Lenormand - Treppner Course

Lee

Hi Gavriela,

I agree that people working with Sylvie's method might want to consider not reading other materials for as long as they're working on Sylvie's method, and I think you make an excellent point. However, I had decided not to work with Sylvie's method, and thus I was very pleased to learn that there was another source of Lenormand material in English. Since there may be other people in the same situation, I'm glad faunabay posted the info about the Treppner course. I think it's great when people have as many choices as possible to choose from.

I'm completely in favor of politeness, but I'm not quite sure why I need to notify someone after buying the course materials from Iris. Unless I'm misunderstanding...

-- Lee

Gavriela

Oh, no, Lee, you're fine. I like the course that Iris and family put together very much - I just didn't want people to start dissing Sylvie's work, especially if that's what they started out with.

Gavriela

Astraea said:

The English translation of the course is excellent. The course is sold for as little as $1 on eBay, but that constitutes a violation of the Treppners' copyright -- the 24-Euro course is worth the price, and it will help to support the Treppners' good work....

There may be people selling a pirated version of the course on Ebay but I have seen the Treppners selling it on Ebay from time to time as well, in an attempt to reach out to the English speaking market.

One of the reasons I invited Guido to this forum was to help promote the course - hopefully that's starting to happen now, roundabout way as it is - I just want to make sure he and Iris are aware of what's happening if people are planning to use the course materials over here.

And of course, I'm hopelessly biased, because I do think that their course is the best on the market today in English, I've learnt a lot from Kathe (my own methods are the same and different - that's true of every reader, I think, but I did learn a lot about interpretive methods from her), and I do the odd spot of helping people out over at their forum (much less so since I've been really sick, though).

I just wanted to stay out of it because of possible conflict of interest - Sylvie is here marketing her book. And as I said before - the more information from various points of view on Lenormand in English - the better. And if there is enough English-speaking interest, then there is the board at Rue de Tournon (it does have an English-language section), or it could be done here - just that since we do have a member of the family on this board, it seems courteous to inform him.

You can see some of his introductory material on this board as well - just to to this thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=81619

Happy studies, folks! :)

Nina*

Gavriela said:
I just wanted to stay out of it because of possible conflict of interest - Sylvie is here marketing her book. And as I said before - the more information from various points of view on Lenormand in English - the better. And if there is enough English-speaking interest, then there is the board at Rue de Tournon (it does have an English-language section), or it could be done here - just that since we do have a member of the family on this board, it seems courteous to inform him.

You can see some of his introductory material on this board as well - just to to this thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=81619
Thanks for this link, Gavriela. Is this the exact same material as the Treppner one?

Besides that I don't see this could (should!?) cause a conflict; Treppner's material has, as well as Sylvie's book, every right to be marketed here.
I think it's wonderful that we have more than one source.

Gavriela

It isn't the exact same material as the course, Nina - it's drawn from the course, but it's shortened both because people on forums don't like to read 36 lengthy posts in a row and of course it's also advertising - if you like it, you can buy the book and get more.

It's tip-of-the-iceberg stuff, in other words, and was done to try to generate some interest.

Well - maybe we finally have. It just strikes me as ironic the way it came about - but I'm glad that Lenormand and the Treppners are both getting some long-overdue attention.

Nina*

Gavriela said:
Well - maybe we finally have. It just strikes me as ironic the way it came about - but I'm glad that Lenormand and the Treppners are both getting some long-overdue attention.
Yes. You're right! :heart:

Gavriela

For future reference, the LEGIT Ebay ID for the course is mlle_lenormand

Astraea

Gavriela said:
There may be people selling a pirated version of the course on Ebay but I have seen the Treppners selling it on Ebay from time to time as well, in an attempt to reach out to the English speaking market.
Thank you for posting the legitimate eBay contact name for the Treppners. Their website includes a plea for people to purchase the material from them, so it's good to know that they have a presence of their own on eBay.

Sheri

I, for one, am excited to see different methods of reading Lenormand coming out. In my opinion, being exposed to different methodologies in reading Lenormand is no different than a new Tarot reader being exposed to different methodologies reading Tarot. I think it is exciting when an author or deck creator stops in and offers members insight and guidance into their methods or what they produced because members here showed interest in it.

This forum is exclusive to no one person's method. ALL methods of reading ALL cards are welcome here for our benefit, so we can pick and choose and tweak what works best for us. After all, the power of the tools comes from us. :D

Mmmmmm, Lenormand smorgy is open :D

valeria (shameless enabler of Oracle studies)

faunabay

Gavriela said:

I wanted to start this thread to let people know there is another english "book" available on lenormand. But this whole "marketing" thing....I don't like our forum here turning into a place to come only to "market" your wares. I realize it happens now and again but that's what the advertising section is for.

Just being honest....that's what turned me off of Sylvie's threads. It didn't seem to be a true passing on of information but a marketing tool. I've said quite a few times - I love Sylvie's book (am very glad I bought it) and I respect her knowledge. She has alot of information in there and I really like her no lay out way of reading.

But what I've loved for many years about aeclectic has been how "real" people can get together and talk about things - with maybe a author or artist jumping in every once in a while to give a bit of information. But then leaving us to our own. For example Mary Greer stops by on occasion to the 21 Ways study group based on her book. But she leaves them to what they're doing. She doesn't try to steer them in any way.

And while I think it's wonderful that Guido is here on aeclectic I, like Lee, don't see why it would be "courteous" to let him know we're talking about the Treppner Course. I'm sure if he gets on aeclectic now and again he'll see that we are. And I'd welcome his comments as long as they don't turn into a marketing tool.

I think, again to be honest, Sylvie has made me a bit sensitive to the "marketing ploy". "Let me be your teacher but you have to buy what I'm selling first." :( I know I'll get over it, but that's where I am right now. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, but you know....honesty and all that. :)