OSHO Zen Study Group:XIII Transformation

Indigo Rose

"The central figure in this cards sits atop the vast flower of the void, and holds the symbol of transformation-the sword that cuts through illusion, the snake that rejuvenates itself by shedding its skin, the broken chain of limitations, and the yin/yang symbol of transcending duality. On of its hands rests on its lap, open and receptive. The other reaches down to touch the mouth of a sleeping face, symbolizing the silence that comes when we are at rest.Osho Zen Tarot, by Osho

The face in the clouds speaks to me of the "old self"...the one who dies and is reborn. This if further communicated by the amazing image of a Phoenix rising from the flames above the soul figure's head. Quite a beautiful death card, in my opinion.

pleroma

I love that this card seems so explicit on the nature of death as transformative and rejuvenative. The translucency of the figures indicates for me the spiritual dimensions of transformation, this is cyclical evolution and true growth, not any kind of literal death.

Judith D

I absolutely agree with you both on the beauty of this as a 'death' card. Definitely transformative as an idea of transition from one thing to another, rather than just the idea of an ending.
My first thoughts were of the hand positions - it is said that enlightenment came to the buddha as he touched one hand to the ground, the other hand palm up in his lap, and I love the thought of that hand touching the mouth of a sleeping human - true awakening. Let go, relax, give up what you think you are and let the transformation take over, and a new you will arise as the phoenix from the ashes of your old self.

squeakmo9

Yes, indeed, change is coming whether you flow with it or not. Better to flow, lol!
At times it is difficult for me to understand how things will work out, and in the past, I tried to manipulate those results, or the manner inwhich the change will express themselves.
I once had friend say, when she was on the cusp of changing jobs from one company to another...
"I'm not comfortable with this change, because I didn't make it happen"
Well, duh!
Change isn't always pleasant, but I could see how this change would be great for her, more money, less of a commute, and yet she opposed it, because it wasn't her idea to begin with.
The status quo can be so nice, living in my own comfort zone, yummy. Unfortunately what I think is good for me, isn't always the case. Again, there enters a need to trust Univeral energies.
All things go...all things change...all things (including people) get stuck, and need real help moving along, if not from within, then without.

firecatpickles

I like this card. It is truly a beautiful Death card. Notice how the stars are below the figure, as if to tell me that something else is out there besides just "space."

Master_Margarita

This deck just continues to defy my attempts to stereotype it.

Given how in-your-face some of the cards seem, I was expecting this card to be very much about physical death. The Death card in my Buddha Tarot deck, which share somes personality traits with this deck, is called "The Corpse" and is as grim as you might think.

But this card is absolutely lyrical and speaks of transformation not just by its keyword, but in every line, image, and jolt of color. I love the indigo in the sky.

I don't know if the phoenix is only a Western symbol of reincarnation or not. That's something I could look up.

Sanctum_Priest

Zen is the anti-religion and yet so much more positive than simple atheism:
"Zen is not a believer's world. It is not for the faithful ones; it is for those daring souls who can drop all belief, unbelief, doubt, reason, mind, and simply enter into their pure existence without boundaries."

Dustydew

Its such an old thread, but here I am

Totally mesmerized with this card. It makes death seem so profound and beautiful, as much a part of the whole as life itself. All posts are great, I have been reading posts for all cards of Osho Zen Tarot in this group, and really loved the insights and impressions of everyone for all cards. This is a great experience!!

bluecaffeine

Interesting card indeed. The person on this card is black, maybe a symbol for the black/dark soul which can be transformed to sth brighter. The nature around is brighter and can survive without persons.