The Book of English Magic

Grigori

I bought this book when holidaying in the UK last year, and read it on the flight home. It was a great read, though I wish I'd read it before my trip! It is an excellent tourist's guide to the UK, each chapter finishes with a list of places to visit and things to do connected to it's subject matter. Any tarot/magic interested tourist would find it a lot more useful than a Lonely Planet book.

Lillie

I saw it in a book shop.

But it was £25 :(

So I didn't.

And yeah, it made me think of Strange and Norrell too.

Le Fanu

Lillie said:
I saw it in a book shop.

But it was £25 :(

So I didn't.

And yeah, it made me think of Strange and Norrell too.
It's out in paperback now. Bet it's even cheaper from amazon sellers too...

baba-prague

Yes, I paid less than that on Amazon. It's a good read, but it's very light in content academically (rather a lot of stuff that you could just as well find on Wiki) and at times there seems to be a fair bit of irrelevant stuff in there to pack it out. But it's fun and a decent enough book if you just want something to dip in and out of.

Lela

I have this book, read it late last summer, and enjoyed it very much. Definitely an interesting read. This book could easily be used as a magical tour guide on a trip to England. If you're into the magical arts, you'll definitely like this book.

Nickigirl

Just noticed this thread and wanted to add my two cents. I'm only still in the first section of it but it is really readable and fun to read. I have no prior magical knowledge, and so far this book is great at explaining everything!
I'm totally enjoying it and hope others do too!

jema

Looks great, had to put it on the whislist (that is surprisingly short for an old librarian)
Thanks for bumping this excellent review.

Le Fanu

Looks great, had to put it on the whislist (that is surprisingly short for an old librarian)
Thanks for bumping this excellent review.
Isn't it available in paperback/second hand/amazon seller/very cheap yet?? :D

Babalon Jones

On my short list of Amazon desires now...Amazon US only has the hardcover though

Le Fanu

It's definitely worth getting. I found it such a fascinating and readable book. And still have it on my coffee table for dipping into a couple of years on.