Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Thoughtful

First seeing these decks on the Internet, I thought they looked tacky and busy. But then, I got my Morgan-Greer and I fell in love with it, even though I also didn't like it at first, basing on my impressions online. So I thought, why don't I give these decks a chance? I want to see the reason why they're popular. So which should I get first?

Funny l got the Morgan Greer and could not stand all the up close images, each to their own l say. l would definitely say go for the Gilded tarot its a wonderful little deck. Took me a while to get to know it at first, but it does reward you with really lovely and accurate readings. l also found it revved up my intuition hugely.
Not keen on the Legacy l found like feynrir that it was a bit over the top in the cheesy department. Tarot of Dreams would be a good choice as well.

faylie

Shadowscapes with book - I have deck with LWB, so essentially is it worth it for the book?
Tarot of the Magical Forest - would it be a kid friendly one to read/learn with 7 and 9 yr olds? I'd rather they didn't use the same deck as me as they can be prone to bending cards when shuffling
Tarot Mucha - I am looking for different styled RWS beginner, I do see plenty of similarities in Shadowscapes, but don't see it as close enough to be learning from a RWS book, would Mucha fill that place?

If you could only get one or two, which would you put as priority?
Is there a different one you would get instead?

FLizarraga

Tarot of the Magical Forest - would it be a kid friendly one to read/learn with 7 and 9 yr olds? I'd rather they didn't use the same deck as me as they can be prone to bending cards when shuffling

Sure --if we're talking about 7-to-9-year-old Hannibal Lecters....?

Am I the only one here who finds this deck too scary for words????????????????? :bugeyed:

Myrrha

Meta Land Tarot

Does anyone have the Meta Land Tarot?

Are the cards metallic? Some of them look that way on Facebook.
Are they all the same orientation or are some printed with the image going the long way on the cards? Maybe it just looks that way because some of the samples on FB are partial card images. How is the card stock?
Many thanks if someone could answer these questions and/or give your general impressions.

Ooooh this one does look lovely!

RiverRunsDeep

Does anyone have Tarot of the Trees? What do you have to say about it?

I have it, and I love it! The colors are absolutely gorgeous, and I love the small size of the cards. The images are simplified, spot-on renderings of the RWS tradition. It is a fabulous deck to use if you are not in the mood to look at a bunch of people. :)

RiverRunsDeep

Am I the only one here who finds this deck too scary for words????????????????? :bugeyed:

Oh, Fliz, this deck is SO not scary! If anything, the figures are sad and poignant, but mostly I think they are cute and adorable. :) A wonderful deck for young tarot readers, IMHO. (Unless, of course, the young reader has a phobia about large-eyed creatures. :D)

Alta

MetaLand Tarot

Are the cards metallic? Some of them look that way on Facebook.

No, not at all. No metallic ink, no gilded edges.

Are they all the same orientation or are some printed with the image going the long way on the cards? Maybe it just looks that way because some of the samples on FB are partial card images.

All of the images are upright. I hesitated for a bit because of the very abstract nature of some of the cards but they are all upright. The Courts, and only the Courts, are split in the centre and mirror each other top to bottom however it is not and upright/reversal effect, the two images are identical.

How is the card stock?

It is fine. Seems very standard to me but I may be one of the less picky people about cardstock and that may not be a detailed enough answer for you. On the matte side but smooth, that is, smooth cards but not shiny. Reasonably bendy, easy to shuffle.

Madrigal

Yes :p

FaintlyMacabre

Meta Land Tarot

There is a YouTube video by Elle (do not remember the last name) showing all the cards. She was happy since it matched her apartment. I found it was helpful since so many of the images I'd seen were cropped. It is a visually attractive deck.

Diana

Myrrha

Thanks Alta and Diana for the replies. Standard cardstock is fine with me I just wanted to make sure there aren't any real issues with the physical deck. I am a little disappointed that some of the cards don't have metalic accents, The Moon and some others look that way on FB But that is probably not so easy to do at an affordable price. I wish my apartment matched the sleek elegance of this deck! Will look at YouTube as soon as I can get to a real computer. Thanks!

This is minimal in a different way than the TdM, I'm feeling curious about how it will affect my reading.