deck that speaks YOUR language.

pandan49

I would always advise a person to choose their deck by what art appeals to you because we all have different tastes in art, so if you like the deck, that opens the way for you to get more familiar with it and see more into it. By that I mean that if you enjoy looking at it, you notice many things about the design, the details, the expressions, etc. If you think a deck is ugly you don't even want to look at it much. When you like a deck you notice that the art really speaks to you and helps you give more fluid readings, more insightful readings.

Since I have a large collection, I enjoy using different decks at different times, although I have a few that I go to most often. I find that readings are influenced by whether one deck's art is very romantic looking or whether another deck is more abstract, or whimsical, grotesque or another is more blunt. They do influence what words come to mind, which of course then, affects the way I present the reading.

Some decks are such obvious RWS clones that even with different art, you have no trouble interpreting, but other decks are so radically different in their design that they demand to be handled differently.

There is not one best deck, but there are better decks for each person, depending on taste.

I am a professional reader, and I place several decks on my table and let people choose which one they want their readings with. I have noticed some surprising things.

This past weekend, I read at the Witches Ball and one of the choices was Deviant Moon. It did not get picked once. Tarot of Dreams got picked most of the time.

Yet at other metaphysical fairs Deviant Moon may get picked more frequently as well as Victorian Romantic and Old Path. Tarot of the Stars seems to get a lot of action some days and none on others. I take different decks out to play all the time and it is surprising sometimes what people pick.