OshoZen Knight of Water (Cups)

Judith D

Alan writes: 'I think we should trust in our ability to make a difference in the world, to bring benefit to other living beings and the Universe. That is what I feel should spur us to do whatever we can to alleviate suffering.'

And that Alan, is an essence of the buddhist teaching, isn't it. The Dalai Lama said that the purpose of life is to be happy - and the best way to get there is to bring happiness to others. It really is not enough to attend to our own needs, whether they are physical, mental or spiritual, without spreading it around in whichever way we are able. The 'needs' discussed here are pretty often things we very actively DO NOT want, although hindsight may in fact tell us they were good and necessary.

firecatpickles

This card & the conversation seems to be centering on "what the universe provides in terms of needs." Isn't that a type a trust --out own personal belief systems? I think the universe provides what we "need," yes, even if we "need" to learn a spiritual lesson in this life through mental or physical or spiritual suffering.

The only way to remove these kinds of sufferings is to abscond ourselves with a feeling of "want." When attainment is no longer the goal, there can be no disappointment or pain.

And this is a knight, isn't it? Knights are always in movement. But also at the same time fixed. So too must our trust change, yet remain steadfast. Trusting that there is something meant for us around each corner, even if this means meeting unpleasantness.

Master_Margarita

I think needs versus wants have already been discussed quite eloquently on this thread, and I'm not sure I can add anything other than my favorite quote by Shantideva, "Circumstances are always neutral." I agree with Alan Ross that the Universe will always provide what is needed in the moment for our spiritual growth.

I was struck very strongly when I looked at this card by something that I am surprised no one has mentioned yet. I think this card is the clear visual "next step" after the Two of Clouds, Schizophrenia. The figure in the previous card has now let go and is sailing, with Knightlike-abandon, into...something immense. (I can also contrast this to the soaring figures in the Five of Fire card, but I think I'll save that for later.)

I do wonder, though. Where's the water in this card? Is it underneath those rose petals the commentary teases us with?