Is death always about endings??

Enlightenment23

As many others have said, yes something does end. Death is about endings, but people tend to tack on "transformation" to the card because one of the symptoms of endings is change.

BUT the ending doesn't have to be the relationship!

I've pulled the Death card for my cousin who was becoming a father for the first time in his life. He could no longer be the old guy he once was - partying, drugs, never coming home, not having money. He knew would have to completely change his ways to become the best father he could be for his daughter.

The relationship didn't end, but his old ways did. And also his perspective changed. And as a result of that, things changed. :)

Non-romance related, I've seen the Death card pop up when I've invested so much time into an idea for a project, and I realize it just doesn't work. I had to scrap it, delete everything, and start all over with something new.

So Death is about endings - whether they're good or bad. I think that's the biggest concern here for you. You are unclear whether whatever ending is looming your way for this relationship is positive or negative. I'd pull a clarifier to figure out what change is expected.

Sulis

There is always an ending with Death, that's why it's called Death.. I think if you lay cards out, the Death card may show the death of the card that went before it.
I've added my thoughts on the whole spread to your thread in Your Readings.

JMI_Tarot

My interpretation of the Death card has always been about seeing the truth. Death always seems to be pointing, often into the light, and the people are afraid to look. We busy ourselves so much with distractions and create mythologies around people and situations and I always think Death is saying, "Cut through the s**t" or more poetically, "Take the scales from your eyes".

Think of the way people who know they are dying, or have been close to death, have a pretty low threshold for BS.

So in this case, I would think Death was telling me to look straight at something, with no illusions, no wishful thinking, as well as with no imagined negativity or undo fear. Dare to see what is really there and work with that.

Awkward.turtle91

As many others have said, yes something does end. Death is about endings, but people tend to tack on "transformation" to the card because one of the symptoms of endings is change.

BUT the ending doesn't have to be the relationship!

I've pulled the Death card for my cousin who was becoming a father for the first time in his life. He could no longer be the old guy he once was - partying, drugs, never coming home, not having money. He knew would have to completely change his ways to become the best father he could be for his daughter.

I like that it doesn't have to be the end of the relationship. I think I've said this before I'm not sure, but it's sort of like if we only get to talk in a certain environment something will have to change so that we could talk out side that environment, and get to know each other and develop the friendship a bit more rather then focusing on a romance?

The relationship didn't end, but his old ways did. And also his perspective changed. And as a result of that, things changed. :)

Non-romance related, I've seen the Death card pop up when I've invested so much time into an idea for a project, and I realize it just doesn't work. I had to scrap it, delete everything, and start all over with something new.

I like what you've said a lot, perhaps my perspectives need to change and my ways. Perhaps I do need to start being a little more confident and enjoying my time rather then feeling nervous/awkward.

So in my position it would literally be going back to the basics, strip everything off and start again.

Death is about endings - whether they're good or bad. I think that's the biggest concern here for you. You are unclear whether whatever ending is looming your way for this relationship is positive or negative. I'd pull a clarifier to figure out what change is expected.

I'll definitely do that tomorrow, or later this evening. I'm all tarot'd out today and I think the your reading news feed has seen enough of my posts [emoji23].

I am unclear on if it's a bad change or a good one.

Xx

Awkward.turtle91

There is always an ending with Death, that's why it's called Death.. I think if you lay cards out, the Death card may show the death of the card that went before it.
I've added my thoughts on the whole spread to your thread in Your Readings.

Thankyou Sulis for taking the time out to respond on both Spread, it means a lot.

I hadn't thought of that before, the cards showing the death of what went before that it is. It's intriguing.

I'll comment back to you in a second. :)

cherryberry

I have drawn death for how things will go between me and my love interest this evening. ....not looking forward to it....I will let you know how it goes. It may be insightful

Well nothing dramatic happened. We were talking about meeting for lunch but that will proof tricky so he suggested the weekend, so nothing dramatic at all.

Maybe death was about that the initial plans won't work out?

Awkward.turtle91

Well nothing dramatic happened. We were talking about meeting for lunch but that will proof tricky so he suggested the weekend, so nothing dramatic at all.

Maybe death was about that the initial plans won't work out?

Mmmmmm I like that idea also, so like perhaps I need to be their friend for now and no romance yet.

I'll bare that in mind next time it's funny how it isn't always dramatic ..

cherryberry

Mmmmmm I like that idea also, so like perhaps I need to be their friend for now and no romance yet.

I'll bare that in mind next time it's funny how it isn't always dramatic ..

i actually thought its good news as lunch is pressed for time but on the weekend there will be more time, so not sure how death might apply here,

euripides

Most of the time, yes. I think we try to water it down a lot because it's not comfortable.

However an alternative reading might be to think about the Memento Mori, and death as a common presence in Renaissance art saying 'sum quod eris', what I am, you will be. Don't get above yourself, rich boy, you're mortal like everyone else, and you can't take these furs and silks that I'm painting to the grave.

Or perhaps - vivere disce, cogita mori - learn to live, remember death. So in that sense Death might be saying 'Everything ends, everyone dies, stop worrying about it and enjoy the moment'.

Ace

I am looking over this thread and I have to say: I just don't agree. Death in tarot has only meant REAL death once for me in about 30 years of reading. The Robin Wood deck has a good Death card: he blocks the road and points down a smaller (road less traveled? :rolleyes:) path.

The RWS also is not about death of a person: Death there, on his white horse, is mowing down a king, a pope, and a family--institutions, not people.

I may be nitpicking, but I just can't say Death means endings. Not even most of the time. It is transformation and in that sense it can mean an end, but not an ending in and of itself. It is ending only that it leads to something ELSE.

My 2 cents.

And BTW: I recently saw Death in the cards for someone (the father of a the querent who had stage 4 cancer) The card that I pulled was the 8 of cups.

barb