Lenormand - Treppner Course

Sophie

I have to say, Gavriela, that whenever you post about Lenormand, I want to hug you! You make it sound easy yet complex enough to keep me curious and studying for years!

I've been reading whatever I could find of Treppner's material free, and am now seriously considering doing their course - when I can manage the 50 euros, and just as important - the time commitment! But what I have found has impressed me, and Guido - whom I've had a few dealings with by PM - is helpful. I also go on Waldfee a fair amount, and have found it a valuable resource (thank god for google translation - my German is rusty). I have also been combing the net for French resources, which are scarcer than I had hoped, but still available. But on the whole, I prefer the German approach to the French one (despite being a francophone myself!). I would like to learn to do a full board, a timing board, etc. because these are useful for fortune-telling and just as important, to think about one's life development. It's not quick n' easy, but good things generally aren't.

I agree with Lee about authors/marketing/etc. There are ways and ways of talking about one's work. I like NoCoolName's best - having found it generous and modest. But I have Sylvie's book, and while I don't find it as revolutionary or different (or full of "secrets") as she claims, it's useful to have a solid Lenormand resource in English, and her book is exactly that.

On this site, the posts of MatPoint and Seaqueen are invaluable resources too, I want to add. I have read them several times (thank you MP and SQ!!). Seaqueen also has an excellent blog (which isn't only about Lenormand, but includes a lot of Lenormand material).

At the end of the day, to echo others, we grow with Lenormand by accessing a number of different sources, gleaning as much as we can from them, and adding our own views, based on our experience of the cards when confronted with reality. As you said once in another thread, Gavriela, Lenormand, especially in combos, is incredibly layered!

stella01904

Gavriela said:
Then I'll throw the gender tit-bits into the pot, since it was you - I think? that was having trouble with connecting them to the cards. If you have a Lenormand with the playing card insets, it's easier to see.
I have no problem seeing that the Kings are male. I asked what was male about Lily symbology. You said it was a reference to the medallion. Someone else (not you!) twisted that to make it look like I was a beginner and "needed" to learn a certain person's method - for $$, of course. Spot the con? BTW, I have been reading Lenormand for some time and I admin at another oracle forum. And I'm too old to fall for that "nobody knows anything but me so send money" line, lol. :smoker:
And something to take into consideration on the playing card side of things. Mme Lenormand didn't invent the cards that bear her name, but I think she was responsible for this innovation:

In normal playing card reading, almost all systems, Spades are the trouble suit. Not so in Lenormand. Clubs look like crosses, and in 18th century Catholic France...that's how she took them. That's why most of the Clubs cards in Lenormand deal with sacrifice, hardship, obligation, or commitment (hence the Ring being in Clubs).
Yep, I've noticed the "trouble cards" bearing Club medallions, for the most part. I wouldn't be too quick to ascribe this to Mlle. Lenormand, either. No one can even prove where the deck came from - it appeared some time after her death, as did the Grand Jeu. Most 19th century oracle decks bear either the "Lenormand" or "Gypsy" moniker, lol.
The Clubs Queen is the Serpent, who also has a rather bad reputation from time to time. She's not always bad, but she's far more likely to be unpleasant than the Spades Queen, who's the Flowers. And the Lillies is the Spades King (notice how they're both associated with flowers), who is not usually unpleasant, either. Can be, depending on the surrounding cards, but that's true of any of them. But not by itself.
Again, I don't think of the Snake as being the Queen of Clubs. I think it is a mistake to view the deck as pictorial keys to some kaput cartomantic method that nobody uses anymore. I can't prove that it has never BEEN this, but it seems redundant to read the same meaning twice on each card. You get a much better reading by free-associating the pictures and reading the medallions according to more commonly accepted cartomantic methods.

As far as Bouquet/QS, you have cut flowers and a woman who is commonly associated with widowhood or sadness of some kind. So these do seem to to harmonise, in a "once-removed" kind of way. But I don't try to match the cards to the medallions.

stella01904

BTW, I've started a thread for free Lenormand resources here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=88633
:smoker:

But for the most part, while I think it should be practiced with often, it's a mistake to make a major study out of it the way one might do with TdM. The point is for the mind to remain flexible!

What helps me most is reading different sytems - Sibilla, Tarot, Mexican bingo cards! These all help. Everything is an oracle. :) You could walk around your home shooting pictures of random objects, shuffle the photos and have an oracle. "Bed" + "Medicine Cabinet" would point to illness, but "Bed" + "Lingeree Drawer" has another inflection entirely, lol!

Sophie

stella01904 said:
"Bed" + "Medicine Cabinet" would point to illness, but "Bed" + "Lingeree Drawer" has another inflection entirely, lol!
ROFL! Love it :D

Sheri

Moderator note

The topic of this thread is the Treppner Course and the study of it - not for commentary on others' methods nor the introduction of anyone's particular method. Posts not discussing the Treppner method will be moved/removed shortly. Please keep posts on topic or they will be removed.

There are many people here that have their own methods for reading Lenormand decks. That is fantastic, but please start separate threads for discussions of those methods so that they can be easily found in future searches.

Blessings,

Oracles forum moderating team

Sophie

valeria said:
I, for one, am excited to see different methods of reading Lenormand coming out. In my opinion, being exposed to different methodologies in reading Lenormand is no different than a new Tarot reader being exposed to different methodologies reading Tarot. I think it is exciting when an author or deck creator stops in and offers members insight and guidance into their methods or what they produced because members here showed interest in it.

This forum is exclusive to no one person's method. ALL methods of reading ALL cards are welcome here for our benefit, so we can pick and choose and tweak what works best for us. After all, the power of the tools comes from us. :D
Totally agree with what you wrote here, Valeria :) - the more the merrier.

Mmmmmm, Lenormand smorgy is open :D
Cool. I'm hungry!

faunabay

The more I read and use the treppner course the more I like it.
Fudugazi, I don't think you'd be disappointed at all. And it's not 50 euros either. There is a forumless version that's only 24.?? euros. Or you can get the course with forum access for about 74 euros.

Astraea

Hi Faunabay. Just a bit of clarification -- the course-plus-forum cost is 49 Euros and change (which does work out to about $74 dollars US). The course alone, without forum access, is a little over 24 Euros. For non-German speakers, the course alone is a good choice (though there is a small section of the forum for English speakers, it is not densely populated).

Sheri

Fudugazi said:
Totally agree with what you wrote here, Valeria :) - the more the merrier.

Cool. I'm hungry!

Thanks, Fudugazi :D

I just ordered the Treppner Course using Lee's instructions. Very easy!

It must be pretty substantial - the Table of Contents is lengthy and detailed :bugeyed:

Now, to wait impatiently for the documents :D

:love: valeria

Sheri

W:bugeyed:W!

That was fast - I just received the course from Iris :D I just ordered it about an hour ago!

She also told me that they are working on an English speaking website, too!

:love: valeria