1968 reprint of Marseille Conver 1760

Ross G Caldwell

Azoth said:

I think so.

I don't have it, but many members (such as jmd) do.

It is a printing from the original plates, not a photo-facsimile (like every other historical tarot). Camoin says however that in coloring the cards, they followed the 19th century four-color scheme, rather than the 18th century colors.

I'd go for it, if I saw it and had the money, no question whatsoever.

Azoth

Ross G Caldwell said:
Camoin says however that in coloring the cards, they followed the 19th century four-color scheme, rather than the 18th century colors.
What is the 18th century colour scheme?

Fulgour

38,12€ ~ it seems nearly fortunate they don't have to charge more,
although I wonder, isn't it the same deck released by Thunder Bay?

firecatpickles

It would appear so, but the more $$ the more color, I suppose

KK
:TSTRE

Attachments

• marseille_conver_v_thunderbay.JPG
    marseille_conver_v_thunderbay.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 185

jmd

The deck is carefully produced and finished, and personally like the more cardboard stock than what has become standard for cards.

I do not recall how much I paid for it some years ago, but the prices mentioned seem far higher than they used to be.

Ross G Caldwell

[
Azoth said:
What is the 18th century colour scheme?

Printing in the 19th century began to use the four-colour CMYK (Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-BlacK) method for making colours, and Camoin says somewhere that the colours on the tarot cards were simplified then.

In pre-19th century cards, you can make out more colours - they were stenciled, or applied directly by hand (painted). Camoin considers the old colours to have "initiatory" value, and I think he says there are eight. He uses these values rigorously on his new deck with Jodorowsky.

But the 1968 "Bicentennial" deck uses the 19th century industrial colours (exactly like the colour scheme of the Paul Marteau "Tarot de Marseille").

Ross G Caldwell

Fulgour said:
38,12€ ~ it seems nearly fortunate they don't have to charge more,
although I wonder, isn't it the same deck released by Thunder Bay?

It is the same deck, and so is the Heron Conver.

The difference is that the Bicentennial deck Azoth is thinking of buying is printed directly from the 1760 original plates, by hand, while the Heron is a photo-facsimile and Thunder Bay is a facsimile as well.

The Camoin Bicentennial is not a facsimile of the Conver - it IS the Conver.

Azoth

Ross G Caldwell said:
[

Printing in the 19th century began to use the four-colour CMYK (Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-BlacK) method for making colours, and Camoin says somewhere that the colours on the tarot cards were simplified then.

In pre-19th century cards, you can make out more colours - they were stenciled, or applied directly by hand (painted). Camoin considers the old colours to have "initiatory" value, and I think he says there are eight. He uses these values rigorously on his new deck with Jodorowsky.

But the 1968 "Bicentennial" deck uses the 19th century industrial colours (exactly like the colour scheme of the Paul Marteau "Tarot de Marseille").
I see! Thanks for that.

stella01904

Ross G Caldwell said:
It is the same deck, and so is the Heron Conver.

The difference is that the Bicentennial deck Azoth is thinking of buying is printed directly from the 1760 original plates, by hand, while the Heron is a photo-facsimile and Thunder Bay is a facsimile as well.

The Camoin Bicentennial is not a facsimile of the Conver - it IS the Conver.
MM ~ But the colors are different!
http://www.spiritone.com/~filipas/Masquerade/Reviews/marscomp.html

Also, I was under the impression that the Bicentenniel was published in 1960 and is different from the 1968 reprint, but I could be wrong...correct me if I am...

In any case I would give my eyeteeth for it! If you can get it, grab it! Besides which, Camoin is the best of the best to deal with, and they put a lot of care and quality into all their decks.
BB, Stella