OSHO Zen Study Group: The Fool

squeakmo9

paradoxx said:
Becasue this deck is so vivid and unique, and yet so Tarot as inspired by the Rider Waite deck, I would like to directly compare the osho zen tarot to the rider waite imagry, if this is unwelcome then let me know so i can remove my post(s) therof.

starting with the fool, the imagry is very much the same, a man on a high cliff (represnting the mind) holding a flower. Wherea st he RW fool may or may not walk off that cliff, perhaps he is there looking at the view, the Osho Zen tarot has taken it to the next level and has the fool stepping off the cliff. The RW fool is still making the decision, the Osho Zen fool has made the decision.

another observation is that it is night in Osho and day in RWS. The RWS Fool seems ego-driven(to me), if he does crash it may be related to not being able to get out of his own way. He's got baggage and a companion.

Osho Fool seems to be more in touch with his emotional life. Even aware of possibilities of subconscious dialogue, sees dreams as information. No baggage, no companion, very much has let go of a material portion of himself, no shoe appears on right leg.
The flowers have switched hands, from left to right, assertive in a different way, he knows what he is doing. There is a path for him to follow down below, the RWS Fool has no path, just a likely drop.

Armspt

This may seem a little wierd, but the mountains with snow at the distance seems to me to be floating on those clouds. I always see an association with turning one's thoughts into action. I associate the cloud with the element air, wich is related to the mind and thought. The mountains remind me of the element earth, the phisical world.

I don't know if it's a valid thought, but I see this card as the ability and liberty to take action on one's thoughts and, by that, has the freedom of performing his decisions.

Master_Margarita

squeakmo9 said:
another observation is that it is night in Osho and day in RWS. The RWS Fool seems ego-driven(to me), if he does crash it may be related to not being able to get out of his own way. He's got baggage and a companion.

Osho Fool seems to be more in touch with his emotional life. Even aware of possibilities of subconscious dialogue, sees dreams as information. No baggage, no companion, very much has let go of a material portion of himself, no shoe appears on right leg.
The flowers have switched hands, from left to right, assertive in a different way, he knows what he is doing. There is a path for him to follow down below, the RWS Fool has no path, just a likely drop.

I think these comments are very good. I love the rainbow harlequin pattern on the clothing of the Fool. Is that a rose or a lotus he is holding? And do you think that's a path down there? At first blush I thought it was a river, giving us all four elements symbolicly represented on this card.

This seems to me to be the most "traditional" of the majors in this deck. It even is titled "The Fool." Wasn't everything else renamed?

dayeus

bang on at the centre of the card in the snow there is a symbol of 3 with a cresent moon this symbol is of OM. it is an ancient indian symbol denoting primeveal sound from which all things emerged. it is the symbol of lord shiva in the hinduism and is often used in meditation. it is pronounced as home with a silent H.
thus it shows the begining of the deck from the OM as it is centre of the universe also the card suggest turn towards spirituality or religion

squeakmo9

Master_Margarita said:
Is that a rose or a lotus he is holding? And do you think that's a path down there? At first blush I thought it was a river, giving us all four elements symbolicly represented on this card.
This seems to me to be the most "traditional" of the majors in this deck. It even is titled "The Fool." Wasn't everything else renamed?
Your absolutely right...it certainly does look like a river, not sure why I said "path". As for the flower, I do not know. Your comment, Master_Margarita, gave me great thought, and a fresh look. I really love how you saw all four elements represented in this card, just wonderful!

tearingmascara

To me, The Fool is often unattainable because I'm a very cautious, controlling and worried person. I have noticed that people who often get this card do not even realize that they are falling.

It usually signifies a new job/ a new crush/ generally new feelings and experiences just waiting for the person to jump into. But it also comes with a warning, sometimes being new can mean being taken advantage of and though Osho encourages the foolish mindset, I sometimes choose to warn people about the situation if the surrounding cards call for it.

Gypsyspell

Hi I finally bought the osho deck after much umming and ahhing.(i think the cards are very beautiful) I have been reading through alot of the notes and trying to familiarise myself with the cards. To me this fool represents joy in the moment i remember the fool being refered to as one of true innocence who connects completely with the now-nirvana--I dont know where this as many other references i make comes from originally but this is my impression of him .
Nirvana as in living in the now -experiencing the joy of the moment.
What others may see as reckless

Sanctum_Priest

I find the book has two really useful insights:

"Don't try to create a wall of knowledge around you"

"Even if you are cheated and deceived and robbed, let it happen, because that which is really yours cannot be robbed from you..."