Lenormand - Treppner Course

faunabay

Nina* said:
Besides that I don't see this could (should!?) cause a conflict; Treppner's material has, as well as Sylvie's book, every right to be marketed here.
I think it's wonderful that we have more than one source.

I started to type something kind of nasty and edited myself. :)

What it boils down to is there is NO conflict when providing honest information. When "real" people are passing on information about something they enjoyed and learned alot from....Great! You all know that authors aren't "real" people don't you? LOL

I hope you get what I'm trying to say. When people are excited about something and pass on the information that's entirely something different than marketing to make money.

Astraea

When we let one another know about a good thing, when we pool our information and brainstorm, the alchemy can be wonderful...something might be born that turns out to be greater than the sum of its parts. I appreciate choice, and the opportunity to share with fellow Aeclecticians independently of marketing issues, per se. It's one of the things that makes this forum special.

faunabay

Astraea said:
When we let one another know about a good thing, when we pool our information and brainstorm, the alchemy can be wonderful...something might be born that turns out to be greater than the sum of its parts. I appreciate choice, and the opportunity to share with fellow Aeclecticians independently of marketing issues, per se. It's one of the things that makes this forum special.

EXACTLY!!
Thank you for saying it so well!!

Nina*

faunabay said:
I started to type something kind of nasty and edited myself. :)
By all means... get nasty... I assure you I can take it! :)

Besides that I agree... Sylvie's way of ''teaching'' has put me off too.
I like her book though (well, I like the card interpretations), but if I would have to choose I'd prefer Treppner's material.

faunabay

Nina* said:
By all means... get nasty... I assure you I can take it! :)

**ROFL**

I'm not sure I can though. :D

Beside it wasn't a nasty comment directed to you but just about the whole situation. I agree with what you said completely.

MatPoint

Yes, I don't like Sylvies ways of marketing her book either. I made it clear in another post.

About the Treppner course is just great. As Gavriela said, it is just the greatest course available in English language.

Not only they give you a long list of combos, but also very detailed meanings. In addition, I think that the strongest point of Treppner's book is the reading techniques.

The "Time Board" is just great. I would change a few things here (meanings), but the method is very useful.

WolfyJames

Personaly, I am thankful that Sylvie showed up and talked about her book and I am glad to have it, it's filled with good informations. It is better than the books I've seen in French on the Petit LeNormand. I think it's nice of her to dedicate some time here to make us understand her method and how her no layout layout works with the exercises she has given us here, she has no obligation whatsoever to do so and yet she does. I am guessing she is preparing herself for that workshop of hers in Los Angeles and the chances of us participating in it in the future is none.

As for plugging her book, Sylvie cannot give out all the informations in her book, she still has to make a living, and even there she does not get much from her book sales, like 5-8% probably, so being here and plugging her book won't make her a zillionaire, especialy that the tarot and oracles enthousiasts are a very little number of people among the general population. There are far more people who enjoy sport than those who dabble with tarot or Petit LeNormand.

She is giving us here what she knows and works for her and she probably does not want people getting confused with other methods that work differently, for the moment.

Lee

Over the years on ATF, there's been a bit of a conflict over authors/artists and their participation on the forum. When an author/artist creates a work and comes to the forum to begin or to participate in discussions on it, there are usually some members who think it's great, and others who think it's marketing and resent it.

And everyone's reaction is different. For a few members, any presence at all by the author/artist is seen as marketing and resented. Then there are others whose tolerance is quite high and who will appreciate the author/artist's presence no matter how they post, as long as they're not going overboard with the self-promotion.

Personally, I believe how the author/artist posts has a lot to do with their reception. I think in general there's a lot more appreciation for someone who posts about their own work but who also posts about other topics as well and in general contributes to the community here, than there is for someone who has written/created something and comes to ATF specifically to discuss that work only, and never participates in discussion about other things, and who then leaves and we never hear from them again.

As an author myself, I'm at the point now where I actually prefer *not* to participate in discussions about my own work. Being a member of the community is, for me, more important at this point in my life than self-promotion. So I intend to post regarding my own work only if there's a specific piece of information that I feel will be helpful to someone, and other than that, I intend to let people discuss it freely, without my intereference.

I think it's fine for Sylvie to be here doing what she's doing. I can easily see how someone who has bought Sylvie's book will appreciate being able to interact with the author. It is a bit unusual for an author to come to ATF and conduct a "class" where she actually leads threads and is given the power to actually direct the discussion, but the moderators are obviously aware of it, and I assume Solandia is as well, and if they don't have a problem with it, then it's not for me to say that it's wrong.

By the same token, I think it's fine for individual members to decide they don't wish to participate in those threads. That's the situation I'm in. I bought Sylvie's book, I liked it, and I had expected to participate in the study threads, but I found that I felt uncomfortable with the threads. I can understand why it makes sense for Sylvie to direct the discussions in the way she does, but on this forum I'm accustomed to members having the freedom to post whatever they want as long as its on topic and within forum guidelines. I don't like feeling afraid to post something because the discussion leader may not like it.

Anyway, speaking of being on topic, let us not forget that the topic of this thread is the Treppner course! :D I'm enjoying the course. It's written in friendly, laid-back fashion that I respond well to. The course focuses on the method of laying out all 36 cards and spending a long time analyzing them, and that appeals to me.

Fortunately for us, nocoolname has posted the basic Treppner meanings in a thread, which Gavriela linked to earlier in this thread (thank you, Gavriela!). So if anyone wants to work with those meanings in a study thread, the resources are there (for free!). Personally, I've decided to work on my own for a while and see where that gets me.

-- Lee

stella01904

Astraea said:
Much better than being someone's little paying disciple and being kept in eternal neophyte status! And much, MUCH better than memorizing other people's opinions and calling it "learning"!

Methinks Ms. Steinbach doth protest too much....:lol:

Lenormand is the common language of everyday life. How can the associations of a dog, a house or a tree be the exclusive knowledge of one person, to dispense on the condition that one worships at their feet? That's wack.

Gavriela

Then I'll throw the gender tit-bits into the pot, since it was you - I think? that was having trouble with connecting them to the cards. If you have a Lenormand with the playing card insets, it's easier to see.

When it's a court, usually when it means a person, it's a person the same gender as the court is. Once in a while, no, as Sylvie said, but usually you'll see some other cards indicating that (in the case of the Child, it's often a child of either gender, or a young woman). It may take a little practise, but do look at the playing card inset if you're trying to work out who a person is.

Sometimes the Whips can mean siblings - not often, but it has come up in my readings. As can the birds, though they can represent a couple as well, or sometimes - bullies or nosy people. Storks and Paths can sometimes represent two women in the same family or two women who are friends.

As a rule (there are exceptions, and you'll get to understand them in practise) if a person is being referred to by a NON court card, then red cards are men and boys, black cards are girls and women. USUALLY. Not always. The Moon is a red card, and often it refers to a woman if it's talking about a person. Again - often. When you're reading for somebody you'll get a better idea of the story, and be able to pick up more of it in the cards.

And something to take into consideration on the playing card side of things. Mme Lenormand didn't invent the cards that bear her name, but I think she was responsible for this innovation:

In normal playing card reading, almost all systems, Spades are the trouble suit. Not so in Lenormand. Clubs look like crosses, and in 18th century Catholic France...that's how she took them. That's why most of the Clubs cards in Lenormand deal with sacrifice, hardship, obligation, or commitment (hence the Ring being in Clubs).

People screw that one up a lot. But look at who the Courts are here - the Clouds is the Clubs King. Sometimes not a very nice man, or sometimes an older relative, often an ex-husband - someone with whom you have an obligation. And also, if the Clouds are near a person card, especially the dark side of them, they can indicate a smoker (trivia, but sometimes useful). In French Cartomancy, I take the right side of the Clouds to be dark, because in my really old Dondorf (same pattern deck) they are darker on the right - it's harder to tell in the FC.

The Clubs Queen is the Serpent, who also has a rather bad reputation from time to time. She's not always bad, but she's far more likely to be unpleasant than the Spades Queen, who's the Flowers. And the Lillies is the Spades King (notice how they're both associated with flowers), who is not usually unpleasant, either. Can be, depending on the surrounding cards, but that's true of any of them. But not by itself.

I think some people not taking into account that the playing card meanings don't involve 'elements', but instead involve 'qualities' in the Lenormand system is one of the reasons some readings get so schiz, so to speak - like somebody will see the Flowers and say 'oh, you'll have a really nice time but a vicious woman will do something to ruin it'. No, nothing there to indicate that - they're just being thrown by the Spades inset. The Lady card is the Ace of Spades - that doesn't mean 'bad'.

Anyway, most of that is from my personal experience. Your mileage may vary, of course, and likely it will. But it's some of what I've picked up over the years, and a starting point if you haven't got one.

Cheers -
Gav