The Ocean Oracle: Journey to the Shore and Beyond...

Simone

I have just discovered that I have this oracle - in French (and shame on me, I had all forgotten about it...)

Those are 200 cards, if we want to organise a study group, how about doing sub-groups for the the 4 groups Shelley suggests in her book (Behaviour, Interaction, Name and Appearance, Intuition (sorry if the words are not correct, translating back into English here) ) and talking about the different shells in those sub-group threads?

Just an idea, any other thoughts?

Ruby7

I think it would be great just to start at the beginning and go through each shell card by card (keeping in mind which group the shell is in). I've got some books on order from the library. I really am fascinated by this.

Ruby7

Skydancer

Please count me in also!!

Looking forward to this, but as yet I have nothing to share with you all.
I am, however, deeply touched by the stories here.
Healing, I am learning, happens very much in a 2 steps forward (up) and 1 step back. I wish it wasn't so -- but I think our bodies need to adjust to the new wellness, and so do not let us "rise up" too fast.

Time. Hasn't somebody or other proven there is no such thing? Ah well ... be that as it may.

I am off to study. And dream. But mostly .... dream.

*S*

Satori

Simone said:
I have just discovered that I have this oracle - in French (and shame on me, I had all forgotten about it...)

Those are 200 cards, if we want to organise a study group, how about doing sub-groups for the the 4 groups Shelley suggests in her book (Behaviour, Interaction, Name and Appearance, Intuition (sorry if the words are not correct, translating back into English here) ) and talking about the different shells in those sub-group threads?

Just an idea, any other thoughts?

I think that we are thinking on the same lines.
Because 200 threads on shells will get to be huge!!!
And one of the groups has 65 shells, so I'm not sure if doing the groups is the way either...
maybe sub groups? so that they are manageable?

Simone

5 shells per thread?

This is still just an idea, doing brainstorming here - 5 shells per thread would give us 40 threads - no more than the average oracle.

Not sure if this is feasible with the organisation of the shells?

Shelley?

shell oracle

Hi everyone,
I am learning to honor the very valuable lesson elf taught me. To avoid shell shock :) What might be useful is to select 10 shells from each of the 4 categories giving you 40 shells to start with.
Simone did a wonderful job of translating from Paroles de Coquillages (the french version of Ocean Oracle). I don't speak French, so it was a comforting treat for me to see your translation being so accurate...thank you for this peace of mind I did not even realize I sought.
The 4 categories are shells whose meanings derive from:
1) The behavior or anatomy of the animal
2) The interaction with man throughout history
3) The name or appearance of the shell
4) Simply from my intuition

I think it is fitting to share the information from razor clam now because it came from all four methods. I will admit that the categories are actually in order of my comfort zone. I began sticking to science so people would have a reason for a shell to have a meaning. I thought credibility was strongest if the meaning came from the behavior or anatomy, and least if it was just based upon my intuition. Again, please allow me to copy from the second book:

Sometimes, it is not the shells we find, but those we can’t find, that teach important lessons. Over the last two years, I have heard many people tell me that they can’t find Razor Clams. Shell divination translation…they can’t find compassion. This troubled me greatly. To understand why, I must explain that the derivation of the meanings come from four sources: 1) The behavior of the mollusk, the animal that creates and inhabits the shell, 2) its interaction with man, 3) its name and appearance and 4) intuition. My personality feels most comfortable when the meaning is derived from the first three categories. This allows me to say “Please, don’t take my word for it, it is here in this book.” For many years, all the shells’ meanings were based solely upon some scientific fact. The shells in my collection that weren’t in books didn’t become part of the divination shells.

This policy changed one day, when a shell broke. To keep its meaning available for clients, until I could get a new version of the broken shell, I used a stand-in of a different species. Of course, the client picked the stand-in, and she placed it in the center of her reading. I took a deep breath, and put my theory to the test. I interpreted the message based not upon the shell she selected, but upon the broken shell’s meaning. The session proved to be very healing for this client, and taught me the value of intention. This experience allowed the fourth category of shell meanings to evolve. They are meanings that don’t come from a book. Rather, they derive from a gut feeling or from meditating with a shell.

Over the years, I have found confirmations for some of these meanings years after the fact. I delight every time a shell changes categories from that precarious fourth intuitive section, to the more scientifically based other three methods. Now, I will return to my concerns about the Razor Clam comments. The meaning of compassion was based upon intuition, not book knowledge. With these random comments about futile searches for Razor Clams beginning to escalate, I knew this was vital in importance. The impact heightened when I received an email from someone asking me how I would interpret his recent pain from an old Razor Clam cut on his foot. I felt awkward responding. With nothing else to go on, I thought his cut meant that he was wounded by compassion. Perhaps, in his desire to be kind, he might have made inappropriate sacrifices. He could have been taken advantage of, or even been treated as a doormat. He may believe that compassion leads to pain and has hardened his heart in protection. The pain is his body’s method to allow his emotions around this to surface. Uncertain if my intuitive interpretation was an adequate reason to make these conclusions, I informed him of this and invited him to share more of what was happening at this time in his life. To my regret, I never heard back. This was unsettling because I felt a tremendous responsibility to the Razor Clams to do them justice. They were obviously trying to reach out to many people. I continued to discuss compassion, but it was difficult personally to only have intuition as a basis for my comments.

At Thanksgiving, my brother handed me an old library book that had been discarded by his library. It is called Strange Seashells and Their Stories, and was published in 1936. As I sat down to devour its contents, I found a section devoted to Razor Clams. The Razor Clam’s streamlined shape enables it to dig 5-6 feet underground at a pace exceeding a man with a shovel. In England, these clams were desirable for eating. Recognizing the futility of digging these clams out of their burrows, the English employed an alternative tactic. They sprinkled coarse salt on the ground over the clams’ holes. This forced the clams to surface because their systems could not tolerate the bitter salt. My mouth dropped open in awe. Even though it placed them in danger, the overriding need to cleanse themselves of bitterness took priority. Here was the connection to compassion! When we rid ourselves of all bitterness we are able to display compassion. The ultimate sign of compassion enables us to treat an enemy with mercy and kindness.

As advocates of compassion, the Razor Clams teach us the importance of eliminating the bitter anger and resentment from our hearts. These clams surface to their own peril because they can't abide bitterness. The bitter salt on the surface of the clams’ abode, equates to the salt we rub into our own wounds. As discussed in Houses of Healing, holding ourselves hostage to anger separates us from claiming our true power. Anger allows us to create distance in relationships and prevents us from investigating the genuine feelings that dwell beneath. Surface anger or resentment may mask underlying fear or insecurities. Compassion can't be found when we are mired in bitter anger and resentment.

Whether in personal battles or massive conflicts, our insecurities and fears surface. To alleviate this fear, we search for ways to obtain feelings of power and strength. When compassion is perceived as weakness, it becomes something to avoid; no wonder it can’t be found. Anger and hatred serve to separate us from accessing the compassion within us. Bitter feelings are used as justification for violent responses. Looking upon another as an opponent to conquer perpetuates the violence. When we understand Einstein’s premise that we can not solve a problem at the level at which it is created, we see that violence will inevitably reproduce violence. People become trapped in a vicious cycle based upon fear. How can we create a loving, peaceful world for our children using this recipe? The simple answer is that we can’t.

We need a bridge to transport us from our world of fear to a new world vision of love. In a seminar I attended called Relating Beyond Conditions taught by Milagros Phillips, she explained that compassion and forgiveness are the components from which this bridge is assembled. Looking back at my own thoughts regarding the email from the person who cut his foot on a Razor Clam, I can see that I believed that compassion might become a source of weakness and lead to pain due to inappropriate sacrifices. The Razor Clams have assisted me in gaining a new comprehension of the liberating strength inherent in compassion. Far from being a weakness, compassion is a quality to be cultivated. This will lead us to the true power we seek. When we are rooted in the truth of our love, no outside force can threaten us.

When man tries to introduce bitterness to the Razor Clams, they risk death attempting to rid their systems of that poison. They are instructing us that danger is relative. Living with bitterness harbored inside us is another form of, or even a fate worse than, death. If forgiveness (ridding ourselves of bitterness) is required to access compassion, these clams sacrifice their lives to make us aware of its importance. They are educating us that holding on to those bitter feelings places us all in peril.

I can’t improve upon this beautiful quotation from Dr. Christiane Northrup: “Imagine all the angels and non-physical beings who are working on the other side to protect and uplift all of us. Know that they can only do their work in an atmosphere of compassion, not condemnation. The energy of condemnation will prevent them from connecting with the hearts of those who most need their inspiration and love.”

Simone

Wow... thank you Michelle!

This makes me think about the fact that so far, when picking up shells, I have always discarded Razor Clams as "boring" lol...

I guess that means I reject it?

I mean I am very compassionate towards others usually, but I think accepting / taking it is difficult for me, although I would not say it's boring :)

lark

When I was reading it it made me a little scared.
I saw more of a big picture of the world.
What does it say about our world that Razor Clams are hard to find now?
Sometimes nature sends us hints that we can chose to see or chose to ignor.
Is that little Razor Clam sending us a big message?

Skydancer

Fascinating, Shelley ~

The clam puts itself in peril to rid itself of the salt. I had trouble, at first, tying this to compassion, but reading on helped to clear it up. I think I understand your reasoning. I enjoy your writing, btw; your weaving of prose.

My copy of your cards and book are on their way - and I am eagerly awaiting their arrival.

I don't believe in fate, per se, but it was indeed a fortuitous moment when I happened across this thread. :)

S:OL

[added:] To avoid "shell shock" I vote for no more than 5 shells at a time. Too much too fast will keep us from fully digesting the material, and finding relationships within our own lives. And when someone misses a few days here, which happens to me frequently, it is too much (overwhelming) to try and catch up on it all.

my 2¢

tmgrl2

Another beautiful summary!

Just today....we found out that a friend of my husband's was in the hospital dying from (or still living with) cancer. I'll shorten the story, but when my hubby became blind and while I was still working, this friend (a very eccentric man, who has lived only with his parents and then, alone, after they died...and he is nearly 70)

took my husband out every Wednesday to a local Italian eatery...they laughed and spent hours in friendship. Then they had a falling out. The friend developed a crush on a young girl, whose family was connected to the restaurant. She led him on whether by intent or ignorance and he became threatened when my husband was around them (My husband is 77 years old and we are happily married)....since my hubby draw speople toward him...makes them laugh and feel good.

So...a falling out happened. Ron pursued this young woman. That fell through, but by this time, my hubby's friend had stormed out of our house one day...saying "With friends like you who needs enemies!"

So, now, both of them aren't well, although Ron may die sooner than my hubby given the stage of his metastatic cancer. I keep saying to Tony, "Call him... ...compassion is in order here. The man is dying."

Well...today, I just took myself right up to the hospital (Tony can't go to visit there yet)....Ron was thrilled to see me...started crying....we talked for several hours. He wants to die and be with his parents since he has no one...

I told him he has people who love him and that moments of love are all we can all hope for in life. He said..."Well I have you and Tony, Dave (his neighbor) Fred (from the restaurant) and Vilma (widow of a friend)....and that's it...

"That's a lot!! " I answered....

Anyhow, while I was there, I called Tony and the two of them talked for almost a half hour...my Tony said outright..."We were both too proud to call each other...."

So....

Compassion ruled the day....and led to some peacemaking ....and now to some time that we can use to share love with a dying man.

Your piece on the Razor Clam, Shelley, was so serendipitous...today of all days....Compassion was my watch-word for the year....This man cried and cried and wants to die, but was so happy to see me and to talk to my husband....

Thank you....

My deck and book may not come for some time, since it was combined with another part of the order that isn't available....hopefully it will go out soon.

terri