Satanic Deck

Emily

Hi Ryan_A,

If this first run of your deck proves successful are you thinking of offering it out to any of the major deck publishers - maybe at mainstream prices? - Or are you keeping it as a limited self-published deck.

Centaur

I agree with Emily. I think it might be an idea to make it more readily available, and perhaps then you might sell a substantial amount?

Centaur

Macavity

Sinister is (or was!) in quite common usage and is direct from Latin, meaning "left hand". It is used e.g. in Heraldry with literal meaning - things sit on the left side of a shields or patterns flow in a contrary direction (to "normal") etc. But, from the earliest times e.g. wo/men shook hand with their right hand - To do otherwise would infer lack of openness or treacherous intent? LEFT simply became associated with the unusual - thus "the left hand path" etc. ;)

Macavity

Ryan

Emily,

Not yet.

Do you think perhaps they would be more amenable if I lowered the price, say, two-thirds to $400?

As yet the Naos Deck will remain entirely under my distribution.

I have ten cards to go.

Ra.

Ryan

PS

It's a shame I do not have a scanner. The Major Arcana were the first cards drawn, in a style I am not accustomed to and as steep learning curve -

The Minor Arcana followed suit with all the experience of drawing the Major Arcana under my belt as it were - and were thus 'superior' in terms of what I had then learned about drawing bodies, and techniques using the gouche paint -

The Aces and "?" are quite surreal.

The "Court Cards" exhibit a pronounced understanding of all these lessons learned during the last year and a half of painting, including experiemnts with shading, light, perspective, colour, dimension etc...

or in other words, my art and painting have improved as I have laboured onward - thus, as i said, its a shame i do not have a scanner to show examples of the Minor or Ccard sections.

Nevertheless - whether they sell in large numbers or small numbers isnt the point - the point was to create my own sinister tarot - this i have done. I've three books to release - whatever finances arise from tarot - will be sufficient.

Ra.

Ryan

Uploaded to Naos Project

I've uploaded the finished pencil sketches of the first 2 cards for each dark sphere, to the naos site - they were scanned before I lost the scanner, and well before I started painting them - but it well serves to demonstrate the difference between the Major and Minor Arcana.

I've also uploaded three other cards, Mercury VI, Venus V, and Sol VI.

These are not the finished cards themselves - the pencilling served as a texture provider for painting templates,

the finished cards are painted according to the colours of the sinister tradition - and luna II say, is tranformed into something else altogether with the additions of purple, crimson, silver, black and flesh tones,

A Sinister Tarot Card.

Regards,
Ra.

Ryan

technical difficulties.

sorry.

will fix.

Ra.

dolphingirl

What I am wondering is, what makes this deck so much more "sinister" than other darker decks? I mean the Vertigo and some of the gothic decks have a darker art style than this one IMHO.

My other thoughs were what do you get extra for the limited $1,000 deck as opposed to getting it later at the "a full 65 card Naos Deck Sinister Tarot will be made available for a few hundred dollars shortly after the LE's have been sold." Why spend $1.000 if the deck is going to be released later for a couple hundred dollars? Does the $1,000 deck include anything extra.

"The NAOS DECK is the only complete Sinister / Satanic Tarot Deck made available to the public in the History of the World." Also with statements like this, has there been any research done before making this statement? Granted I am not a expert on "satanic tarot" but with alllllllll the decks out there I just am not sure I would believe that this is the first.

I was also a bit upset at the "If ever there was a genuine Pagan Tarot, this is it." as I guess I just really didn't agree with this statement as there are several other pagan tarot decks out there done by pagans that felt more in the spirit of paganism than this one.

While this deck won't apeal to everyone I do have to give you credit for trying to make back $$ for the time it took you to create this deck.

HudsonGray

Ryan, I'd say send an email over to Jeannette Roth at www.tarotgarden.com and ask her if she's aware of any satanic decks already published, her site has a couple thousand (?) different tarot in the database & she's probably personally seen just about any deck on the market in the last 10 years. If anyone would know if there was another out there, she would.

Emiac

I've had a peek at these smelly cards too...

And I think they're inspirationless, flat, boring, crp, ugly, & the person who wrote all of that stuff shouldn't even of have attempted to diss other decks, I dont see how you can find one that looks stupider than that.
To be honest,even my 8 year old brother could do better.

PS. (if the creater & his angry mob comes round, tell them I'm not at home)