FAQ - Tarot reading rituals - info please!

shiresun

starrystarrynight said:
Geeze, am I the only one who asks for positive protection (through brief meditation) before asking the cards to read for me or my querent well? Doing a small ritual like that tends to ground me--I hope (think) it makes me do a better job.

And then I thank the cards when I'm done...if I remember. At least I try to at the end of the day.

Reading through this thread gave me some good additions to my ritual which I know I'll use when working with Tarot. Since I've created certain rituals for years in my personal spiritual work, it will definitely extend to any readings and other other work I do with Tarot.

One of the few things I do whether it is a very detailed, long ceremony for a Sabbat or just a quick Reiki session is to ask my guides for love, guidance, healing and protection to encircle me as I work. I speak my intent, and continue from there. I've done it with my Oracle cards so I know I'll keep on doing it as I begin this journey.

Lokismile

I deeply breathe and exhale any stress, until my breath is a cloud of positive light. cast circle mentally while seated in posture, encircling with light clockwise and then extending connection to the Tao, or godhead, what have you. Absorb light and energy from the source while shuffling for several minutes, then proceed.

I use a different process for shadow work with the tarot.

Silver Crow

I have always smudged my deck prior to shuffling as well as light a candle, whichever color I associated with that deck. I also shuffle the cards eight times, because this is my birth number.

I have had people ask me not to smudge because they didn't like smoke and I either do it in another room or outside, but I REALLY like doing it in the room I'm going to read in since it helps clear the room as well.

Tarot Orat

My husband is allergic to many things and is sensitive to strong odors - or even weak odors, sometimes. So I don't do any smudging or incense or candles. I breathe to center myself, shuffle the cards seven times using several methods, and lay them out face-down. I think about the meaning of the spread position while holding each card before turning it over, and ask it to help me understand. I shuffle again after reading, but don't usually put the cards in order unless the reading was very intense and I feel the deck needs to be cleared. That's only if I read for myself; reading for others, I do re-order the deck afterwards.

I prefer to read by moonlight (if the moon is bright enough), or at least after dark. I'll shuffle and lay out the cards in the dark, then turn on the light to read them if necessary. I turn the light off after looking at the cards, and re-shuffle them in the dark. That's for when I can schedule a reading in advance; if something comes up during the day that I feel like I need to read about right away, I'll do it on the nearest flat surface that my spread cloth will fit on! Usually things can wait until dark, though, especially now that I've gotten used to reading then.

4lison

I like to light a candle (i'm just a huge candle person in general.) and ground myself. I shuffle the cards a few times and think about my question.
Usually I journal my readings for myself, so I write down the date, the question, and the spread. I also have to have a pretty clear space.
I use my desk which always gets cluttered with things so I have to clear that off.
I also have a playlist of mellow and slower songs I put on.

wheelie

I like to light scented candles, but the timing is not important. It could have been some time before the reading. It helps me but not very ritualistically.

I have a very specific way I shuffle seven times, too, with six overhand and one riffle, which grounds me--but I really don't believe the exact manner matters, except as consistency. It's the same thing with wrapping the decks in silk or using special bags or boxes. In my imagination, the decks like it, but in my mind I know it's a process that helps the reading. I know there's not a real one-to-one correspondence between my particular ritual and the experience, yet I believe it helps.

NightMagic628

I prefer to read when it's quiet and/or when I am alone. This is usually Sunday mornings and Wednesday afternoons.

I like to light a scented candle and spread my tarot cloth out. I like to drink a cup of tea also. It helps me to relax and focus.

barefootlife

I always say hi to my cards when taking them out of their bag/box. At the very beginning I'll overhand shuffle them four times, and then I have a shuffling ritual involving cutting the deck and riffling several different ways before riffling the whole thing back together. The process sort of gets my mind in the right place. Cards always get picked off the top of the pile and laid face up, and get put back in random places in the deck when I'm done reading. Jumpers always get added onto a reading. If I do multiple readings in a row (like in a post on here), I don't do the overhand shuffling again (except with one particularly picky deck that otherwise always seems to throw the same cards again and again), just the riffling. When I'm done, I thank my cards and put them away.

Rachx

From a neuroscience POV it's about settling the mind so that it drops into alpha - a kind of slow but aware brain wave state- maybe even theta which can be accessed by doing about half an hour breathworks or meditation. Also read cards when in the hypnopompic or hypnogogic state - difficult to do but these states are alpha and theta and help access unconscious xx

velvetina

I always kiss my deck :)